Auto Repair Rip-offs

MDindef

Have any of you had some of these garages try to rip you off with unneccesary repairs? I recently had one of the nationally known repair shops try it. I took it to a local guy, and he did me up right, for almost half of what the other shop wanted.

If anyone wants to know who, just drop a line...

BudoPo

No one's tried to rip me off, but I haven't been too pleased with a few shops in Lexington Park (Midas and Southern Tire, specifically).

zyrne

MIDAS

I'll never use them again. I took my car in to the shop on Great Mills Rd in Lexington Park, got a ridiculous estimate and I didn't believe them. So, just to prove a point, I took it to the Midas just south of Waldorf on Rt 5. Another ridiculous estimate, except totally different parts were needed.

I ended up taking it to the Mienieke (sp?) by the Wal=Mart, and they fixed me up for about $125 instead of the $500 the Midas folks wanted.

S

*sunkist girl*

I have used this person for years and so does most of my friends and family memebers. I know his wife Elizabeth and he is the BEST and has the BEST RATES ever. He works at Mr. Tire in prince Frederick, his name is Chris, you should try him next time

SmallTown

Football season!
Midas really blows.. My wife took her car in to get the brakes looked at.. When they called us to tell us what was wrong and what parts I would need, my mouth just dropped. I told them to forget about it and we would be down right away to pick the car up. We arrive and her car is still up on the lift with the tires off. They guy tells us he thought we would change our minds, and since the tires were already off we should let them go ahead and fix it.. Told them thanks, but no thanks and to get the car down immediately. He got pissed, told his boys to put it back together.
I went out and bought the parts myself and paid a friend of mine to install it and saved about $350.. I would never go there again.

Not sure about the Mr. Tire in Prince Frederick, but the Mr. Tire in Lexington Park is almost as bad as Midas with screwing you.. Thats a WHOLE different story which I don't want to go into now..

S

*sunkist girl*

I would never take my car to anyone in Lexington Park, Chris at Mr. tire in Prince Frederick is the best. Ask for chris firestien, I always tell him I talked to his wife elizabeth and he does a wonderful job so far for me and everyone I reccomended to him. AND THAT'S ALOT OF PEOPLE. Like I said I'Ve known his wife for Years and she is a great person also. You should really give them a try

Y

yornoc

Stay away from ABR (Auto Body Rebuilders):barf: about 100 yards north of Solomon's Firehouse. I heard they are very good at high end paint jobs but don't go there if you have any other problems... ESPECIALLY if you are in an accident. I hit a deer and $4800 later, the car is still not right. I had to spend an extra $800 at a different shop to take care of things that should have been fixed by ABR. They use every excuse in the book. They could not even get my wipers to work after the accident ( they told me it is an electrical problem that I have to take to the dealer). Luckily I did not take their advice and it took me lest than 5 mins to locate the problem... They fail to reconnect ALL the electrical components after they replace the radiator.:burning:

They are expensive and they did the WORST job I've ever had done at ANY shop.:boo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yornoc

Not sure about the Mr. Tire in Prince Frederick, but the Mr. Tire in Lexington Park is almost as bad as Midas with screwing you.. Thats a WHOLE different story which I don't want to go into now..

Mr. Tire is the worst set of ignorant idiots I've came across. ABR (Auto Body Rebuilders) is right behind them.

MDindef

Re: MIDAS

MIDAS
I'll never use them again. I took my car in to the shop on Great Mills Rd in Lexington Park, got a ridiculous estimate and I didn't believe them. So, just to prove a point, I took it to the Midas just south of Waldorf on Rt 5. Another ridiculous estimate, except totally different parts were needed.

I ended up taking it to the Mienieke (sp?) by the Wal=Mart, and they fixed me up for about $125 instead of the $500 the Midas folks wanted.

Interesting...Your example is close to mine...those folks at Midas really try to stick it to you!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I know what you mean about MIDAS. They wanted to charge me close to $800 for a complete exhaust system. I ended up buying all the parts for $375 and doing the job in an hour and a half with just standard hand tools (no air driven stuff or torches).

MIDAS, everything they touch costs you gold.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I actually worked for Midas and you people have no idea. I could tell you stories that would curl your hair. Needless to say, I would NEVER take my vehicle to Midas for anything.

My recommendation goes to R & R Automotive in San Souci. That's who I always used when I lived down there and never had a bad experience with them.

MDindef

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I actually worked for Midas and you people have no idea. I could tell you stories that would curl your hair. Needless to say, I would NEVER take my vehicle to Midas for anything.
Interesting...I would love to hear some stories sometime. I have a couple of my own, but from the other side of the counter.

alex

I like the Amoco in Leonardtown. They are pretty reasonable and never try to rip you off. They stand behind their work as well.

red_dog

Help! Tires needed - any recommendations?

We're new to the area and my wife needs to have a flat tire patched. Where's a reasonably-priced, reliable, honest place for tire repairs (or new tires when needed) in the Leonardtown/Lex. Park area?

MDindef

I've had a good "tires" experience with Mr Tire on great mills road in lex park. I don't know about their other services though.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Help! Tires needed - any recommendations?

Originally posted by red_dog
We're new to the area and my wife needs to have a flat tire patched. Where's a reasonably-priced, reliable, honest place for tire repairs (or new tires when needed) in the Leonardtown/Lex. Park area?

I know the reply is a bit late, but just having had a flat tire two days ago... :bawl:

I took my car to Cheseldine's, which is on 235 in front of Wal*Mart in California. Very courteous and cost was only $15.95. They also checked my brakes when I asked and didn't charge anything for it. They told me my brakes were fine and I didn't need any work done on them. :yay:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I recommend Curtis Tire on Great Mills road. Besides tires, they have great mechanics, will do what is necessary and have reasonable prices. Recently got a tune-up/timing belt done there and was quite pleased with their service.

BudoPo

I went to Cheseldine once a number of years ago. They were pretty nice, though the work I needed was kind of basic. For anything I can't handle myself, I drive up to a shop in Gaithersburg (or my own guy when I'm in NYC).

I had some tires mounted at Curtis, and they were nice enough but I didn't get a warm and fuzzy about their mechanical skill (just a feeling I got). I got a kick watching the guy look for the ignition. It was kind of funny when I had to go over and point to it (never happened before, but I didn't hold it against him).

K

Kain99

Help is on the way!

Charlie Stall The Tire Center in Leonardtown is an honest and reliable tire dealer.

Billy Cusic on Manor Rd. in Clements would die before he cheated a customer take your auto problems to sweet old Billy, He'll do ya right!

red_dog

Thanks to all for the tire advice

The tire was fixed at Curtis and we're back on the road. It cost $6.00 for the patch and remounting - not a bad deal and the service was friendly.

Thanks again

red_dog