2004 Federal Pay Raises

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I know Dubya proposed a pay raise of 2% to federal employees next year. Has anyone seen or heard anything about where Congress stands on the issue?

If I remember right, Bush only wanted to give us 2.7% last year, but congress gave us 3.1%.

Warron

I'm pretty sure that last year’s raise was 4.1%. With 3.1% being a flat raise for everyone and the other 1% being for locality pay (which means you could get more or less then 1% depending on where you are). For PAX, the GS pay raise was 4.27%.

I expect it will be around the same this year. Both the senate and house have approved 4.1%, all they need to do now is reconcile the bill and get it signed by Bush. Based on how long that takes, things will probably end up like last year. We will get a lower raise in January followed by a backdated increase a few months later.

It seems to take congress longer and longer every year to get the budgets completed. They are going to end up a year behind if they keep this trend up.

K

Kizzy

Spoiled rotten Federal workers. :rolleyes:

Does my jealousy show? :lol:

They did make the announcement tonight that the Federal workers will get the day off after Christmas as an extra holiday. The state workers in Maryland will also get the same holiday :cheers: but no raise. :bawl:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
See here:

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1203/120803cdpm1.htm

or

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50962-2003Dec9.html

The way it works is: Dumbya said feds are worth only 2% next year, (but military is 4.1%) while Congress is likely to vote in a 4.1% raise. Agencies must make up the 2.1% difference out of their budgets, which means (at least for me) that several projects are cut. The slow way Congress is working means that we will probably get a 2% on Jan 1, with the difference to follow sometime in March or April like last year.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by IM4Change
They did make the announcement tonight that the Federal workers will get the day off after Christmas as an extra holiday. The state workers in Maryland will also get the same holiday :cheers:

:getdown: :dance: :dude:
:thewave:

Warron

The general raise was 4.1% with 2.7% going to base and the remainder being divided up for locality. For us at Pax that works out to 2.7% base increase and 14.63% locality increase for a grand total of 4.42% increase. Right now we are still getting the 2% from January, but it should raise to 4.42% within the next couple of pay periods. Then we will get the difference between the 2% and the 4.42% for the beginning of the year as a retroactive payment at whatever point they get around to giving it to us. Possibly divided up over two pay periods. Basically, the same process as last year.