The Public Takes a News Quiz - Fails!

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
One question that always comes to mind when reading a poll: How much does the public know about the issues and current events it is being asked about, particularly complex ones like health care?

The Pew Research Center looked for some answers by giving 1,002 adults a news quiz, conducted Oct. 1-4. (You can take the quiz yourself here, but no cheating by looking first at the results which are below.)
The quiz included 12 multiple-choice questions and those who took it answered an average of 5.3 questions correctly.
The Public Takes a News Quiz ... and Doesn't Do So Well -- Politics Daily

The quiz here.

Is this a comment on the intelligence of Americans or the ineptness of the establishment media?

I have the belief it's a combination of both.

W

White Buddah

I missed the health care spendning question. All of the others I got right! :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's Your Score: You correctly answered 11 out of the 12 possible questions, which means you did better on the quiz than 93% of the general public.

I missed the unemployment rate. :ohwell:

I think people in general don't care about the news. It's boring and has nothing to do with real day to day life. Seriously, how does it benefit someone to know the name of the Fed Chairman?

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
I missed two.
top 4%.

thats a pretty sad statement about our society if you ask me.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I missed the border question. But seriously, I thought most of the questions were pretty easy. It's a matter of paying attention, not spending the entire day on the cell phone.

How in the world is it possible that, on average, people got 5.3 questions right? I find it difficult to believe that more than a handful of people got less than 6 right - and that is beyond sad as it is.

I think it is fair to say that some people intentionally answered questions wrong. They indicate that 6% got 0 right, and that would pretty much require intentionality. If you had no clue about any of the answers and just answered them randomly, you'd only have about a 0.6% chance of getting them all wrong.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, Thats the one that got me too. I believe most Forum people wont have much problem with this quiz, but we are more interested in what is going on in the world than most.

I must confess that the only reason I got the Dow Jones question is because of Tilted's thread. :lol:

The rest were a walk (except the one I missed). Surprised at the trouble people had with the Fed and Finance chairman. I could have named those without the multiple choice.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I missed the troops in A'stan...just couldnt remeber...but I got the rest..it was easy..I can't believe that so many people get those wrong..they are so basic..and repeated in the news on a daily basis...

awpitt

Main Streeter
I missed the troops in A'stan...just couldnt remeber...but I got the rest..it was easy..I can't believe that so many people get those wrong..they are so basic..and repeated in the news on a daily basis...

I missed that one also. Got the others right.