Question for the cat owners

punjabigyrl

I am thinking about having a cat.My son has been after us to get one and I don't know anything about them have looked up some on the internet. However, I would like an outdoor cat. I don't mind a cat going outside playing hunting etc and coming back in either. I would like to know the overall cost for caring for the year, that is, vet visits, meds, food, etc.
Is there such a thing as an invisible fence for cats like they have for dogs? Would you recommend an indoor cat or an outdoor cat for someone who know little. TIA

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I am thinking about having a cat.My son has been after us to get one and I don't know anything about them have looked up some on the internet. However, I would like an outdoor cat. I don't mind a cat going outside playing hunting etc and coming back in either. I would like to know the overall cost for caring for the year, that is, vet visits, meds, food, etc.
Is there such a thing as an invisible fence for cats like they have for dogs? Would you recommend an indoor cat or an outdoor cat for someone who know little. TIA
I personally would stick with an indoor only cat. If they go outdoors, they pick up fleas, ticks and who knows what else.

As far as food goes, I feed my 2 for around $50.00-60.00 a year. Vet bills are minimal because they rarely get sick inside.

J

jp2854

I agree with Baja. Mine are strictly indoors and i only have to vet them once a year unless one of them gets sick or hurt on something in the house.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Outdoor cats can get run over by cars, attacked by other cats or dogs and possibly become a foxes dinner. Other cats can carry diseases that can infect your cat if he is not vaccinated.
I would never let a cat go outdoors again. One of my favorites got hit and killed by a car many years ago and I will always blame myself for it. We have 4 indoor cats and one store kitty; all rescues. All spayed and neutered. They are all in good health and we feed them good quality food.
You may want to contact local rescue groups and find a cat that is already vetted ("fixed" and up to date on all shots, microchipped) Most cats from rescues are being fostered in someone's home so the volunteers know the temperment of the cat and may be able to match you with a good cat for your household. You do not say the age of your son but you might want to find a cat that has been around children. It is important that you teach your son how to respect the cat. Cats do have claws and teeth and may attack when provoked or abused. Most cats will let you know when they have had enough play and it is important to read their signals and body language.
The scar on my cheek is a reminder of the time I learned to respect our family cat when I was about 5. Our family kitty did not appreciate being swung by his tail!
Do you have any close friends or family members that have cats that you can spend time with?

Heresathought1

I just adopted a kitty from ARF and she's the joy of our life. She was so happy to have a home and some attention. Her food is very inexpensive, and barring an illness, she should only be going to the vet once a year for shots, etc. While doing my research before I got her, I calculated about 500 dollars a year. She is an indoor only cat because that is the best way to ensure her health and safety. Because she was not a kitten, she is very laid back and well behaved. Maybe I got lucky, but she's a great cat, doesn't claw furniture, doesn't get on cabinets, gets along great with dogs.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Outdoor cats can get run over by cars, attacked by other cats or dogs and possibly become a foxes dinner. Other cats can carry diseases that can infect your cat if he is not vaccinated.
I would never let a cat go outdoors again. One of my favorites got hit and killed by a car many years ago and I will always blame myself for it. We have 4 indoor cats and one store kitty; all rescues. All spayed and neutered. They are all in good health and we feed them good quality food.
You may want to contact local rescue groups and find a cat that is already vetted ("fixed" and up to date on all shots, microchipped) Most cats from rescues are being fostered in someone's home so the volunteers know the temperment of the cat and may be able to match you with a good cat for your household. You do not say the age of your son but you might want to find a cat that has been around children. It is important that you teach your son how to respect the cat. Cats do have claws and teeth and may attack when provoked or abused. Most cats will let you know when they have had enough play and it is important to read their signals and body language.
The scar on my cheek is a reminder of the time I learned to respect our family cat when I was about 5. Our family kitty did not appreciate being swung by his tail!
Do you have any close friends or family members that have cats that you can spend time with?

:yeahthat:
Except for the scar and swinging the cat by the tail.... :killingme:killingme

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
We let ours out on the weekends, they kill the moles in the yard.
Is it possible for you to check and make sure that anybody in the house is allergic to cats?
We have 5 cats. And I'm allergic to all of them, but the wife don't care.

punjabigyrl

He's 8 and then I have 13 year old. Another question which breed? I see the best 3 asmain coons, Russian blues and seimese. Russian blues tends to be friendly with kids. I'm sure there are other breeds. And less shedding(thats my biggest problem)

frequentflier

happy to be living
He's 8 and then I have 13 year old. Another question which breed? I see the best 3 asmain coons, Russian blues and seimese. Russian blues tends to be friendly with kids. I'm sure there are other breeds. And less shedding(thats my biggest problem)

None of mine are breeds; just "cat mutts" I guess!

frequentflier

happy to be living

Good quality food and regular brushing will keep shedding to a minimum.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Good on you Punja, for taking the time to do the research before getting a pet.

I don't know if there is such a thing as one breed of cat being better than another.
Cats (to me) are different than say breeds by dog. Ie: Brittnany spaniel for birds or Beagle for rabbits or Teacup Chi for show and tell.

My favorite cat is one that I had no intention of keeping. She was a momma with two kittens that were on "death row" at the shelter so I gave her a chance. She is a domestic shorthair, nothing special.

I urge you to look at some of the rescues in the area. You could get one there that has been vetted and save time and money with intial vet appts.

Good Luck! :buddies:

belvak

Happy Camper
Okay, here's my two cents. Indoor definitely! I've had both, and an outdoor kitty's life will be shortened (either by illness or being killed). If you have a strictly indoor kitty and feed good quality food, they should last a long time. Our two are going on 12 years old. One we adopted when she was about 12 weeks old. The other, we added when our "outdoor" kitty had to be put down. She is "approximately" the same age. Another rescue, so we don't know her exact age.

Since they are indoor only and not around other animals, we can "skip" a few vaccinations. They really only need the rabies vaccine. Our vet has approved of this schedule. It's really important to make sure your vet knows how/where the kitty will be living! As for food, not too big a problem, except our girls are both "full figured!" One has some maine coon mixed in and is around 17 pounds. The other is just a tabby and about 21 pounds. Though big, they are both "holding steady," and the vet is satisfied with their weight.

As far as your children are concerned, most cats are pretty laid back. The best thing to do is take them along to visit with the prospective kitty to make sure they get along. Also, make sure wherever you get the kitty from will allow you to return/swap for another if personalities don't work out. Good luck, and happy "Catting!!"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I were to jump on here first, I would never ever have gotten my first cat. Some forumites make it seem like such a PITA to have a pet and they take all the joy out of it.

How old is your son?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Don't get a female Tortie, they are beotches.
Damn Jazz (kitty Jazz).

But she is a great killer.

Attachments

• tortie.jpg
    tortie.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 73