Left Behind Series

ashliekay711

Anyone ever read the books from the Left Behind series? I have recently started reading them and i'm already on the 3rd book. I love them. Anyone else want to give a review?

camily

Peace
Anyone ever read the books from the Left Behind series? I have recently started reading them and i'm already on the 3rd book. I love them. Anyone else want to give a review?

I started reading them maybe two months ago. I'm on book 5 and can't get enough. My pastor just gave me the ENTIRE set. His father recently passed away and he brought it back from the family home. All but three are hard backed. He has a set and I was stalking him for another book just about every week. I couldn't believe it when he gave them to me. It even included the first three in the "Countdown to the Rapture" series about them growing up and "Revelation Unveiled" which was written by LaHaye that is focused solely on the book of Revelation.

ashliekay711

Did the Countdown to Rapture come out after the Left behind series as like a prequel-sp? because i just saw those the other day at the library and had never heard of them before. My parents read the entire series years ago, actually my 8 year old sisters name Chloe came from the book. They had always raved about the series and i just got in it, but i'm like you i can't seem to put it down! And its actually pretty cool, because i'll admit since i've started reading them i've been more interested in going to church, i've gone for years, but its like now i actually WANT to go. And our services lately have been going through the book of Mathew and talking about what will happen in the end times leading up to the rapture and everything, so its made me that much more interested. Its crazy how much it has made me come to terms with my faith so to say.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I started reading them maybe two months ago. I'm on book 5 and can't get enough. My pastor just gave me the ENTIRE set. His father recently passed away and he brought it back from the family home. All but three are hard backed. He has a set and I was stalking him for another book just about every week. I couldn't believe it when he gave them to me. It even included the first three in the "Countdown to the Rapture" series about them growing up and "Revelation Unveiled" which was written by LaHaye that is focused solely on the book of Revelation.

Nice. Could you list them in order? I've read the first one, but would like to buy the others in the correct order, including the Countdown to the Rapture series.

camily

Peace
Did the Countdown to Rapture come out after the Left behind series as like a prequel-sp? because i just saw those the other day at the library and had never heard of them before. My parents read the entire series years ago, actually my 8 year old sisters name Chloe came from the book. They had always raved about the series and i just got in it, but i'm like you i can't seem to put it down! And its actually pretty cool, because i'll admit since i've started reading them i've been more interested in going to church, i've gone for years, but its like now i actually WANT to go. And our services lately have been going through the book of Mathew and talking about what will happen in the end times leading up to the rapture and everything, so its made me that much more interested. Its crazy how much it has made me come to terms with my faith so to say.

I know what you mean. I have been reading the bible (esp. Revelation) and totally getting into it. I understand it so much more. It's amazing what is going to happen! Yes, Countdown is a prequel. You're making me want to go upstairs and read. :lol:
Also, I've watched the movies on youtube of the first three books and while they're great movies, they do NO justice to the books. They really don't follow the books too much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but nearly as much as reading the books.

camily

Peace
Nice. Could you list them in order? I've read the first one, but would like to buy the others in the correct order, including the Countdown to the Rapture series.

Left Behind
Tribulation Force
Nicolae
Soul Harvester
Apollyon
Assassins
The Indwelling
The Mark
Desecration
The Remnant
Armegeddon
Glorious Appearing
Kingdom Come
That's the first thirteen but I think there might even be 2 more at the end.
Then there's
The Rising
The Regime
The Rapture
Rapture's Witness
Deceiver's Game
And possible a 4th in the Countdown series.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Left Behind
Tribulation Force
Nicolae
Soul Harvester
Appolyon
Frantic
The Indwelling
The Mark
Desecration
The Remnant
Armegeddon
Glorious Appearing
Kingdom Come
That's the first thirteen but I think there might even be 2 more at the end.
Then there's
The Rising
The Regime
The Rapture
And possible a 4th in the Countdown series.

Thanks!

Toxick

Splat

I read them a few years ago. The first several books were pretty good, particularly the first one - but in my opinion, after book 6 or 7, they started going downhill very quickly. Around that point, newly introduced characters start becoming increasingly two dimensional, and by the penultimate book, I really didn't care about any of the characters remaining. I barely scanned Armageddon, and, I mostly only scanned The Glorious Appearing until the payoff sections of the book, which also left me disappointed. The problem with that is that at Jesus' Appearance almost all of his dialogue was biblical quotes.

I understand the desire not to put words in God's mouth, but I think it could have been pulled off a little better than that.

Now, with that being said: if you liked that series, particularly the subject matter, I would highly recommend The Christ Clone Trilogy by James BeauSeigneur. It's approach is much more scientifically and factually oriented (most of the first book is written in current times, with actual events laying the foundation for the Tribulation - actual live, verifyable footnotes are available throughout). And the prose is much less preachy and sanctimonious, which was kind of a turn off for me in the Left Behind series.

I found this series to be much more realistic, particularly the origins of the Antichrist, his rise to power, and reception by a global constituency, as well as the depiction of the plagues and issuance of the mark. The witnesses were more believable as were the 144,000.

The book is told through the eyes of a secular oriented man (Decker Hawthorne), and religious themes aren't really introduced until much later.

There are a couple of caveats while reading this series, however... Near the end of the second book you will believe that BeauSeigneur is an evil man. Also the Third book has parts in it which are terribly gruesome. If you can push through those things, you will have a most enjoyable experience reading these books, with an extremely satisfying payoff.

Hope that didn't sound too much like an advertisement.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I read them a few years ago. The first several books were pretty good, particularly the first one - but in my opinion, after book 6 or 7, they started going downhill very quickly. Around that point, newly introduced characters start becoming increasingly two dimensional, and by the penultimate book, I really didn't care about any of the characters remaining. I barely scanned Armageddon, and, I mostly only scanned The Glorious Appearing until the payoff sections of the book, which also left me disappointed. The problem with that is that at Jesus' Appearance almost all of his dialogue was biblical quotes.

I understand the desire not to put words in God's mouth, but I think it could have been pulled off a little better than that.

Now, with that being said: if you liked that series, particularly the subject matter, I would highly recommend The Christ Clone Trilogy by James BeauSeigneur. It's approach is much more scientifically and factually oriented (most of the first book is written in current times, with actual events laying the foundation for the Tribulation - actual live, verifyable footnotes are available throughout). And the prose is much less preachy and sanctimonious, which was kind of a turn off for me in the Left Behind series.

I found this series to be much more realistic, particularly the origins of the Antichrist, his rise to power, and reception by a global constituency, as well as the depiction of the plagues and issuance of the mark. The witnesses were more believable as were the 144,000.

The book is told through the eyes of a secular oriented man (Decker Hawthorne), and religious themes aren't really introduced until much later.

There are a couple of caveats while reading this series, however... Near the end of the second book you will believe that BeauSeigneur is an evil man. Also the Third book has parts in it which are terribly gruesome. If you can push through those things, you will have a most enjoyable experience reading these books, with an extremely satisfying payoff.

Sounds awesome. I wanna' read it. Good review :yay:

camily

Peace

I'll have to check it out. Never heard of before but it sounds interesting.

ashliekay711

I know what you mean. I have been reading the bible (esp. Revelation) and totally getting into it. I understand it so much more. It's amazing what is going to happen! Yes, Countdown is a prequel. You're making me want to go upstairs and read. :lol:
Also, I've watched the movies on youtube of the first three books and while they're great movies, they do NO justice to the books. They really don't follow the books too much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, but nearly as much as reading the books.

i have also been reading the bible and it really is amazing how much more i understand now. I've seen the first movie (when it first came out actually) i was wondering if they had movies for the rest of the books. i'll have to check them out on youtube.

camily

Peace
I would advise you folks to take what LaHaye says very lightly. He really has little grasp on end times doctrine. Stick with the Bible.
You can learn a lot more on this site: Christian Research Institute and the Bible Answer Man, Hank Hanegraaff and type in a search for Tim LaHaye or rapture, etc.

I've been reading the references in the books that are from Revelation and their pretty accurate.
Actually, all the references are accurate for all the verses and I believe his depiction is pretty much on the mark.

Last edited:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I've been reading the references in the books that are from Revelation and their pretty accurate.
Actually, all the references are accurate for all the verses and I believe his depiction is pretty much on the mark.
Camily, the problem is that LaHaye has misinterpreted the verses JUST like many other people have. His entire problem is that he fails (miserably) to understand that almost ALL of Revelation cannot be interpreted literally.
On the sufrace, it's really easy to misinterpret it, and many do.
His idea of a pre-tribulational rapture is not biblical.
His idea that Jesus was speaking only of the end of the world in Matthew 23 & part of 24 is wrong.
He also said that Jesus meant the last generation of the world when He spoke to the disciples about the "end of the age" when, in actuality, he was speaking about the destruction of Jerusalem which would come in 70AD.
LaHaye says that "the antichrist has the power to lay down his life and take it up again". If this is so, then he has power over life & death and we know that he doesn't. If he did, he could masquerade as the resurrected Christ Himself.
LaHaye means well but he is far from a qualified biblical end times teacher and, because of that, he's misled a lot of you. He said that the number of the beast (666) is a 21st century person. Not even close!
I could go on for hours...

Last edited: