Firewood

So I call this guy here in the county and ask if he can sell me a half cord of firewood. About a month later I call him again and ask if he can sell me a half cord of firewood. I tell him its going to be burned in a wood stove, not a fireplace. He says sure no problem. I have decent hardwood and I can sell you a half cord for $80 bucks. Ok. He comes out in his dumptruck and dumps the wood on the ground. I pay him and away he goes. So I start looking at what I just bought and man did this guy get the goods on me. The wood was all rotten, not hardwood by any measure, covered in mold, mud and other things that are not consistent with decent firewood and it was all in almost three foot lengths. Has anyone ever tried to cut down already cut firewood? I will not use any names as I don't want this so called wood vendor taking me to court for slander. I have been purchasing wood for about thirty years now so all you folks hold your snide smart ass remarks, Ok?

Called the MD DNR and told them my story.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
So I call this guy here in the county and ask if he can sell me a half cord of firewood. About a month later I call him again and ask if he can sell me a half cord of firewood. I tell him its going to be burned in a wood stove, not a fireplace. He says sure no problem. I have decent hardwood and I can sell you a half cord for $80 bucks. Ok. He comes out in his dumptruck and dumps the wood on the ground. I pay him and away he goes. So I start looking at what I just bought and man did this guy get the goods on me. The wood was all rotten, not hardwood by any measure, covered in mold, mud and other things that are not consistent with decent firewood and it was all in almost three foot lengths. Has anyone ever tried to cut down already cut firewood? I will not use any names as I don't want this so called wood vendor taking me to court for slander. I have been purchasing wood for about thirty years now so all you folks hold your snide smart ass remarks, Ok?

What's DNR gonna do? :shrug:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
What's DNR gonna do? :shrug:

Some laws about transporting wood with fungus/ mold from one area to another, cross contamination or something like that, remember reading about it but I must not have paid too much attention.LOL

The MD DNR has a department that regulates the sale to firewood to the general public. They handle complaints from Maryland residents who feel the got ripped off.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
The MD DNR has a department that regulates the sale to firewood to the general public. They handle complaints from Maryland residents who feel the got ripped off.

Did you try calling the guy back that sold it to you :shrug:

RE: Bad wood

About 5-6 years ago I had same problem, but I was lucky enough to be home. I live in Waldorf and had ordered 3 cords of wood from a place in St. Mary's. He backed up to my driveway and was beginning to unload when I took a quick look at what he was trying to deliver. He had stacked the good looking wood at the rear, but behind that was nothing but crap. It was supposed to be all hardwood, but there was a lot of pine and poplar mixed in with the wood. I had same problem as earlier post. The wood was in horrible condition. All rotted and covered with fungus . I would guess it had been on the ground for years. I told him to stop as I did not want this garbage. He said that ordering the wood constituted a contract and that I had to accept the wood and pay for it. Asked him if that was game he wanted to play and I would contact DNR . Changed his tune real quick. This was before the Ash Borer problem and I had no problem with ordering wood from other counties.
He called me a few choice words and then left. Just for the heck of it I called DNR the next day and asked if they had a record of this gentlemen, surprise, Multiple complaints primarily from Charles county . I guess he figured everyone
up here was ignorant of wood types and condition. Wood is something you have to chose with great care. I have been quoted prices from 85.00 a cord to 400.00. Most dealers are honest as they want to build up repeat business, but the old addage, "buyer beware" are words to live by. Automatically be cautious of words like "face cord, truckload etc". The is only one way to buy wood and that is by the "cord" It can be 1/2 or even 1/4, but it must use cord. Think of it as gasoline. You buy it by the gallon .

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

Does this guy live off of St. John's Road?

Per the Maryland Department Of Natural Resources, this guy HAS NO LICENSE TO DEAL IN WOOD PRODUCTS PERIOD. I will go to court for the state.

His initials are R.N. and he works out of Lexington Park. Thats all I care to say about the matter.

As stated in my original post, I will not use any names that would provide a positive means of identification of the vendor of questionable business practices.