Mattawoman Creek Meeting

rickl5296

My son and I went to this meeting on Tuesday night hosted by the Mattawoman Creek Watershed Society and the Smart Growth Alliance for Charles County. I have to say I am impressed and they certainly advocate some things we can live with. It was pointed out that the major reason for the extension of the cross county connector was to service development and revitalize the economies of the Bryans Road and Indian Head. They say that this si not SMART growth. Rather the more sensible thing to do would be to reduce the size of the Development District which is 1/3 larger than Washington DC, revitalize Waldorf as the Urban Core of the county, and bring in mass transit if the form of commuter rail. If the connector is built, Mattawoman Creek, which is on the list of endangered rivers, would be impared beyond repair. I think this is an idea we can live with. What do you think? Here is the link to their website for more information. It also has instructions on how to send a letter to the govenor to deny wetlands permits from the Department of Environment.

mattawomanwatershedsociety