low cost testing for cat disease?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Does anyone know of a place that will provide low cost testing for cat disease prior to spay/neuter? Most of these places I've dealt with in the past want $25 or more for that test. It tends up to eat up a big chunk of our rescue $$ raised, and we could help more critters if we can find a lower cost on that test.

luvscats

Does anyone know of a place that will provide low cost testing for cat disease prior to spay/neuter? Most of these places I've dealt with in the past want $25 or more for that test. It tends up to eat up a big chunk of our rescue $$ raised, and we could help more critters if we can find a lower cost on that test.

what kind of testing are you referring to? Felv/FIV?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
feral cat management

Yes .... I am about to embark on another feral barn cat project, so I need to minimize expenses as there may be 20 + barn cats at this location.

In looking up information about the test I located informationI am also concerned about using the test because I was reading that the tests produce false positives on a regular basis among other issues with the test. The information I saw from Alley Cat Allies said that testing of feral cats is not recommended due to a variety of reasons including the false positives.

what kind of testing are you referring to? Felv/FIV?

frequentflier

happy to be living
With any luck, the Calvert low cost spay/neuter/wellness pet clinic will be open in January in Huntingtown.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
oh that's always a good thing to have another S/N source for sure. I wonder sometimes if we are making any headway on the over-population of pets? I sure hope so. I haven't seen any statistics but the number has to be going down on how many animals get put down each year right?

With any luck, the Calvert low cost spay/neuter/wellness pet clinic will be open in January in Huntingtown.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I was at the SPOT thrift shop yesterday and didn't think to ask how many spay/neuter vouchers they provided this year. I do know they won't be offering any more until January 2010.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Sure would be nice if I could get enough traps together to trap a bunch of them and get them all done the same day. With having to take off work to trap/transport, would make it easier even if I had to do another fundraiser to pay for it.

I found out that only 3 or 4 of the 30 or so cats there at the barn have been fixed. Apparently the local predators are taking some of the kittens, and the rest end up in a variety of circumstances including being given away, going to the Humane Society or local shelters. The black cats/kittens just don't get adopted it seems. I really hope more people will adopt the black ones.

If anyone is interested in sponsoring the spay/neuter of one of the cats PLEASE let me know. You can pay the vet facility directly and even name your cat if you like <g>. Hoping to be able to get them all fixed before February so there won't be ANY more litters, but we'll see how that goes - money will be the deciding factor I'm sure.

We were able to raise enough money with the recent fundraiser to do a couple/few of them but that's about it.

dreamerdog

would be willing to help with the spay cost of a cat for you! have you tried using the humane society of charles county? very cheap, and offers rescue prices. call lynne at 301-645-8181.

stoppingby

The black cats/kittens just don't get adopted it seems. I really hope more people will adopt the black ones.

Same goes for the big, black dogs too. It's like they're on death row the minute they enter a shelter. I've googled for info on it as to why and there's reasons such as not being photogenic, superstitions about black cats, racism, etc. It's so very, very sad. I was happy when I saw a large black dog get adopted last weekend. So happy to see him walking out of the shelter. But at another shelter I saw a really large black dog and I just hope to this day that he didn't get The Deep Sleep as most do.

Some shelters will place attention getting notes, etc. on the cages of them and try to persuade people to give them second thought.

One of my Chi dogs mixed w/Pug is black with only a little spec of white on him. One of my cats years ago was black. I'd take a black dog or cat anytime and if just for the sole reason that they're least adoptable. I don't go for those so-called cuties, no.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
At the current location I am trying to assist ... These cats are going to die at this point due to not COLOR, but due to no $$ being available to fix them. If all of these cats could be trapped and fixed that would be great, but due to lack of money they will be killed by the shelter when they are turned in.

The 30+ cats currently will be 50 + soon if we don't stop the breeding. We don't have the $$ to fix 30+ CATS so we surely don't have $$ for more than 30.

We'd be grateful for pre-paid spay/neuter/shots at ANY clinic to help out.

We personally have black cats and dogs to save lives.

QUOTE=stoppingby;4140499]Same goes for the big, black dogs too. It's like they're on death row the minute they enter a shelter. I've googled for info on it as to why and there's reasons such as not being photogenic, superstitions about black cats, racism, etc. It's so very, very sad. I was happy when I saw a large black dog get adopted last weekend. So happy to see him walking out of the shelter. But at another shelter I saw a really large black dog and I just hope to this day that he didn't get The Deep Sleep as most do.

Some shelters will place attention getting notes, etc. on the cages of them and try to persuade people to give them second thought.

One of my Chi dogs mixed w/Pug is black with only a little spec of white on him. One of my cats years ago was black. I'd take a black dog or cat anytime and if just for the sole reason that they're least adoptable. I don't go for those so-called cuties, no.[/QUOTE]