We're paying for uninsured motorists. How nice!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I guess I knew this but it really struck a chord today since it's time to renew all of my policies. My car & bike policy each have 2 additional fees for "uninsured/underinsured motorists & their property damage". I called the company and asked if they would remove it and they said: "...it's a Md law and we can't." He didn't know all of the states that require this but he said: "most states are making it a requirement on all policies". :cds: How do we get this madness stopped??!! I'd save almost $200 each year without them. I'm actually paying for 2 policies on each vehicle; mine and the other guys!
If it's illegal to drive in Md without insurance, then why are we paying for it here IN MD???!!! To whom do I write? I mean it! I'll start the ball rolling here. Car insurance companies need to be overhauled too!

We're also paying for everyone else to have phone service (I'm sure you all knew that though) in the "Universal service charges".
Either it all has to stop or it needs to be deductible as charity.
I wonder if the power and cable companies have people paying for other people's service too?

Heck, I should also check to see whose home owners policies I'm paying for while I'm at it! :burning:

I

Irish_Eyes

Uhm... while I can KIND of see your point... I don't think you understand exactly what uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage really is. It's not to pay for damages done to HIS property if he hits you, it's to protect YOU if he hits you and can't pay. All that being said, it's fairly necissary because unless someone gets into an accident or gets pulled over, the cops don't have some kind of homing beacon that allows them to pull over and arrest every uninsured motorist on the road.

Also, living in SOMD, I'm surprised you don't realize how many people are driving uninsured here because of the base. Military and contractors who move into the state but still have their car registered in another one, might not have to pay insurance, depending on that state's law.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little extra on my insurance every month to make sure I'm protected if one of them hits me and they can't pay, than not. I bet you the medical bills and the repairs to your car are going to amount to more than 200 if your insurance company doesn't cover it on their own.

I

Irish_Eyes

Also, here's the definition of uninsured motorist coverage from Insurance Quotes: Get car insurance quotes and save on your auto insurance policy.

Covers you, the insured members of your household and your passengers for bodily/personal injuries, damages, or death caused by an at-fault uninsured or hit-and-run driver. If you are involved in an accident where the other driver is at fault but has no insurance, your policy will cover your medical expenses, up to the limit on your policy.

I

Irish_Eyes

Very few folks come here for the base that are uninsured. 48 states require some form of liability coverage, either through insurance or proof of sufficient assets to cover damages you might cause.

Insure.com - Minimum levels of car insurance you are required to buy

Much more common are folks who just don't get it.

Still doesn't make my point any less valid. He seems to think he's paying for someone else's damages when in reality, he's paying to cover his ass if they can't pay and the accident is their fault. I was simply pointing out the possibility that there could be people here, if for no other reason than the base, who may be uninsured. He seems to think every driver on MD state roads is going to be insured. =/

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree, your point about why we pay it is valid. I just wanted to clear up the fact that there are far more folks uninsured because they just do dont it than there are folks who are uninsured becuase they came here from a place that doesn't require it.

You do need to show proof of insurance to get a pass or sticker.

Also, living in SOMD, I'm surprised you don't realize how many people are driving uninsured here because of the base.

Sorry, this statement seemed to imply there were many people hereunder that circumstance, when in fact, its very, very few.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Very few folks come here for the base that are uninsured. 48 states require some form of liability coverage, either through insurance or proof of sufficient assets to cover damages you might cause.

Insure.com - Minimum levels of car insurance you are required to buy

Much more common are folks who just don't get it.

Just because the state requires you to have insurance on a vehicle before you drive it doesn't mean that everyone complies with that law

if you let your insurance run out, the MVA doesn't come to your house and take the tags off your car....they send you a letter when ever they do their compliance evaluations(every year or so) that states that you either show proof of insurance or you pay a fine

Oh....if you put down that you have the same insurance that you had when you got the tags for the vehicle, they don't usually check to make sure it is valid

I

Irish_Eyes

Sorry, this statement seemed to imply there were many people hereunder that circumstance, when in fact, its very, very few.

Reading back over it, I can see the misunderstanding. Wasn't intentional, just didn't word things as well as I could have, sorry. And I know I had to show proof of insurance on my car to get my stickers... but I'm not sure what the policy is for those driving cars from out of state and all, as I've never been one of those people.

glhs837

Power with Control
You have to meet your states standard. I did back in 96, when I came down from Maine. And of course, unless your military, you have a specified time, once you become a resident, to switch your car over to MD tags. I kept my Maine tags til 96, then after I got out, I switched mine

onebdzee

off the shelf
You have to meet your states standard. I did back in 96, when I came down from Maine. And of course, unless your military, you have a specified time, once you become a resident, to switch your car over to MD tags. I kept my Maine tags til 96, then after I got out, I switched mine

If you are not active duty military you have 30 days to transfer everything(insurance, license, tags) over to the state you reside

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Uhm... while I can KIND of see your point... I don't think you understand exactly what uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage really is. It's not to pay for damages done to HIS property if he hits you, it's to protect YOU if he hits you and can't pay.
Also, living in SOMD, I'm surprised you don't realize how many people are driving uninsured here because of the base. Military and contractors who move into the state but still have their car registered in another one, might not have to pay insurance, depending on that state's law.
Personally, I'd rather spend a little extra on my insurance every month to make sure I'm protected if one of them hits me and they can't pay, than not. I bet you the medical bills and the repairs to your car are going to amount to more than 200 if your insurance company doesn't cover it on their own.
Where the heck did you get that idea that I don't know what it's for??? I know full well that it covers them hitting me but why the heck should I pay for them?!! They should not drive; plain & simple! You & I and others have to pay, they should too or not drive.
I can also assure you that the DMV has a homing device on their tags. One year my insurance company messed up on my policy renewal and the DMV didn't get the info; 2 days later I had a nasty letter requesting my tags or else!
Next, I hope no one from the base is ununsured. IT'S ILLEGAL IN MARYLAND! As long as they have insurance from their state they're covered.
Finally, if you'd like to send me $200 each year I won't mind accepting it since you dont mind "spending a little extra on my insurance every month to make sure I'm protected if one of them hits me and they can't pay"...
This is the Obama mindset. To me, driving is a privilege NOT a right.
And please send along some extra for the phone & electric bills too. :buddies:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
But you had insurance from Maine, I'm sure, right?
My gripe is, because it is such a large liability, no tags should be given out without verifiable insurance. Now, I understand that not everyone does things legally but my contention is still: Why should we all pay for it? If they hit us, they should be made to cough up whatever assets they have, to pay for the damages and not drive again until it's paid. The DMV says they need: "proof of valid insurance" so I'd think they'd have to verify it??? No state should allow uninsured vehicles.
Maybe DC should have to give Md a list of their uninsured vehicles. Then, because they'd be illegal here, the cops could use their tag reader cars to locate them.
Sorry, folks but this just set me off tonight. I could live with paying a few bucks extra to help others but I can't turn a blind eye to over $200 in insurance fee, PLUS the phone & electric USF's.

bcp

In My Opinion
Just because the state requires you to have insurance on a vehicle before you drive it doesn't mean that everyone complies with that law

if you let your insurance run out, the MVA doesn't come to your house and take the tags off your car....they send you a letter when ever they do their compliance evaluations(every year or so) that states that you either show proof of insurance or you pay a fine

Oh....if you put down that you have the same insurance that you had when you got the tags for the vehicle, they don't usually check to make sure it is valid
In Maryland, insurance compainies are required to notify the DMV when you drop your insurance.
You really cant get away with not having insurance on any vehicle registered in the state. If you do, you will also be driving on dead tags shortly after dropping that insurance.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If you are not active duty military you have 30 days to transfer everything(insurance, license, tags) over to the state you reside

:yeahthat: and I switched from Hawaiian tags ($0.50 a year) to Maryland (had to pay sales tax again) as quickly as possible

:killingme

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
My gripe is, because it is such a large liability, no tags should be given out without verifiable insurance. Now, I understand that not everyone does things legally but my contention is still: Why should we all pay for it?

They aren't issued with out proof of insurance. Once issued, it's fairly easy to cancel your insurance..

We all pay for it because the people in Annapolis we elected to represent our interests actually represent the insurance companies that bribe them.

onebdzee

off the shelf
In Maryland, insurance compainies are required to notify the DMV when you drop your insurance.
You really cant get away with not having insurance on any vehicle registered in the state. If you do, you will also be driving on dead tags shortly after dropping that insurance.

They are required to notify the MVA, however the MVA has to get the tags from you....if all they do is send you a notice, some won't send them in especially if they can still drive with them....They are also not "linked" to the insurance company....If you write down that you have insurance, the MVA will issue the new tags/stickers without checking....they will send a notice to the insurance company for validation of the insurance and if you don't have it, they will send you a nasty letter....The last time I went to renew my tags, the lady didn't even ask for proof of insurance

Some get caught out on the road, either by being involved in an accident, getting stopped for a traffic violation, or the police running a random check on their plates....But, there is those others that don't ever get caught

And just because the stickers are expired doesn't mean that the police are going to see that either....I rode my bike(by accident) for about 4 months with dead tags

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Uninsured motorists has been on my insurance since I've been driving (and we're not going there). :lmao:

My insurance company will not let me cancel insurance on a vehicle until I show them a receipt from the MVA that I turned in the tags.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Uninsured motorists has been on my insurance since I've been driving (and we're not going there). :lmao:

My insurance company will not let me cancel insurance on a vehicle until I show them a receipt from the MVA that I turned in the tags.

If you don't pay the insurance bill....it cancels :razz:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

If you don't pay the insurance bill....it cancels :razz:

:yeahthat: You're thinking like a responsible member of society.
I had someone smack my car in my driveway one night then leave. The claim was paid (less my deductible) from my uninsured motorist coverage