I say fire him ....he's a loose cannon for sure.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Officer Draws Gun at Snowball Fight

What was this man thinking? The way the world is today why on earth would anyone pull a gun at a snow fight? Policeman or not. He was in an unmarked vehicle, street clothes and is lucky to be alive.

With all the going postal activity these days that is the single most stupid move I've ever seen an officer or anyone make. He is lucky someone else didn't shoot him in defense thinking he was going to shoot into the crowd. No arrests were made, wow. Someone needed to make a citizens arrest on him. If this is swept under the rug....well need I say more? Says volumes about D.C.'s policies. He is NOT police material, get rid of him.

Now that I've vented , back to the drawing board. :coffee:

frogman123

agreed- should be fired. of course, he will say that he "felt threatened". idiot...

i think an cops gun should be used to protect others whose life are at risk and his own if he is in uniform. dont just carry around your gun and point it willy nilly because you can... if a citizen did this they would be in jail.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If this is the average level of intelligence in DC, I can see why they they want them disarmed. He should be in a home wearing an I love me jacket.

foodcritic

Officer Draws Gun at Snowball Fight

What was this man thinking? The way the world is today why on earth would anyone pull a gun at a snow fight? Policeman or not. He was in an unmarked vehicle, street clothes and is lucky to be alive.

With all the going postal activity these days that is the single most stupid move I've ever seen an officer or anyone make. He is lucky someone else didn't shoot him in defense thinking he was going to shoot into the crowd. No arrests were made, wow. Someone needed to make a citizens arrest on him. If this is swept under the rug....well need I say more? Says volumes about D.C.'s policies. He is NOT police material, get rid of him.

Now that I've vented , back to the drawing board. :coffee:

From what I read the officer has a very good reputation. Were you there? Uh NO. It is irrelevant why the officer was there or what type of car he was in. The officer appeared to feel threatened by what he saw or OR maybe heard. The video I saw shows a man with a riot helmet and shield. Who knows what else was visible off camera.

Since the officer is off duty he has no other "tools" to defend himself. Also simply removing a gun from a holster (in most jurisdictions) is no crime/policy violation what so ever!!!!!

So you see a gun in his hand :cds: oh no.......:killingme

Have you ever been involved with a civil disturbance event in DC?.....no. The video I saw, a large crowd blocking an intersection, was called a "snow ball fight" by those there. Did the officer know that?......probably not.

So remember just because the police have a gun in their hand...oh my :cds:
Does not mean anything. SHAME on Chief Lanier for rushing to judgment based on some bad video!

News flash watched it again on the news. Now the plain clothes officer is seen talking on the phone by his car and gets pelted in the face with a snowball. Can you say a crime was committed. Assault and throwing a projectile. :killingme

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

You might wanna consider what you are actually saying there, sport.

:tap:

bcp

In My Opinion
just like a bunch of hoodlums

bring a snowball to a gunfight

What were they thinking

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
From what I read the officer has a very good reputation. Were you there? Uh NO. It is irrelevant why the officer was there or what type of car he was in. The officer appeared to feel threatened by what he saw or OR maybe heard. The video I saw shows a man with a riot helmet and shield. Who knows what else was visible off camera.

Since the officer is off duty he has no other "tools" to defend himself. Also simply removing a gun from a holster (in most jurisdictions) is no crime/policy violation what so ever!!!!!

Have you ever been involved with a civil disturbance event in DC?.....no. The video I saw, a large crowd blocking an intersection, was called a "snow ball fight" by those there. Did the officer know that?......probably not.

Does not mean anything. SHAME on Chief Lanier for rushing to judgment based on some bad video!

News flash watched it again on the news. Now the plain clothes officer is seen talking on the phone by his car and gets pelted in the face with a snowball. Can you say a crime was committed. Assault and throwing a projectile. :killingme

All the guy had to do was open the door of that big-azz Hummer he was standing beside, get in, close the door, and stay on the phone calling for back-up, especially if he felt threatened by the crowd. He is, after all, one lone officer in plainclothes and if he had half a brain, he'd have known that he needed back-up quick if the situation was going south.

He got ticked off, and righfully so as no one likes snowballs thrown at their car or person. But, he over-reacted, and that's what people have problems with in this situation. Since he's been a DC cop for over 20 years, he should be familiar with crowd situations and how to handle them. I don't believe that DC police training would direct their officers to single-handedly take on a crowd that might possibly be hostile, on their own, with a drawn gun.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
From what I read the officer has a very good reputation. 1) Were you there? Uh NO. It is irrelevant why the officer was there or what type of car he was in. The officer appeared to feel threatened by what he saw or OR maybe heard. The video I saw shows a man with a riot helmet and shield. Who knows what else was visible off camera.

Since the officer is off duty he has no other "tools" to defend himself. Also simply removing a gun from a holster (in most jurisdictions) is no crime/policy violation what so ever!!!!![/B]

2)Have you ever been involved with a civil disturbance event in DC?.....no. The video I saw, a large crowd blocking an intersection, was called a "snow ball fight" by those there. Did the officer know that?......probably not.

You missed my point totally. *shakes head* So sorry common sense as well as comprehension runs so shallow in the evaluation portion of the river of your mind.

1) No.... I wasn't there, nor am I blind to the stupidity I witnessed on TV. As I see it any Joe Blow could have jumped out of a car claiming to be an officer. Anyone of the snow party could have viewed that man as a threat to the crowd and shot first. Note: Not only police officers carry guns these days and aren't afraid to use them. So opinion is not off the cuff, its a result of many hours of wondering why a person would walk in a school or a workplace an blow away innocents.
1a) When we were kids we used trash can lids and my dads shop masks.
1b) He should have made a snowball.
1c) A first step to escalating a minor incident into a major one.

2) Here comes the fun....assume much? YES I have been involved in several major civil disturbances in D.C. Not by choice mind you, but unavoidable because I grew up in D.C. and as a teenager I lived in S.E. / S.W. area during the riots. I have witnessed much more than you may think. That being said its all irrelevant to this incident.

I am sorry but I still only see bad judgement on his part. The potential to cause the situation 'a simple snowball fight' into 'a deadly gunfight ' reared its head when a plainclothes officer pulled a gun on a crowd of people playing in the snow. Remember, they didn't know who he was either and might have felt threatened. One person in the crowd seeing the gun may have reacted badly leading to more chaos and possible disaster.

:coffee:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
All the guy had to do was open the door of that big-azz Hummer he was standing beside, get in, close the door, and stay on the phone calling for back-up, especially if he felt threatened by the crowd. He is, after all, one lone officer in plainclothes and if he had half a brain, he'd have known that he needed back-up quick if the situation was going south.

He got ticked off, and righfully so as no one likes snowballs thrown at their car or person. But, he over-reacted, and that's what people have problems with in this situation. Since he's been a DC cop for over 20 years, he should be familiar with crowd situations and how to handle them. I don't believe that DC police training would direct their officers to single-handedly take on a crowd that might possibly be hostile, on their own, with a drawn gun.

Amen. Calling for backup is a necessary move these days more than ever.

foodcritic

You missed my point totally. *shakes head* So sorry common sense as well as comprehension runs so shallow in the evaluation portion of the river of your mind.

1) No.... I wasn't there, nor am I blind to the stupidity I witnessed on TV. As I see it any Joe Blow could have jumped out of a car claiming to be an officer. Anyone of the snow party could have viewed that man as a threat to the crowd and shot first. Note: Not only police officers carry guns these days and aren't afraid to use them. So opinion is not off the cuff, its a result of many hours of wondering why a person would walk in a school or a workplace an blow away innocents.
1a) When we were kids we used trash can lids and my dads shop masks.
1b) He should have made a snowball.
1c) A first step to escalating a minor incident into a major one.

2) Here comes the fun....assume much? YES I have been involved in several major civil disturbances in D.C. Not by choice mind you, but unavoidable because I grew up in D.C. and as a teenager I lived in S.E. / S.W. area during the riots. I have witnessed much more than you may think. That being said its all irrelevant to this incident.

I am sorry but I still only see bad judgement on his part. The potential to cause the situation 'a simple snowball fight' into 'a deadly gunfight ' reared its head when a plainclothes officer pulled a gun on a crowd of people playing in the snow. Remember, they didn't know who he was either and might have felt threatened. One person in the crowd seeing the gun may have reacted badly leading to more chaos and possible disaster.

When I said involved I meant have you actually worked as a police officer and had to deal with a civil disturbance?

That said. You can Monday morning quarterback all you want. The officer works in DC and has every right (and responsibility) to take some police action based on what he saw/perceived. Maybe sitting in his car was the best option. Maybe not. He had a radio in his hand outside the car so I am assuming he had contacted his dispatcher.

All these "snowballers" are are the anarchists/codepink/not in our name/etc groups that decided to take a really bad traffic day and make it much worse for everyone there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

You said;

Why is he lucky to be alive? Is he supposed to just stand by, like everyone else in this world, and not interfere with anyone's 'right' to a good time, however violent or destructive it may be?

There is a reason only kids, children, throw snowballs. When big 'kids' do it, it hurts and it can do damage.

Why is he lucky to be alive?

4Father

When I said involved I meant have you actually worked as a police officer and had to deal with a civil disturbance?

That said. You can Monday morning quarterback all you want. The officer works in DC and has every right (and responsibility) to take some police action based on what he saw/perceived. Maybe sitting in his car was the best option. Maybe not. He had a radio in his hand outside the car so I am assuming he had contacted his dispatcher.

All these "snowballers" are are the anarchists/codepink/not in our name/etc groups that decided to take a really bad traffic day and make it much worse for everyone there.

Pranksters + emotional overreaction + easily available gun = Stupid outcome

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Why is he lucky to be alive? Is he supposed to just stand by, like everyone else in this world, and not interfere with anyone's 'right' to a good time, however violent or destructive it may be?

There is a reason only kids, children, throw snowballs. When big 'kids' do it, it hurts and it can do damage.

My statement taken slightly out of context I think. Meaning that the pulling of a gun is an invitation to the pulling of another. Much more a destructive possibility than a snowball.

No adults throw snowballs? Don't make me laugh. Let me say another thing, children's snowballs can hurt badly and can be very destructive. Makes one wonder how he would have reacted had it been a group of children? The same way?

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

My statement taken slightly out of context I think. Meaning that the pulling of a gun is an invitation to the pulling off another. Much more a destructive possibility than a snowball.

No adults throw snowballs? Don't make me laugh. Let me say another thing, children's snowballs can hurt badly and can be very destructive.

So, then, we are agreed, a bunch of people were very likely being violent and destructive with snowballs and a cop tries to do something about it and because of numbers and crowd belligerence, he pulls his weapon, part out of intent to get people to cut it out and part fear, right?

It appals me that ANYONE is taking the mobs side in this. It appals me that we want men to just totally cut their balls off and do nothing when they see wrong being done.

There is no way in hell these kids were NOT damaging property, including cars and windows and there is no way in hell that they were not hitting innocent bystanders.

What the flying hell is wrong with us?

4Father

So, then, we are agreed, a bunch of people were very likely being violent and destructive with snowballs and a cop tries to do something about it and because of numbers and crowd belligerence, he pulls his weapon, part out of intent to get people to cut it out and part fear, right?

It appals me that ANYONE is taking the mobs side in this. It appals me that we want men to just totally cut their balls off and do nothing when they see wrong being done.

There is no way in hell these kids were NOT damaging property, including cars and windows and there is no way in hell that they were not hitting innocent bystanders.

It was a snowball fight! A gun has no place there. Can a cop draw his weapon if someone throws a water ballon at him? What about a Food fight?

It was an over reaction.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
The off duty cop should have picked a side and started firing snowballs back, much more fun!!! :dye:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It was a snowball fight! A gun has no place there. Can a cop draw his weapon if someone throws a water ballon at him? What about a Food fight?

It was an over reaction.

You say. Sounds a lot more like a mob to me. Seems that is a good reason to have cops.

One person has already said he was lucky to get out of their alive. What's that tell you? Just a bunch of friendly, respectful kids out on a lark until some mean ol' insecure cop comes along and ruins everything?

You don't think for a moment that there was enough belligerence on the part of the 'children' to warrant a person charged with keeping the peace to take action? No way those little kiddies were hitting buildings, cars, innocent bystanders?

Come on! Let's lynch us a cop! This was his fault! :tap:

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...

Now it was a mob? Wow.

Its not a matter of taking sides cop or mob (lol), its just a matter of RIGHT AND WRONG.

Salt it, marinade it overnight then cook it till it sings....Its still NOT right to pull a gun on a group of people having a snowball fight.

Snowball injuries to passersby are a lost less harmful than a passerby getting shot. Insurance covers dents. It was our first big snow in a long time people were having fun. A 25 year veteran should have handled it better.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Now it was a mob? Wow.

Its not a matter of taking sides cop or mob (lol), its just a matter of RIGHT AND WRONG.

Salt it, marinade it overnight then cook it till it sings....Its still NOT right to pull a gun on a group of people having a snowball fight.

Snowball injuries to passersby are a lost less harmful than a passerby getting shot. Insurance covers dents. It was our first big snow in a long time people were having fun. A 25 year veteran should have handled it better.

Why in the flying hell should you, as a local shop, suffering terrified customers due to a bunch of morons? Why should you suffer perhaps a concussion (slush or ice balls anyone?) or perhaps lose an eye or broken glasses or slip and fall why trying to run away? So they can have their fun? Are you freaking kidding me?

This cop put a stop to the mayhem. I think he showed some stones and sense of duty to put a stop to it.

Go ahead. Fire him. Put him out of a career so the kiddies don't feel menaced or put in their place by authority. See who comes running next time when it's your windows being put out, your shop being looted as the 'fun' gets out of hand. See who gives a #### when you or your kid gets hit and perhaps injured.

WTF is wrong with you people? You like anarchy? :tap: