2 into 3

I've been wondering about that left turn going into gate one in the morning.
I have never seen anyone fron the right left turn lane go into the center lane.
It seems like everyone thinks the leftmost left turn lane gets their choice of the two left lanes. Why is this?

AeroTaken

It seems like everyone thinks the leftmost left turn lane gets their choice of the two left lanes. Why is this?

Because if you are in the right-most turn lane you don't know if the people in the left-most turn lane are going into the center entrance or the left entrance until they are 3/4 of the way through the turn. I have seen plenty of cars merge over into that center entrance lane once they are through the intersection when no cars are coming into that center entrance from the left-most turn lane. Wow, that sounds confusing!

Because if you are in the right-most turn lane you don't know if the people in the left-most turn lane are going into the center entrance or the left entrance until they are 3/4 of the way through the turn. I have seen plenty of cars merge over into that center entrance lane once they are through the intersection when no cars are coming into that center entrance from the left-most turn lane. Wow, that sounds confusing!

No, I get it, and it sounds resonable. It keeps me from trying it. :lol:

AeroTaken

No, I get it, and it sounds resonable. It keeps me from trying it. :lol:

Actually I'm surprised that you don't see people doing that...you know with the way people "around here" drive!! Recently, at a different intersection with 2 left turn lanes, I was in the left-most and another car in the right-most. The light turns green and the guy in the right-most lane made a f'n u-turn from THAT lane. I wasn't making a u-turn, just good that I realized what he was doing and was able to stop or it technically could have been listed as my fault since I would have been the one to hit the side of his car!

Actually I'm surprised that you don't see people doing that...you know with the way people "around here" drive!! Recently, at a different intersection with 2 left turn lanes, I was in the left-most and another car in the right-most. The light turns green and the guy in the right-most lane made a f'n u-turn from THAT lane. I wasn't making a u-turn, just good that I realized what he was doing and was able to stop or it technically could have been listed as my fault since I would have been the one to hit the side of his car!

Happens all the time at Chancelors and 235.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Because people don't realize that they're supposed to complete the left turn in the lane that corresponds to the lane where they started the turn. You're not supposed to change lanes when going through an intersection, even if you're going straight through.

So it seems to me, after reading so many threads on this forum about driving skill or lack of, that we need to do a better job of teaching driver's ed. Yeah, we've delayed kids getting their license, but is that really going to help. I doubt it. Ten days of classroom instruction at 2 - 3 hours per night just isn't enough, in my opinion. Then you only get about 3 or 4 hours of driving time with an instructor. This is just not enough either. I think we need to add a driving class to our school curriculum - a full semester - and include driving simulators. If we can do flight simulation, why not cars? I think it would be money well spent! No - let's not add to school classroom time - too much taxpayer money. Let's create a new business model - have the kids pay for it - create new jobs - manufacturing and sales force for the simulators, classroom teachers, driving instructors - yeah - that's the ticket!

'cause you do!

GopherM

Darwin was right

That is odd because I have seen people make left turns into the right-hand most turn lane FROM the center south bound travel lane.

Because people don't realize that they're supposed to complete the left turn in the lane that corresponds to the lane where they started the turn. You're not supposed to change lanes when going through an intersection, even if you're going straight through.

Then no one would end up in the center lane. Do you know the intersection I'm talking about?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Then no one would end up in the center lane. Do you know the intersection I'm talking about?

Yes, I pass through there every day.

Cars in the left most lane (1) should end up in the left most lane (1) after the turn. Cars in the next lane (2) should end up in the center (2) lane. That leaves the right most lane (3) heading into gate one available for those on north bound Rt 235 who are turning right into the gate one road.

Yes, I pass through there every day.

Cars in the left most lane (1) should end up in the left most lane (1) after the turn. Cars in the next lane (2) should end up in the center (2) lane. That leaves the right most lane (3) heading into gate one available for those on north bound Rt 235 who are turning right into the gate one road.

Interesting. I wonder if that was the intent of opening an extra lane in the morning.

BernieP

Resident PIA

:yeahthat:

The better question is how the traffic pattern has changed on the outbound side.
Use to be that the two lanes could both turn right at the light - the cones foreced the right hand lane to stay right until the left hand lane had the opportunity to move right. First it started with people squeezing by on the left to block off the left lane, then security simply stopped marking the exit path. Now it's a free for all, more and more of the cars in the right lane are moving left.

:yeahthat:

The better question is how the traffic pattern has changed on the outbound side.
Use to be that the two lanes could both turn right at the light - the cones foreced the right hand lane to stay right until the left hand lane had the opportunity to move right. First it started with people squeezing by on the left to block off the left lane, then security simply stopped marking the exit path. Now it's a free for all, more and more of the cars in the right lane are moving left.

I'm glad they started taking those cones off the road in the afternoon, that's the way it works best.