Winter chill will impact your bill

betty99

They are saying that this is the coldest winter we have faced in over 20 years. (You think that's cold? • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)) That’s really going to impact your energy bills.

SMECO wants to remind you to save energy to save money.

Most of you know to turn off appliances and other energy users that you see around the house, such as lights and televisions; but people often forget about their major energy-using appliances. In most households, the major energy-using appliances are heating and cooling systems, and water heaters.

Following these tips can help reduce your energy bill:
  • Heating systems account for a significant portion of a residential customer’s energy use, so wear warm clothes inside and turn down the thermostat, which SMECO recommends setting at 68 degrees.
  • Make sure to clean or replace the filters on your heating system monthly.
  • Keep window blinds and curtains open during the day to let in sunlight, but close them at night to keep cold air out.
  • Do not set your heat pump to run in emergency heat mode or auxiliary heat mode, because the resistance heat elements cost more to operate.
  • Avoid changing your heat pump thermostat. Find the coolest comfortable setting and leave it there. Moving the thermostat setting up and down will cause your heat pump to operate less efficiently and will cost you more money.
  • Keep exterior doors and windows closed.
  • Use bathroom exhaust fans only when needed. They pull warm air and humidity out of the house.
  • Keep snow and leaves away from the outdoor unit of your heat pump.
  • Have your heating system professionally serviced on a regular basis to keep it operating at its peak efficiency.

Visit Energy Tips for more energy-saving tips.

OldHillcrestGuy

Besides it being cold out in December and with Christmas lights and all, at least In my area, Charlotte Hall they were 3 days later then normal reading the meter this month usually always on the 1st of the month this time the 4th. Thats got to be good for a couple of more bucks on the bill.

lisa8439

Thanks for the post... maybe I can get my husband to keep the thermostats on 68 degrees now since SMECO 'suggests it' - 68 is 'hot' for him :lol: I try to keep it on 67 when we are on a floor for a long time (we have one of those systems where we have a thermostat on each floor and we have 3) but hubby comes behind me and changes it to 65.

I keep telling him that it is bad to keep changing the thermostats so much - and that we should just keep it on 67 so now I'm using this info against him.
:coffee:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I wish my hubby would keep the thermo at 68. I have my own personal thermo nuclear reactions going on. no need to add to the BTU.

oldman

Lobster Land
SMECO also says they have to buy more energy in the summer and winter. I have to believe that raises their cost which they pass on to us. I say this because I heat with kerosene and have done nothing different as far as electric use this winter, yet my current bill is $20 more than the previous month.

ylexot

Super Genius
SMECO also says they have to buy more energy in the summer and winter. I have to believe that raises their cost which they pass on to us. I say this because I heat with kerosene and have done nothing different as far as electric use this winter, yet my current bill is $20 more than the previous month.

Actually, it's really easy to tell if they have raised the rates...look at the rates on your bills.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wish my hubby would keep the thermo at 68. I have my own personal thermo nuclear reactions going on. no need to add to the BTU.

I have my own personal summer, too. I sleep with the window open and the ceiling fan on. I guess I need to shove something under the door so there's not a draft. :ohwell:

ylexot

Super Genius
I just looked at my Nov and Dec bills. The only rate that changed was "Power Cost Adj - Energy" which changed from $-0.008124/kWh in Nov to $-0.008307/kwh in Dec. So, I'm actually paying less per kWh in Dec than I was in Nov.

bcp

In My Opinion
What started as a move out of spite, we have become used to the house at 64 degrees.
Usually by now I would have burned a half tank or more of heating oil, so far, Ive only burned almost a quarter tank.
Its really amazing how much a few degrees will save you.

its also raised the comedy of watching the animals all run to the heat vents every time they hear the furnace kick in.