Any Reptile Rescues?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:love: OMG yes just trying to make a contact for possible referrals in the future and possible donations of reptile items/equipment we have acquired :jerry:

I was just seeing if she had a sick critter, nothing to get your panties in a bind over. Good Lord. :rolleyes:

Macluvr

:love: OMG yes just trying to make a contact for possible referrals in the future and possible donations of reptile items/equipment we have acquired :jerry:

This is the only place I could find, but they may have people down this way, it would not hurt to call, if not, you could always contact Katelin her on the boards. She may be able to help you. Good Luck!! :howdy:
Charm City Reptile Rescue
P. O. Box 65012

Baltimore, MD 21209
Phone: 410-580-0250

Email: rescue@reptileinfo.com

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I really wanted to put that youtube video of Samuel L. Jackson from "Snakes on a Plane" here, but I think I might get in trouble. When I hear reptiles I think snakes, I hate snakes and I think of that movie.:jameo:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Snakes not bad .....

Snakes are not necessarily bad - they just scare people by how agile and maneuverable (sp?) they are, so that makes them apppear so scary and threatening, when usually they try to get away from you. I have learned to walk with heavy steps outside to give snakes warning that I am coming.

As a child, I learned from an experienced handler how to be calm, gentle, and non-threatening to a snake. I was never bitten as a child handling snakes, although I mostly handled domesticated (is there such a thing?) snakes.

Knowing what I know NOW about snakes, I would be more careful. However, snakes need more room than they usually get in captivity. So IMHO snakes in captivity are usually space restricted. Which like other critters can make them cranky and irritable and more prone to bite.

I really wanted to put that youtube video of Samuel L. Jackson from "Snakes on a Plane" here, but I think I might get in trouble. When I hear reptiles I think snakes, I hate snakes and I think of that movie.:jameo:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Snakes are not necessarily bad - they just scare people by how agile and maneuverable (sp?) they are, so that makes them apppear so scary and threatening, when usually they try to get away from you. I have learned to walk with heavy steps outside to give snakes warning that I am coming.

As a child, I learned from an experienced handler how to be calm, gentle, and non-threatening to a snake. I was never bitten as a child handling snakes, although I mostly handled domesticated (is there such a thing?) snakes.

Knowing what I know NOW about snakes, I would be more careful. However, snakes need more room than they usually get in captivity. So IMHO snakes in captivity are usually space restricted. Which like other critters can make them cranky and irritable and more prone to bite.

Some snakes have fangs and poison, 'nuf said.

Most give me the creeps because I don't feel like I have enough time between seeing the snake and determining if it is poisonous or not, I was told by the shape of the head, but I'm usually freaking out as soon as I see the snake, so I don't really pay much attention to the shape of it's head.

Here is a picture I got on my deck of a snake when I interrupted his breakfast, I did notice the shape of it's head, I didn't feel too threatened since he was really tiny and I had time to go get my camera since I felt he was preoccupied, but this was right before I got a net and scooped him up causing him to lose the little frog in his mouth that he was trying to digest and then I tossed him over the 6 foot fence.

Attachments

• snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 167

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
OMG you threw my Danny into the neighbors yard? :killingme I understand .....

Some snakes have fangs and poison, 'nuf said.

Most give me the creeps because I don't feel like I have enough time between seeing the snake and determining if it is poisonous or not, I was told by the shape of the head, but I'm usually freaking out as soon as I see the snake, so I don't really pay much attention to the shape of it's head.

Here is a picture I got on my deck of a snake when I interrupted his breakfast, I did notice the shape of it's head, I didn't feel too threatened since he was really tiny and I had time to go get my camera since I felt he was preoccupied, but this was right before I got a net and scooped him up causing him to lose the little frog in his mouth that he was trying to digest and then I tossed him over the 6 foot fence.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
OMG you threw my Danny into the neighbors yard? :killingme I understand .....

Sorry, Danny was just a little too close to my pool for me and my daughter's comfort, I'm sure he is happy where he ended up, neighbors are seasonal and the grass is tall, he'll have plenty of food, I'm sure.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I understand ... I hope the neighbors didn't notice the new addition LOL

Sorry, Danny was just a little too close to my pool for me and my daughter's comfort, I'm sure he is happy where he ended up, neighbors are seasonal and the grass is tall, he'll have plenty of food, I'm sure.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
We have a little corn snake staying with us for the winte. He's mean and eats un-frozen dead mice fetuses. I don't care for him. We have had boas and pythons in the past. I found the pythons to be the most friendly........... They would wrap around you and watch t.v. Those were the days of having a young boy in thr house. When he went in the MC, he left us with a boa that I think got to 8'. NO love for that one. He WAS VERY STRONG and not so friendly. Got a big rat every few weeks. Grossed me out. Found him a new home.I got attached to the rats. :lol:

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm not a captive snake person by any means. I don't like keeping them cooped up, and with smaller critters around like guinea pigs, I'd just be advertising a dinner invitation lol.

Hmm shape of head - okay well I am not usually wanting to get that close to a snake outside to see the shape of their head. I think they can strike so fast that I'd prefer to keep my distance. You can also look at their eyes? Yeah right - I'll just pick it up and look into its eyes and go - uh oh it's a bad one ......

The 75 gallon snake tank I have for sale was used by a friend who did snake rescue in the past, and they had to design a custom top for it to keep a strong snake in they had rescued. Until they did they'd find that snake roaming the house regularly (would push bricks off screened top) so they made a special top out of plexiglass with holes. I said there is NO way I'd be keeping a snake like that in my house. Anyway, if the tank doesn't sell soon I'll consider donating it to a reptile rescue. It's 4 feet long! I need my shed space back.

We have a little corn snake staying with us for the winte. He's mean and eats un-frozen dead mice fetuses. I don't care for him. We have had boas and pythons in the past. I found the pythons to be the most friendly........... They would wrap around you and watch t.v. Those were the days of having a young boy in thr house. When he went in the MC, he left us with a boa that I think got to 8'. NO love for that one. He WAS VERY STRONG and not so friendly. Got a big rat every few weeks. Grossed me out. Found him a new home.I got attached to the rats. :lol:

Macluvr

We have a beautiful corn snake. Not sure what it's color is called as I have seen different names all over the web. But here is a picture of a snake that is the same color as ours. Ours is about 4 or 5 feet long. Very sweet!

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I just went out to move something in my yard and was surprised by a snake that looked just like this, it's a Southern Black Racer, I know why because by the time I ran to get my camera, he was gone, nowhere to be found. Apparently this one was very young and as they get older they turn completely black. Very pretty snake as far as snakes go.

Found this picture online while trying to identify the snake.

Attachments

• youngblacksnake1.jpg
    youngblacksnake1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 146

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am quite certain that if not for snakes, we would be over-run with small rodents :boo: - not that I want to walk up on a snake and be bitten (and I almost was), I just know that the balance they maintain in small mammal society is needed. Hence why they are tolerable. Yay for snakes?

Snakes are venomous, not poisonous, and they pretty much all have fangs. They sure do help with the mouse population here though