flatscreen TV price wars

Black Friday: Big deals on flatscreen LCD, plasma TVs - Nov. 13, 2009

I agree with with what most of this article puts out, except this:

But if you're determined to bag a bargain on a bigger screen, here's a useful tip: opt for a 720p model. "Your best chance on a great bargain is on a plasma 720p 50-inch TV for maybe a $1,000," said Swann.

He said retailers are aggressively discounting that sub-category of HDTVs in favor of stocking more of the 1080p resolution models. "The 720p is more affordable, and really, most people can't even tell the difference in picture quality between the 720p and the 1080p," he said.

The larger the screen, the more noticeable the resolution, or lack of, becomes. You can easily see the pixelation and smearing. I shopped for a long time before finding a set I really liked. There is no way I'd buy a 720p in a large format screen. Maybe a 24", but not a 50".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Black Friday: Big deals on flatscreen LCD, plasma TVs - Nov. 13, 2009

I agree with with what most of this article puts out, except this:

The larger the screen, the more noticeable the resolution, or lack of, becomes. You can easily see the pixelation and smearing. I shopped for a long time before finding a set I really liked. There is no way I'd buy a 720p in a large format screen. Maybe a 24", but not a 50".

Yup.

There's a reason they have all these 720's to get rid of in the first place.

E

EmptyTimCup

blackfriday.info

terbear1225

if any of you decide to upgrade, i'd be more than happy to take your old TV off your hands. I"ll even haul it for free.

:howdy:

terbear1225

You mean older CRT types, or new LCD types? I have a 19" CRT in very good condition you can have.

thanks for the offer!

we have a 19" CRT and would like to upgrade but we're saving for a downpayment on something much bigger than a tv.

:yahoo:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You mean older CRT types, or new LCD types? I have a 19" CRT in very good condition you can have.
My new (I mean hubby's new) Sony LCD is being delivered on Wednesday. Original price $2900. You wouldn't believe the steal we got it for. :faint:

belvak

Happy Camper
My new (I mean hubby's new) Sony LCD is being delivered on Wednesday. Original price $2900. You wouldn't believe the steal we got it for. :faint:

You stole a TV??? :shocked: I know you've been working out a lot lately, but it seems that must have been awfully big and heavy for you to carry out all on your own! I sure hope you had partners in crime!!! :huggy:

I have a 27" old style Toshiba, that must weigh 300 lbs. that thing will give ya a workout moving it!

I guess I will wait till it blows up before I replace it.

since I only turn it on @ once a week it may be a while... its 12 yrs old maybe more lol , Toshiba makes a good tv.

the only problem with it is the remote died and not even a universal one will work with it.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
As far as the 720 & 1080 in say a 46-50" LCD, if your not planning on using the HD portions, just whatever a normal DVD gives you and cable type of deal... Does the resolution still make a difference? Or is it just in the HD channels/movies/broadcasts....

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
As far as the 720 & 1080 in say a 46-50" LCD, if your not planning on using the HD portions, just whatever a normal DVD gives you and cable type of deal... Does the resolution still make a difference? Or is it just in the HD channels/movies/broadcasts....

Let me also add to this, I know that a 1080 has better picture quality when your watching in HD than 720 does.

But as said before, I'm not to worried about the HD stuff because Im cheap, and not paying the extra for it :lol:

So, do I want to pay more attention to the Hertz, or what..??

glhs837

Power with Control
No, not if your only going to watch basic digital cable or DVDs, the 1080 vs 720 wont really matter to you.

Daisy, I'll bet a Harmony remote will work that ol Toshiba. Ive yet to find anything these things wont control.

SamSpade

So what's the diff? If I buy a 720, but have no intention of getting HD, how big a TV might I get before any difference is visible?

I've never owned a TV larger than 27" in my life, and the TVs in my house range from ancient and on life support to maybe four or five years old. I don't feel deprived, and I've never felt the need to have to have a better picture.

On the other hand, it might be nice to have a wide screen TV so that letter boxed movies won't seem like I'm getting less of a movie.

thurley42

HY;FR
So what's the diff? If I buy a 720, but have no intention of getting HD, how big a TV might I get before any difference is visible?

I've never owned a TV larger than 27" in my life, and the TVs in my house range from ancient and on life support to maybe four or five years old. I don't feel deprived, and I've never felt the need to have to have a better picture.

On the other hand, it might be nice to have a wide screen TV so that letter boxed movies won't seem like I'm getting less of a movie.

why would you not have HD? It's throwing money down the toilet to buy an HDTV if you are just going to run it on a normal signal..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

A standard resolution input wil only give you a standard resolution picture. :shrug:
I have a 42" plasma 720p and using a standard DVD looks like crap.
You'll need an up-converting DVD player, but you can pick them up for around $40.