choosing a vet

smurfette

hi, i am a new visitor to this forum. i was scanning the discussion on personal encounters with local veterinarians and thought i would chime in. i have worked with several southern maryland vets over the years and have learned a lot. when choosing doctor for your furry children there is much more to consider than how much individual services cost. a low cost clinic is low cost because they do not have the services available at a full service hospital. when you bring your pet in for surgery you need to know what you are getting for your money. ask about support staff training, what type of monitoring is done while pet is under anesthesia, what type of pre anesthetic lab work is done to help identify potential problems your pet may have while under anesthesia, what type of monitoring is you pet getting while recovering from anesthesia and surgery. Veterinary hospitals vary quite a bit as far as what is routine in this area.
Ask for an estimate. Any reputable veterinarian should be able to provide you a written estimate before services are rendered, except of course in an emergency situation. In an emergency an estimate can usually be given after the animal is stabilized. Just remember an estimate is an "estimate", not an "exact". In medicine not ALL aspects are forseeable. If there is a dispute about a bill just ask about individual charges. Most doctors and staff are very willing to explain them. No doctor i have ever worked with is intentionally trying to rip people off. Lab work and diagnostics are getting very advanced for pets these days. Most of us humans have insurance and never realize how expensive these things really are, because we only pay deductables.
Doctors are very busy. I used to think i would like to be a vet until i worked in an animal hospital.. Their hours are very long and demanding, especially for the large animal practices where farm calls can come at all hours regardless of how much sleep or personal time they have had that week. If you are getting conflicting information from different doctors in a particular practice just explain to the doctor how you are confused by the different information and he or she should be willing to explain it to you so that you are comfortable with the treatment plan and understand it.
I hope i have helped bring some insight to those having trouble finding the right doctor for their pets.