Hermit Crabs?

jrogers

I know this is probably an ignorant question, but wouldnt want to dissapoint the kids by not knowing how to care for these weird little creatures!!

Has anybody ever had a hermit crab??
What do they like to eat?(besides their own food)
Do they like to be placed in water to swim?(fresh or salt water)
I have never taken care of a hermit crab, and im afraid that they might die because of something i dont know about.
They never come out of their shells until you put some water on them.
Any suggestions??

G

giggles04

I've never had one of those little buddies... wouldn't know what to do with them if I tried!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
My kids had plenty of them. They didn't survive long, usually only a few months.

slackwater514

I had a hermit crab that lived for several years on stale cheerios. Not a very friendly bugger - used to pinch me whenever it go the chance...maybe it was pissed off that it never got anything good to eat. They don't like to be in water (they're dry crabs), only to have a sponge soaked with water so that they can drink and keep their gills moist. Make sure you have shells that are slightly larger than their current shells available and with open side up so that they can change shells when they grow. That's all I can think of - good luck!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by slackwater514
I had a hermit crab that lived for several years on stale cheerios. Not a very friendly bugger - used to pinch me whenever it go the chance...maybe it was pissed off that it never got anything good to eat. They don't like to be in water (they're dry crabs), only to have a sponge soaked with water so that they can drink and keep their gills moist. Make sure you have shells that are slightly larger than their current shells available and with open side up so that they can change shells when they grow. That's all I can think of - good luck!

I had one that never seemed to want to die. That damn thing lived forever!
:biggrin:
Some pet stores actually have hermit crab food. I used to put a little dish in it's container that allowed it to crawl into the water every now and then, which I did see it do.
I had it in an aquarium and kept the light on. I think they may like it warm. I also found it better if it had company, like another hermit crab, for example.
Oh, yeah, and show the movie "The Little Mermaid" every now and then. He used to laugh so much at the little hermit crab on there!
(okay, just joking. he didn't laugh all that much)

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
Oh, yeah, and show the movie "The Little Mermaid" every now and then. He used to laugh so much at the little hermit crab on there!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Yours probably lived so long cuz you had it addicted to tv, good thing you didn't give it a playstation!

All the advice about hermit crab food and a bigger shell is correct.
We had a sponge and a little dish of water also. Be warned when you think they have died, sometimes they are just really resting from switching shells. I don't know how many times my kids would plan on a little funeral and the damn thing came back to life! My advice when you think they really have died, just wait a couple more days!

I would suggest buying a book at the pet store when you get the food and shells or just researching on the net. Good luck!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by Crabby Old Lady

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Yours probably lived so long cuz you had it addicted to tv, good thing you didn't give it a playstation!

He wanted to use the Playstation so badly, but had trouble using the controls with those claws!

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I believe humidity is another important factor in keeping them alive and well. See if you can get some terrarium moss that can be kept moist and keep it in the aquarium with it. Keep it warm as well, and have bigger shells available so it can "upgrade".