A Great Idea

I stopped at a little roadside deli in VA yesterday. Nice place, all natural and organic menu. While I was waiting for my food, I looked at the little coffee table they had. The stirrers caught my eye.... They were just pieces of uncooked linguine cut to length.

How cool is that. Totally and completely natural and biodegradable. And if you really wanted, you could collect them and make lunch out of them......

We go thru a lot of coffee stir sticks at the office. I'm going to replace them and see how people react.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Couldn't that get a little pricey? What about just using a spoon you wash? I think it's a neat idea, and certainly better than all those darn little plastic things everywhere...I would just worry about the money..

At $1.50 for a 1lb box? 1 strand makes 2-3 sticks, that's a bunch of sticks..... Even if it's a few cents more than the plastic ones, I'd gladly pay for the pasta to keep the plastic from going to the landfill.

Reuse the same spoon? Sure. Add in the cost of the hot water and soap to wash it each and every time, and it might not be so attractive.

Is the spoon dried by a towel, or paper towel? Add that to the landfill or wash load.

Last edited:

royhobie

hobieflyer
It is a nice eco-friendly idea. There would be a very limited amount of people that have an allergy to this product. Quite a few coffee stirrers I've seen are now plastic. This idea saves the environment that much more.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
How about if you just use your finger to stir and pop that bad boy in your mouth to clean it...Problem solved....Next

dn0121

They tell ya in Hawaii to just add the creamer and sugar first this way you don't need to stir it.

oldman

Lobster Land
They tell ya in Hawaii to just add the creamer and sugar first this way you don't need to stir it.

Been doing that for 45 years now, sugar only though. Navy wasn't big on stirrers back then and to me it makes the coffee taste better.

SoMDGirl42

Couldn't that get a little pricey? What about just using a spoon you wash? I think it's a neat idea, and certainly better than all those darn little plastic things everywhere...I would just worry about the money..

You think an office full of men would actually wash their own spoon? :killingme

You think an office full of men would actually wash their own spoon? :killingme

Nope, just shake it off and use it again.... when it gets stained and crusty, replace it.
:lol:

Ok, minor correction, having just gotten back from the store. You would want to use Fettuccine, not linguine. Fettuccine is wider. Store brand is $1 for a 1lb box.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I stopped at a little roadside deli in VA yesterday. Nice place, all natural and organic menu. While I was waiting for my food, I looked at the little coffee table they had. The stirrers caught my eye.... They were just pieces of uncooked linguine cut to length.

How cool is that. Totally and completely natural and biodegradable. And if you really wanted, you could collect them and make lunch out of them......

We go thru a lot of coffee stir sticks at the office. I'm going to replace them and see how people react.

Excellent idea!

That's what I do, lol. I fell off the wagon recently :coffee:

ylexot

Super Genius
Quit being a bunch of f'n pussies and drink it black. :shrug:

Oh, and compost the grounds...good for plants :yay:

So far, the reaction has been great! People like the idea of using the fettuccine. It stays stiff enough to stir the coffee for at least 5 minutes before it gets limp. Most stir and throw it away within a few seconds anyway.