Interest Rates

Mortgage rates have crept back up ever so slightly in the last month. U.S. Treasury yields are starting to climb. However, the Fed players' rhetoric still indicates more concern with deflation than inflation, so who knows when they'll state raising rates - I've heard a few people suggest that it wouldn't be until June of next year.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I heard last week on WTOP that the fed was going to leave them low for awhile longer.

I concur with Tilted. Rates were the lowest in the beginning of December but in the last week, they have increased and/or the discount points associated with them have risen sharply in the past week.They are like gas prices, sharp increases and then take their sweet time coming back down......FYI (I'm about to close on a house in three weeks and I monitor them hourly.)

I heard last week on WTOP that the fed was going to leave them low for awhile longer.

It's hard to know how long they'll carry on with the lunacy, but their rhetoric doesn't point to them abandoning it soon. It surely won't be next month.

designer300z

Rates Jumped up today. Last week it was as low as 4.75, and this morning it hit 5.125, which is the highest we've seen since August. It's anybody's guess as to where they go right now.

Rates Jumped up today. Last week it was as low as 4.75, and this morning it hit 5.125, which is the highest we've seen since August. It's anybody's guess as to where they go right now.

Freddie Mac's Primary Mortgage Market Survey indicated that the average 30-year fixed rate mortgage jumped to 5.14% this week - a 4-month high. You're right - it's anybody's guess, but at this point, I wouldn't bet on any significant and sustained decline in rates.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
3.75% - Ay caramba! How long is that for? It can't be fixed if it is for 20 years or more, can it?

I've got a couple of significant CDs maturing in a few months that I had locked in before rates really tanked - me sad. :ohwell:
It's for 5 years. You can settle online or at a location of your choosing. I had the guy come to my house. Closing costs are cheap too.

It's for 5 years. You can settle online or at a location of your choosing. I had the guy come to my house. Closing costs are cheap too.

Gotcha. That's still pretty cheap money. Heck, they could get 2.68% loaning the money to the federal government for 5 years - and that's 0 risk (er, uh, maybe).