New black Barbies get mixed reviews

Bay_Kat

Tropical
(CNN) -- Grace, Kara and Trichelle were created to fill a void for young black girls who for so long have been playing with dolls that don't look like them.

The new black Barbies released by Mattel have fuller lips, curlier hair and other features that the company says more accurately represent African-American women.

Some have cheered the new dolls. Others jeered them, saying they're not black enough.

New black Barbies get mixed reviews - CNN.com

I don't get this, what do people want?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gorgeous!!

But if black girls are playing with dolls that "don't look like them", that's by choice because there have been black Barbies and other dolls since *I* was a little kid. In fact, I had several of them.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Gorgeous!!

But if black girls are playing with dolls that "don't look like them", that's by choice because there have been black Barbies and other dolls since *I* was a little kid. In fact, I had several of them.

Me too, I just don't understand what they mean by "not black enough". Just doesn't make sense to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Me too, I just don't understand what they mean by "not black enough". Just doesn't make sense to me.

They're just #####ing to hear themselves and feel like they're all keepin' it real an' sheet. :yo: Why anyone listens to these professional whiners is beyond me.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Baby needs some back.

Attachments

• dollicia_bryan2-1.jpg
    dollicia_bryan2-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 74

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
(CNN) -- Grace, Kara and Trichelle were created to fill a void for young black girls who for so long have been playing with dolls that don't look like them.

The new black Barbies released by Mattel have fuller lips, curlier hair and other features that the company says more accurately represent African-American women.

Some have cheered the new dolls. Others jeered them, saying they're not black enough.

An African American woman could be white! They should have stated a Black American woman period because not all woman of color are from Africa. :coffee:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Who knows?! :lol: I think they're cute & totally "Barbie" worthy. I think they're a whole lot better than those Bratz dolls out years ago. Ugh. I didn't like those. My nieces had them.

Speaking of Barbie... there's a bumper sticker out there that cracks me up when I see it:

"I hate Barbie - that b*tch has everything"

:lmao:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Maybe the black girls of an age to play with Barbie really are color blind. It's only when they get older (or join the liberal 'perpetually offended' group) that the dolls are no longer acceptable.

Other explanation is that many little girls of an age to play with Barbie like to dream they're white and are perfectly happy with the original Barbie.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Baby needs some back.

man she is :hot::buttkiss:

Seriously though..they have had black dolls around forever..but I did see the comercial and I am glad barbie is trying to make some really nice ones..because I know when I was little I wanted to play with brunette barbies..because Im a brunette...and It was kinda hard tto find them back then..all they ever had was stacy and everyone knows she was not as hot as barbie and Ken used to date her then dumped her when barbie got that convertable...gold digger.

Anyway..little girls wanna play with a doll that is like them. Im sure the barbie company enlisted the help of some little black girls and hopefully they are happy with it. Just goes to show..people will be offended no matter what.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Is the neck jointed so she can rock side to side and snap her fingers in a Z formation?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

There's no 400 pounder in spandex that thinks she's a LOT sexier than the stick figured white girl named Barbie..

Barbie can't do things to her man like SHE can.. and Ken? Yeah, he's hittin that Spandex..

exnodak

yeah, like Barbie looks like a real white girl!!

:killingme

I remember the controversy back in the 70's when it was pointed out that Barbie's dimensions didn't resemble any scale model of a real life white woman. I also recall that Mattel's defense was that they scaled the doll as a "composite" of American women of all races and dimensions.

At an Autocad Clinic I once saw a life size version with the same scaled proportions of the 12" doll, and it looked like a grotesque giant Dolly Parton.

Makes you wonder.

D-35

Homeless Doll

Well there's always the new homeless *"American Girl" doll (white, of course) for those feeling conflicted. Priced way-North of your typical Raggity Ann, btw

(*sure was glad when my daughter outgrew that phase years ago) :coffee: