Can't be because of ebonics and bad grammer...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
This stuff makes me want to bang my head into the wall until I am unconscious.

Black firefighter Michael Briscoe is suing New Haven. - By Richard Thompson Ford - Slate Magazine

A black firefighter is now sueing New Haven. Cuz he did very well on the oral exam (highest score..good for him!)..but sucked at the written exam (worth more..and usually is on any test I have ever taken). Ok. So you're a ####ty writer. Get over it. Try better next time. Historically blacks do not perform as well as other groups on written exams. No one is able to explain why...but we all know why. The "black community" (which I do not feel is in any way representational of of all blacks btw) prides itself on speaking incorrectly and having terrible grammer. In fact I remember a few years ago some group or the other trying to have ebonics recognized as a language..argueing that blacks were at a disadvantage because they speak this way. Umm excuse me but I know pleeenty of perfectly good english speakers who are black. We speak that here in America. In fact some of the Africans I met in Frederick ( my bestest friend sam..I miss him) had some of the most impeccable english I have ever heard. I cannot stand the pride I see in people for sounding ignorant.
Tangent...sorry. Anyway..they want to argue that because whites are more likely to have a family legacy of firefighting (umm no? Why would I be more likely to have a firefighter in my family..simply because I am white?) they are better prepared for the written exam. This sounds like a load of crap. In fact I cannot imagine trying to sue because I did poorly on an exam..I would be mortified I did so poorly and study my head off for next time..hey any of them think about asking the guys who did well for a few pointers? Nope..lets just sue and see if I can have something handed to me with no effort.

AHHHHHHHHHH. I want to scream.

C

CalvertNewbie

I'm so tired of this crap. If you're stupid, you're stupid. Doesn't matter what color your skin is. If you can't speak AND write proper English then go flip some burgers or clean some toilets somewhere.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I'm so tired of this crap. If you're stupid, you're stupid. Doesn't matter what color your skin is. If you can't speak AND write proper English then go flip some burgers or clean some toilets somewhere.

Where were you in Spring of 2008 when the Donks were selecting their Presidential candidate? We now have to live with one of 'em as President that can only speak well, IF someone else writes the words.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
All jokes aside -- if he has to write up a fire/accident/EMAIS report, his spelling and GRAMMAR need to be somewhat legible. Oral skills are great, but if you can't write or spell, it can generally hold you down.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
All jokes aside -- if he has to write up a fire/accident/EMAIS report, his spelling and GRAMMAR need to be somewhat legible. Oral skills are great, but if you can't write or spell, it can generally hold you down.

That's why he wants to get promoted, so he can make someone else write it! :dye:

BOP

This stuff makes me want to bang my head into the wall until I am unconscious.

Black firefighter Michael Briscoe is suing New Haven. - By Richard Thompson Ford - Slate Magazine

A black firefighter is now sueing New Haven. Cuz he did very well on the oral exam (highest score..good for him!)..but sucked at the written exam (worth more..and usually is on any test I have ever taken). Ok. So you're a ####ty writer. Get over it. Try better next time. Historically blacks do not perform as well as other groups on written exams. No one is able to explain why...but we all know why. The "black community" (which I do not feel is in any way representational of of all blacks btw) prides itself on speaking incorrectly and having terrible grammer. In fact I remember a few years ago some group or the other trying to have ebonics recognized as a language..argueing that blacks were at a disadvantage because they speak this way. Umm excuse me but I know pleeenty of perfectly good english speakers who are black. We speak that here in America. In fact some of the Africans I met in Frederick ( my bestest friend sam..I miss him) had some of the most impeccable english I have ever heard. I cannot stand the pride I see in people for sounding ignorant.
Tangent...sorry. Anyway..they want to argue that because whites are more likely to have a family legacy of firefighting (umm no? Why would I be more likely to have a firefighter in my family..simply because I am white?) they are better prepared for the written exam. This sounds like a load of crap. In fact I cannot imagine trying to sue because I did poorly on an exam..I would be mortified I did so poorly and study my head off for next time..hey any of them think about asking the guys who did well for a few pointers? Nope..lets just sue and see if I can have something handed to me with no effort.

AHHHHHHHHHH. I want to scream.

Clearly you're racist and hate that a black man was elected President. You and this post have been reported to the Obama Administration's Czar of Racism, Reduction of Misinformation-spreading, and Investigation of Fishing-sounding Email and Blog Postings.

They'll be in touch with you directly.

:evil:

BOP

Wrong, wrong, wrong! It be da Man what be holdin' a bruva down! Dey's prejuduces! Dey hates a black man az prezedent!

xobxdoc

To the OP.This point you were trying to make would have been more compelling if you could spell a little better. Kind of ironic.

ImnoMensa

Oral exams were placed into being because it was a way of upgrading people who came into the promotional process with a less than stellar written score.

Many people who wrote poor scores go before the oral boards and are placed higher on the list than people who scored higher on the written.

Oral scores are not specific. They are given by how an individual scorer decides to give them. You pick the right people on the oral board, tell them the outcome you wish ,and sit back and watch them fill their quota.

To me it's evident that this fellow's written score was just too lousy to make up the difference.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
To the OP.This point you were trying to make would have been more compelling if you could spell a little better. Kind of ironic.

Ahh I see...You have never spelled a word incorrectly I suppose. I bow to your obvious superiority. I also appreciate you taking the time to spell check my post...on a discussion board...because clearly, I take the time to format and proofread what I post here...since it is an exact representation of my skills as a writer. I couldn't possibly type quickly to get a point across without regard for my spelling and grammar, because how would I look to my SOMD.com peers? They have certainly forgotten, I am sure, that I am actually a human being. To make such an egregious error on such an important body of work would surely remind them. Now that I have been corrected, I am replete with mortification. I shall return my college degree for clearly it was a sham. I do not deserve to call myself an educated or intelligent person. I couldn't possibly pass a written firefighting exam misspelling a single word, how dare I pass judgment on someone that has taken such a difficult exam several times and failed? I am sure that he simply misspelled a word such as grammar, and was the laughingstock of the entire squad. I feel his pain.

The written portion of the exam was multiple choice, so I'm not sure that spelling or grammar would have played a large role.

Anyway, this case may end up having an interesting judicial journey.