Coleman 3AAA XR-C LED Flashlight review

dustin

UAIOE
I picked up this Coleman LED flashlight at the Navy Exchange yesterday for $20 bucks.

This is the model I'm referring to:
Coleman 3AAA XR-C LED Flashlight : 2000001574 - Buy.com

Interestingly, Coleman does not have it listed on their website, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I've read elsewhere that Wal-Mart may carry this model. I got the black one at the NEX (not like I had a choice of color... there was only one left)

It seems lately (and in the past) there are many times that I need a flashlight and "got by without one". Wether that be walking to the car with my family in a dark parking lot, or just trying to find a bolt I dropped while working on some oddball home project (I usually have at least two at a time).

So far I'm pretty impressed with it. It's no Streamlight, but its pretty darn good for the price! Very bright and runs on 3-AAA batteries. Specs claim to have an 8hr run time on the batteries. I'll have to follow-up to see how it performs in that aspect.

I prefer the simple ON/OFF button on the back of small flashlights instead of the twist on style like the mini-maglights have. This way I don't have to fiddle with it to work like I want it to. It just turns on. This model also fits nicely in my jeans front pocket without making me look like I'm a perv.

I suppose one could get all ninja on a bady guy and use it like a Kubaton for self defense, but my method involves shining the light at bad-guy, then shining the light in the direction I'm running away (at least in MD or DC).

The beam on this flashlight has a nice sized bright spot at 15 yards and still projects a good wide light stream too. It has some high-tech LED bulb that is used on more expensive flashlights. I'm sure the beam will go further than 15 yards but that's how far away the house was... anyways... I'll have to try it out in different places to see how it performs.

As with most bargain priced items nowadays it is made in China. But you could have fooled me on that one. Nice engineering on this light! I try to buy American when I can, but this was too good of a deal to pass up. It does not seem cheaply made at all to me (except for the carry strap which I'll probably remove). Has a three year warranty too.

I'll have to see how reliable it is and how long the battery life is before I recommend it to anyone... but so far so good! :yay: :yay:

I picked up this Coleman LED flashlight at the Navy Exchange yesterday for $20 bucks.

This is the model I'm referring to:
Coleman 3AAA XR-C LED Flashlight : 2000001574 - Buy.com...So far I'm pretty impressed with it. It's no Streamlight, but its pretty darn good for the price! Very bright and runs on 3-AAA batteries. Specs claim to have an 8hr run time on the batteries. I'll have to follow-up to see how it performs in that aspect.

I prefer the simple ON/OFF button on the back of small flashlights instead of the twist on style like the mini-maglights have. This way I don't have to fiddle with it to work like I want it to. It just turns on. This model also fits nicely in my jeans front pocket without making me look like I'm a perv.

The beam on this flashlight has a nice sized bright spot at 15 yards and still projects a good wide light stream too. It has some high-tech LED bulb that is used on more expensive flashlights. I'm sure the beam will go further than 15 yards but that's how far away the house was... anyways... I'll have to try it out in different places to see how it performs.

As with most bargain priced items nowadays it is made in China. But you could have fooled me on that one. Nice engineering on this light! I try to buy American when I can, but this was too good of a deal to pass up. It does not seem cheaply made at all to me (except for the carry strap which I'll probably remove). Has a three year warranty too.

I'll have to see how reliable it is and how long the battery life is before I recommend it to anyone... but so far so good! :yay: :yay:
Great review. Thanks! Please give us an update once you've put it thru it's paces.

Boy's $1.00 Advanced Auto Parts el cheapo LED light that looks like this is malfunctioning. May have to replace it with one of these.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
now I know what to buy hubby for his xmas stocking.

And no I'm not cheap, I bought him (and I do mean with my own money) a 52" LCD tv for our anniversary.

dustin

UAIOE
So far the light is still holding strong.

I've dropped it on concrete three times and in the mud twice. Everything still working great and batteries still running strong.

I wish it had some kind of belt clip for it so I plan to make a metal clip for it out of some springy steel.

Also it rolls really easily so if I can make the belt clip fit well, that will keep it from rolling away.

So far a great buy!