Veg*n Restaurants

L

luckystar

Let's try this again.

So there aren't many veg*n, or even particularly veg*n-friendly restaurants besides Chipotle in Southern Maryland to my knowledge, so I thought it might be nice to have a thread noting and reviewing any within weekend-driving range. I'll start with Chipotle:

Chipotle:
Isn't bad, but they don't always understand the meaning of vegan as opposed to vegetarian and try to, or sometimes even auto-pilot put on cheese and sour cream. And then you feel like a jerk asking them to start over . It's never been bad though, as it always seems they're perfectly happy to make you a new bowl or burrito if something ends up on there you don't want.

However, their guacamole is vegan, and delicious, and beans are free and clear of any lard, unlike Taco Bell's.

Sticky Rice:
2232 W. Main Street
Richmond, VA
(804)-358-7870

I was blown away. This was my first experience at a truly veg-friendly restaurant. Items on the menu were marked (ve) for vegan, or (v/o) for vegan/vegetarian option. I ordered the vegetable tempura and spicy avocado sushi, both of which were perfect. There was a sweet sauce drizzled over the tempura, and there was almost more than I could eat. There was sweet potato, asparagus, pineapple, broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots. And onions... there was a lot on that plate. Not to mention the food came in record time, and the service was absolutely spectacular. You can tell the people that work there like what they do and enjoy each others' company, which is the perfect start to a comfortable atmosphere.

Anyway, I guess overall I was just really happy to see so many options for me. I'm going back this tonight and I'll be sure to try something new, and let you all know how it was :)

L

luckystar

In response to Cowgirl's question from the deleted thread, I write veg*n to include both veg(etaria)n and veg(a)n.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Haha nice.

CD cafe has some vegetarian dishs for sure. They may have some vegan..if you call ahead and ask I am sure they would be happy to answer. They have been nice to work with for my dietary requests, so if they could help you I am sure they would let you know, and try to work with you.

Also, in a semi related note..if you check on QVC one of the designers (I forget which) has some of the nicest and best looking faux fur items I have ever seen. I really despise fur, so to see excellent alternatives is great!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This would be a good thread for vegan recipes, too. You've made some pretty tasty meals since you started this.

Jameo

What?!
And take your vitamins! (Im sure you already know this :lmao:) when I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia I don't know how many times I was asked if I was a vegetarian (which I'm not)

L

luckystar

Haha nice.

CD cafe has some vegetarian dishs for sure. They may have some vegan..if you call ahead and ask I am sure they would be happy to answer. They have been nice to work with for my dietary requests, so if they could help you I am sure they would let you know, and try to work with you.

Also, in a semi related note..if you check on QVC one of the designers (I forget which) has some of the nicest and best looking faux fur items I have ever seen. I really despise fur, so to see excellent alternatives is great!

Haha, yeah. And thanks for popping back in with the CD Cafe suggestion. I was going to repopulate the actual suggestions, but got sidetracked. I appreciate it.

I think the other one was Bollywood Masala. Did I spell that right? I still have to go check that out. Oh, and Thai Inter was mentioned and they have tofu :yay:

This would be a good thread for vegan recipes, too. You've made some pretty tasty meals since you started this.

I know, and I never used to cook! Now I'm cooking every night. I'll log in this weekend with something from my new cookbook. I'm going to cook something out of it for B on Friday.

L

luckystar

And take your vitamins! (Im sure you already know this :lmao:) when I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia I don't know how many times I was asked if I was a vegetarian (which I'm not)

Actually, it's a huge misconception that vegans don't get their vitamins, especially protein. Vegetarians do just fine, and the only thing that vegans have to worry about, which is rare unless you meticulously wash your vegetables, is B12. Most B12 is found in soil and you only really run the chance of developing a deficiency if you wash everything you eat. Even then, lots of breads and other foods are fortified with B12. Honestly, I don't wash my grapes at all, and I'm alive.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think the other one was Bollywood Masala. Did I spell that right? I still have to go check that out. Oh, and Thai Inter was mentioned and they have tofu :yay:

Be careful w/Bollywood. I know two people who were violently ill after having dinner there one night.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Actually, it's a huge misconception that vegans don't get their vitamins, especially protein. Vegetarians do just fine, and the only thing that vegans have to worry about, which is rare unless you meticulously wash your vegetables, is B12. Most B12 is found in soil and you only really run the chance of developing a deficiency if you wash everything you eat. Even then, lots of breads and other foods are fortified with B12. Honestly, I don't wash my grapes at all, and I'm alive.

You get your B12 from my energy drinks. :yay: 4900% RDA.

Jameo

What?!

Interesting.

You get your B12 from my energy drinks. :yay: 4900% RDA.

Yeah, they are loaded with B12.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Be careful w/Bollywood. I know two people who were violently ill after having dinner there one night.

Do they eat "different" food often? I know that Indian food could be difficult on the stomach if their diets are pretty basic and unexciting.

I've been there multiple times and know other people who have been there often that haven't had any problems, but I guess food can affect people differently.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Interesting.

Yes, it is. I've never taken vitamins, and have done a little research. Most of a pill form vitamin will pass through the body without being absorbed. Total and complete waste of money.

I've also read that if you eat a balanced diet, you will usually get the vitamins you need.

I think she may need to work on her iron.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yes, it is. I've never taken vitamins, and have done a little research. Most of a pill form vitamin will pass through the body without being absorbed. Total and complete waste of money.

I've also read that if you eat a balanced diet, you will usually get the vitamins you need.

I think she may need to work on her iron.

Spinach salad! :yum:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Jani, Sharon and I had lunch at Bollywood last weekend and it was mega delish :yay: Lucky won't care about the chicken I had, but it was served on a bed of charred kale that was out of this world and you could eat by itself.

If I were a vegan, I'd ask them to do me bunch of veggies on the char plate because that was some tasty stuff.

L

luckystar

Vegan Spinach Recipes

But you have probably already seen this... :smile:

Vegweb I've seen, but I wasn't even thinking about it for dinner tomorrow. If there's nothing in the cookbook I just got I may just look over there. I need to go to the grocery store anyways, so we'll see. That Boston Market-esque Creamed Spinach looks delish.