Dow Jones 10,000?

After falling to around 6,500 in March of this year, a mere 46% of its all time high set just a year and a half earlier, the DJIA has enjoyed an incredible rally. It now stands poised to climb back above 10,000, a level it first exceeded in March of 1999.

At last check it was at 9,906.88, down slightly from its intra-day high of 9,931.82. So, the question is, can it make it - or, is the psychological 10,000 barrier a bridge too far?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
After falling to around 6,500 in March of this year, a mere 46% of its all time high set just a year and a half earlier, the DJIA has enjoyed an incredible rally. It now stands poised to climb back above 10,000, a level it first exceeded in March of 1999.

At last check it was at 9,906.88, down slightly from its intra-day high of 9,931.82. So, the question is, can it make it - or, is the psychological 10,000 barrier a bridge too far?

Of course, it ALWAYS recovers, it ALWAYS will recover.. with or without TRILLIONS of dollars injected into the economy.. independent of who is or isn't president.

Some people never learn. That ass whipping they took in the market before ,must have been forgotten.

Depends on who 'they' is - some people didn't take a whipping in the market because they actually pay attention when they have money invested in something. The people who fared the worst are the ones who weren't paying attention, rode the decline most of the way down, and then got out near the bottom for emotional reasons rather than due to meaningful value analysis and risk-reward potential contemplation.

Of course, it ALWAYS recovers, it ALWAYS will recover.. with or without TRILLIONS of dollars injected into the economy.. independent of who is or isn't president.

Sure, assuming the society doesn't collapse in the meantime, the markets (generally) will recover (an already have to a great extent). The question is when or how fast.

Beta84

They're out to get us

No this is clearly because of Obama. What? I can't hear you! :lalala: talk to the hand :lalala:

Yeah what Bob said. :yay:

exnodak

Consider this.

Given all of the money printed and put into circulation since March, the Dollar is now worth only 60% of what it was worth in March.

Does that mean that the Market is really not correcting itself, but only adjusting to the value of the dollar?

As the dollar devalues the market will always go up to accomodate the increase in the number of dollars required to offset the reduction in the value of the dollar. That can only go so far as long as the intrinsic value of the dollar is something more than just paper and ink. Once it becomes junk, its junk and the market that is represented in dollars will also be value-less.

10,000 is meaningless in the face of an endless printing process.

The Index may flirt with the 10,000 level this morning, after Intel posted much better than expected earnings and revenue after the bell yesterday, and JP Morgan posted much better than expected E & R this morning.

It closed yesterday at 9871.06.

Not only did it reach 10,000 intra-day, but it managed to close above 10,000. It looks like it will remain there this morning, after Goldman Sachs just reported blowout numbers on the top and bottom lines.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Not only did it reach 10,000 intra-day, but it managed to close above 10,000. It looks like it will remain there this morning, after Goldman Sachs just reported blowout numbers on the top and bottom lines.

It's all good. I'm an optimist & think it will stay above 10,000 for awhile.

The market goes in cycles and I took the opportunity while it was down to buy more. I'm glad I did, I know people who totally cashed out when it was down.

Stick to the old adage - 'Buy low, sell high'.

exnodak

It's all good. I'm an optimist & think it will stay above 10,000 for awhile.

The market goes in cycles and I took the opportunity while it was down to buy more. I'm glad I did, I know people who totally cashed out when it was down.

Stick to the old adage - 'Buy low, sell high'.

Being optimistic is great, but I need verification with my trust. I will be closely watching the bond market for some back door balance. The stock market's meteoric rise suggests volatility which could be very bad for the bond market and all those state and municipal debts out there.

Franchot says we are broke. That also means the State is having trouble getting bond funding. Other states are reporting the same situation. So, I wouldn't get too jubilant about the stock market if it will force states to go to tax increases to refinance their debts.

If the rise in the stock market comes at the expense of the bond market, that is NOT a recovery but an adjustment being made by profiteering. It will take several days or weeks to see exactly what is happening.

We are seeing expectations beat after expectations beat this earnings season - with many of those beats being blowouts. Pfizer, DuPont, Apple, Caterpillar, Coca-Cola - one after another, major companies are reporting earnings surprises to the upside. Some of that is obviously due to lowered expectations. That said, this might well go down as the best earnings quarter (relative to expectations) ever. It will certainly be one of the best.

Apple's gonna open over 200 this morning - it was in the 70s in January.

bcp

In My Opinion
Use caution when investing right now.
Much of that gain is from the bailout, that means that they are trading on money that isnt there. Looks good on paper, but where will the payoffs come from if people pull quickly.