Worthy of mention

Fast Internet access becomes a legal right in Finland - CNN.com

Starting in July, telecommunication companies in the northern European nation will be required to provide all 5.2 million citizens with Internet connection that runs at speeds of at least 1 megabit per second.

On the other hand, the United States is the only industrialized nation without a national policy to promote high-speed broadband, according to a study released in August by the Communications Workers of America, the country's largest media union.

cool, a way for the gubmint to take over the internet and communications.

You know, I wasn't thinking along those lines. You're right. I just thought of all the folks we know that are still using dial-up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Out of all the things the government wants to provide for me, the only one I'm interested in is nationwide high speed wireless internet.

Pete

Repete
Could the internet be considered national infrastructure equal to the interstate and federal highway system?

firstroundko

Registered Devil Dog
Could the internet be considered national infrastructure equal to the interstate and federal highway system?

Interesting question.

Considering the ties that our economy and national defense have to it, I would say....yes.

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Blog-o-sphere

:howdy: I like that idea for Maryland and for the entire USA because otherwise we have the lower classes and working families that can not afford the Internet and it handicaps their betterment and their participation in the growth of society.

It works under the same principle as having public libraries in that our entire society benefits by giving the means of uplift to the entire population.

And I know there are computers at the Libraries but that is not the same as Internet in one's home.

:drummer:

bcp

In My Opinion
could be ok as far as the constitution goes I think, however, it certainly would not cover the computer to hook up to it.

look at it this way, compare the internet like the road system.
its covered under infrastructure, but its the individuals responsibility to purchase their own car (computer) or they are subjected to public transportation (library computers)

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Blog-o-sphere

could be ok as far as the constitution goes I think, however, it certainly would not cover the computer to hook up to it.

look at it this way, compare the internet like the road system.
its covered under infrastructure, but its the individuals responsibility to purchase their own car (computer) or they are subjected to public transportation (library computers)
:getdown: bcp, if we still had karma then I would give you a big dose of green on that post.

:howdy:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
:howdy: I like that idea for Maryland and for the entire USA because otherwise we have the lower classes and working families that can not afford the Internet and it handicaps their betterment and their participation in the growth of society.

It works under the same principle as having public libraries in that our entire society benefits by giving the means of uplift to the entire population.

And I know there are computers at the Libraries but that is not the same as Internet in one's home.

Let me get this straight. You believe access to the internets will raise people's standard of living and intellect. You have access to the internets and you certainly don't fulfill either of those outcomes. And you think we should vote you into a position of influence.

:killingme

It's all moot anyway if the govt takes it over. Sure, everyone will get a network connection, but the govt will dictate who gets how much bandwidth. Those that have lots will be forced to give it up to reallocate it to those who have little (sound like any other plans currently in effect?). And you think China is currently bad with censorship?? Once under govt control you may not have any say about what you can and can't access. It will no longer be free enterprise and unrestricted access.

I'm all for a plan to get broadband to everyone, just not under govt control.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I could go for laying around on my butt letting you guys all support me while I surf the intardweb all day and eat Cheetos. :yay:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

And with every new Government provided high speed line you get a free Obama shirt and song book... :dye:

bcp

In My Opinion
And with every new Government provided high speed line you get a free Obama shirt and song book... :dye:
NO, it would be just like the phone lines, or the electric lines.
Yes, they have to be installed and available, but there would be nothing to force someone to use them.
Phone lines? don't work unless you pay for the service
Electric? don't pay and see how bright the lights come on
Internet? yep, got a line, does it work? do you pay a bill for it? no? then it does not work.

like I said, same as the roads. they are public, and they are maintained with tax dollars, but can I use the interstate if I don't have a car, and don't ride a bus or cab? NO, I'm gonna get locked up for walking down the highway.
Can I drive that car without first paying for tags? no, so even with the roads there are financial obligations beyond the taxes paid to use that road.

I stand firm.
High speed internet could be considered a part of the infrastructure, and as such, the running of lines and the maintaining those lines could be constitutionally acceptable.
However, charge for the use is also acceptable.