Sensibility Saturday follows Black Friday

Sensibility Saturday is when you return all those things you bought on Black Friday that you did not pay for in full with cash.

Do not ruin a wonderful holiday period by taking on debt to pay for presents for people that will not remember years from now you even bought them a gift.

Refuse to use credit this holiday season. Using credit is your agreement to pay more than is being asked by the seller. On what level does this make sense?

If you are going to pay for it with tomorrow's money then wait until tomorrow to buy it.

Paid For Christmas is right around the corner. Many are joining the "Paid For Christmas" march. Be part of this crowd. To buy a gift on credit is to give debt as a gift. If you are using debt to buy, and another is uisng debt to buy for you, how about the two of you just say Merry Christmas and mean it and go on your Merry way?

Seven out of ten live paycheck to paycheck, carry $10K worth of non-house household debt on average and average 9 open accounts/loans not including the house. I do not expect many to read and heed this but if just one more came over to the debt-free, on a budget, cash or debit never credit side it is a start.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PMW, I think you are too strict in your financial advice. There are people like me who pay for EVERYTHING with a credit card, from gas to groceries to utility bills. If they'd let me, I'd pay my mortgage with a credit card.

BUT I pay it off every month. In the almost three years I've had this card, I've never paid a finance charge.

The key is to only buy things you can afford, put money into savings every month for emergencies and, if you want a big ticket item that you don't have the money on hand for, save up for it.

Debt sucks, paying finance charges sucks. Credit cards are not evil; being irresponsible with them is evil.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of course, I say that yet there is no real penalty for going into extreme debt and buying everything in the world that you can't afford.

So screw it! Live it up! :lol:

stew77

I tell my kids that I am spending their inheritance! They get mad at me! Such is life, they must earn it like I did!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The World We Live In. :jameo:

PMW is totally right and sound; credit cards, like withholding taxes, tend to obscure the cost of things and, to that end, we, the people, spend more than we can afford.

Yet, Vrail is totally right; responsible folks who actually look at a credit card for it's intended purpose, to relieve you of needing to carry around gobs of cash or use checks for everything and simply pay off your cards, as per the agreement when you got the cards, is a proper, reasonable and good way to control your finances. Add to that all the incentives offered.

Then, what does 'afford' mean? Vrail is, again right, that no one needs to pay off their debt anyway; just declare bankruptcy. Or wait for some sort of bailout. :jameo:

Strange times. :buddies:

E

EmptyTimCup

PMW is totally right and sound; credit cards, like withholding taxes, tend to obscure the cost of things and, to that end, we, the people, spend more than we can afford.

:buddies:

yeah @ 22% Interest how much is that $ 1500 52" Plasma Screen TV really costing you if it takes a yr to pay off ....