I Guess I Just Need To Voice My Stress Level

DEEKAYPEE8569

Anybody else "playing catch-up" or attempting to?
I can't seem to get ahead anymore. I sat down; not two days ago; and added up my October bills. :yikes:.....and winter's coming too??? I say that cuz propane ain't cheap; and that is my primary heat for the house; well.....that and hot water.

I hear, 'well, don't you have a budget?' Yeah....pay the bill(s) when it/they come in.....(IF I have the money). It's that last part that's the problem.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Anybody else "playing catch-up" or attempting to?
I can't seem to get ahead anymore. I sat down; not two days ago; and added up my October bills. :yikes:.....and winter's coming too??? I say that cuz propane ain't cheap; and that is my primary heat for the house; well.....that and hot water.

I hear, 'well, don't you have a budget?' Yeah....pay the bill(s) when it/they come in.....(IF I have the money). It's that last part that's the problem.

yeah its a tough time of year...esp with christmas coming up....I only feel "safe" when I have a certain amount of money in my account..a little safety net. Well I have to start paying my student loans this month..and regular bills..and my surgery costs..it puts a burden on my income..i can handle it..but my safety net is taking a hit..so I understand the stress..and when christmas comes..I'll probably be broke as a joke for a month or two..just try to keep aware of every cent that goes out during this time..I have online bill pay..best thing ever. I can see exactly what is going out...when...and at the same time see what is left. makes it easy to "budget" without an actual budget.

A budget is not making do with less. A budget is making do with what you have. It is a powerful feeling to take back control of your finances and to tell your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.

Many books and articles have been written. Many speak eloquently. But the bottom line of personal finance is: Income minus Outgo = Reality

I have a thread on here "Write It Down" that has been a monthly walk down a path that works. Feel free to read and PM me with any questions. Reality is we all already know the answers to our problems. To much month at the end of our money.

If you don't want to read the thread I'll give you a quick "to do" list:

Write down everything you spend.# Date, Item, Cost.# Do this for 30 days.

Read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com or the library or borrow one).

Use your 30 day spending list to start budgeting.# Try budgeting for at least 3 months.# If you don’t like being in control financially you can always quit.#

Good luck and today is the perfect time to start.

DEEKAYPEE8569

A budget is not making do with less. A budget is making do with what you have. It is a powerful feeling to take back control of your finances and to tell your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.

Many books and articles have been written. Many speak eloquently. But the bottom line of personal finance is: Income minus Outgo = Reality

I have a thread on here "Write It Down" that has been a monthly walk down a path that works. Feel free to read and PM me with any questions. Reality is we all already know the answers to our problems. To much month at the end of our money.

If you don't want to read the thread I'll give you a quick "to do" list:

Write down everything you spend.# Date, Item, Cost.# Do this for 30 days.

Read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com or the library or borrow one).

Use your 30 day spending list to start budgeting.# Try budgeting for at least 3 months.# If you don’t like being in control financially you can always quit.#

Good luck and today is the perfect time to start.

Thank you Prof. My problem right now though, is, I have a GREAT BIG (-) in my balance column (savings AND checking). I was breaking even and keeping up with everything for a while, but somewhere, recently, I guess my expenses have outweighed my income (apparently right?), and I honestly do not know where and cannot find where or when that happened. As a result, things like my cable/internet access are being shut off. I'm just looking over my shoulder right now, wondering what's not gonna work the next time I want or need to use it.

Just a bit more whining.....today I called my gas company; with which I already have an outlandish, outstanding balance and begged them for a refill. As of this morning, I had no heat and no hot water. They agreed to make a delivery today, so at least I won't have to take ANOTHER ice cold shower.:jet:

WHEN are things gonna start getting better??? I sure as H*ll hope it's SOON.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

yeah its a tough time of year...esp with christmas coming up....I only feel "safe" when I have a certain amount of money in my account..a little safety net. Well I have to start paying my student loans this month..and regular bills..and my surgery costs..it puts a burden on my income..i can handle it..but my safety net is taking a hit..so I understand the stress..and when christmas comes..I'll probably be broke as a joke for a month or two..just try to keep aware of every cent that goes out during this time..I have online bill pay..best thing ever. I can see exactly what is going out...when...and at the same time see what is left. makes it easy to "budget" without an actual budget.

With Christmas coming up, my older relatives say, 'don't get me anything.' 'get stuff for the kids.' My Brother and his wife have 4.
( 2 girls/hers, one boy/his and one boy/theirs.....ages 2, 8, 9 and 10 (I think) ) (Yes, I know....."Irrelevant".....sorry)

When I have the finances, I pay the bills as soon as I get them; which is usually one after the other. Perhaps this is a poor payment priority plan, but I would pay my mortgage FIRST, then my utilities (water, gas and electricity; not necessarily in that order), THEN I'd pay things like 50% car insurance premium when it comes due; if I can't pay the whole thing at once; THEN I would try to pay things like medical bills, oh, and groceries; for just me, for one month just over $100; and mostly essentials. 0<;)

I quit smoking; I guess just over a month ago now, and figured that money would help me everywhere else, but it seems to have been absorbed somewhere.

With Christmas coming up, my older relatives say, 'don't get me anything.' 'get stuff for the kids.' My Brother and his wife have 4.
( 2 girls/hers, one boy/his and one boy/theirs.....ages 2, 8, 9 and 10 (I think) ) (Yes, I know....."Irrelevant".....sorry)

When I have the finances, I pay the bills as soon as I get them; which is usually one after the other. Perhaps this is a poor payment priority plan, but I would pay my mortgage FIRST, then my utilities (water, gas and electricity; not necessarily in that order), THEN I'd pay things like 50% car insurance premium when it comes due; if I can't pay the whole thing at once; THEN I would try to pay things like medical bills, oh, and groceries; for just me, for one month just over $100; and mostly essentials. 0<;)

I quit smoking; I guess just over a month ago now, and figured that money would help me everywhere else, but it seems to have been absorbed somewhere.

Please read book I mentioned. It takes about 3 days tops to read it. Not complicated, not fancy. Because personal finance is not either of those.

You are already thinking correctly by the way. Housing, utilities, food and transportation. You have to have those, the rest . . . well prioritize them. Do not short yourself on car or health insurance. Either of those could destroy you financially should something happen.

Really, read the book and fast. You are not the first to have this happen nor the last.

And as for Christmas. It's a card this year or time spent with family. That money has a different place to go this year. It is you and your's survival.

Cowgirl

Please read book I mentioned. It takes about 3 days tops to read it. Not complicated, not fancy. Because personal finance is not either of those.

I went to the library on Friday after work and got the audio book because they didn't have the regular book. I listened to the whole thing on Saturday. He's very motivating, and we're going to start following his plan. Thanks for the suggestion!!