Warning about Cats & Dogs Vet

denisend

My cat Yates had surgery at Cats & Dogs (in Bowie) last week and during recovery he was given food containing chicken even though we clearly wrote on the intake forms that he's allergic to chicken (and gave them cans of food that he is not allergic to).

In the end it didn't really matter (we had to put him to sleep on Sunday), but I'm still angry that they didn't pay attention to that.

Denise

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
That's very strange. I'd have to hear their side of it. I have been going there for 5 years and they are extremely thorough, professional and caring.

Sorry about the loss of your cat.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
My cat Yates had surgery at Cats & Dogs (in Bowie) last week and during recovery he was given food containing chicken even though we clearly wrote on the intake forms that he's allergic to chicken (and gave them cans of food that he is not allergic to).

In the end it didn't really matter (we had to put him to sleep on Sunday), but I'm still angry that they didn't pay attention to that.

Denise

:frown: :huggy: I'm sorry for your loss.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
That's very strange. I'd have to hear their side of it. I have been going there for 5 years and they are extremely thorough, professional and caring.

Sorry about the loss of your cat.

very sorry for your loss :huggy: :huggy:

I second what Catt said. I have gone there also and they were great.

But it goes to show you that there is not a perfect vet hospital in everyones eyes. Who knows... if I go back... I may have a bad experiance. :shrug:

denisend

Geez, people.

Whoever called them... I did NOT say they killed my cat. What was wrong with him wasn't affected by the food.

They did everything that could be done. They just weren't as professional as they could have been, and in the future I'll be going to some other facility.

Now they're calling my house and telling me that the food we had been feeding him contained stuff that he was allergic to even though it wasn't on the ingredients list and that the stuff they gave him was hypoallergenic... pointing fingers. I don't need this!

Denise

Geez, people.

Whoever called them... I did NOT say they killed my cat. What was wrong with him wasn't affected by the food.

They did everything that could be done. They just weren't as professional as they could have been, and in the future I'll be going to some other facility.

Now they're calling my house and telling me that the food we had been feeding him contained stuff that he was allergic to even though it wasn't on the ingredients list and that the stuff they gave him was hypoallergenic... pointing fingers. I don't need this!

Denise
You posted in a public thread and they have the right to respond. :shrug: In fact, I find it highly professional they called you directly.

denisend

Yes, but the "caller" told them that I said they killed my cat, which is NOT what I said. The "caller" exaggerated the situation to stir up drama.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Yes, but the "caller" told them that I said they killed my cat, which is NOT what I said. The "caller" exaggerated the situation to stir up drama.
Please explain what you mean by the title of this thread. I read it as a warning not to use Cats & Dogs in Bowie because they killed your cat. :shrug:

Please explain what you mean by the title of this thread. I read it as a warning not to use Cats & Dogs in Bowie because they killed your cat. :shrug:

:yeahthat: I just re-read the title and original post and that was my understanding.

denisend

I said that the food choice didn't matter; we had to put him to sleep (issues not really related). I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm not really sure how to explain the title of the post any better... the title doesn't mention death. I don't have any problem with his death, I have a problem with how he was treated after surgery.

Denise

Cowgirl

I don't have any problem with his death, I have a problem with how he was treated after surgery.

Denise

I understood what you were saying. Even if you didn't have to put your cat down, you'd still be frustrated they didn't give him the food you sent with him.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I had a similar situation..well, regarding food after surgery. My dog was eating a special food. I was told that they didn't allow *most* "patients" to bring in food and explained the reasons why. They had a suitable substitute and everything was fine. I had to discuss it with the vet tech and the surgeon and everyone involved signed/initialed papers saying I understood everything involved in the surgery, what he would eat..everything..down to the "n-th" degree.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

denisend

A suitable substitute would have been fine, as long as it had been... suitable. We left with the understanding that he was going to eat the food that we provided, and had filled out on the intake form (some) of his allergies (including what he had been given) as well as some of the things he could eat.

His internal paperwork did have listed on it "food allergies", but since most cats aren't allergic to chicken (we were told several times that most cats are allergic to dairy and fish) they gave him chicken.

Cowgirl

A suitable substitute would have been fine, as long as it had been... suitable. We left with the understanding that he was going to eat the food that we provided, and had filled out on the intake form (some) of his allergies (including what he had been given) as well as some of the things he could eat.

His internal paperwork did have listed on it "food allergies", but since most cats aren't allergic to chicken (we were told several times that most cats are allergic to dairy and fish) they gave him chicken.

What food did they give him? Some hypoallergenic diets contain things that might normally be allergens (like chicken), but the proteins are SO broken down that the body does not recognize them as chicken, so they are truly hypoallergenic.