Any Other Goat Breeders Out There?

Nitrospeed16

How many people here have goats? Just trying to get a general gist of how many goat owners there are on SOMD.com...
Anybody have any bloodlines from Cherry Glen (Alpines...) or Waiilatpu (alpines as well)? Also, does anyone else here show at ADGA shows besides just the local fairs? Or have just pets/home dairy/dinner plate canidate goats??

slackwater514

I've got three goats - two pygmy crosses that weigh about 35-40lbs each with winter coats and one pygmy that's about 25-30lbs. They're all just pets - the two crosses are half-sibs and we got the male castrated, and the full pygmy had so many health issues as a baby that she's kinda deformed now, but living a happy and healthy life as a pain in my a**. So, sorry, I don't breed (although I may want to breed the female pygmy cross someday, just to experience raising the babies...unless someone else gives me another one to bottle-feed like my full pygmy), and I don't show, I just have misfits that are certain that they are never getting enough to eat and scream at me every time they see me to let me know...

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by spinner
I raise Nubian goats.

Spinner how much does a Nubian goat sell for these days.. Bout 22 years ago I bought a Nubian Nanny for milk and her kid buck for around $75 as best I can remember..

The only challenge I had was how to get my wife, two children, my goats and myself back home in a 1978 Ford Fiesta.. Believe me we got some strange looks the 30 miles I drove trying to get home with two goats behind the back seat.. The youngins had a ball.

Nitrospeed16

Originally posted by zuchick
Spinner how much does a Nubian goat sell for these days.. Bout 22 years ago I bought a Nubian Nanny for milk and her kid buck for around $75 as best I can remember..

The only challenge I had was how to get my wife, two children, my goats and myself back home in a 1978 Ford Fiesta.. Believe me we got some strange looks the 30 miles I drove trying to get home with two goats behind the back seat.. The youngins had a ball.

I know this question wasn't for me..but IMHO it really depends on the breeder. My friend who has nubians sells his usually for around $150 +. I gave mine away (I can't deal at all with the noise they make, they scream all the time, moreso when they come in heat.), and I've seen quite a few with papers that are really good go for about $75. Many ADGA national show quality ones run $500 +, ones with CH/GCH prefixes sell for $200 +. Some will sell for $500+ even if they've never been shown before in their life, or kidded, or have a prefix, and without a good pedigree (but with papers..) and lines to back up the price. (Though I've never seen any goat without papers sell for over $100.). Personally, I'd never pay that much for a nubian...but to each his own. Like I said, it really depends on who's selling them.

Nitrospeed16

Originally posted by appyday
Travtan (travis tan rabbitry) a memeber of our boards has goats..

Oh and Spinner makes the best goat cheese in MD. Remember me this yr Spinner :biggrin:

Not anymore I don't think.....:frown: but hopefully the buck I got from him this year will actually BREED one of my does. Grr.

Nitrospeed16

Originally posted by slackwater514
I've got three goats - two pygmy crosses that weigh about 35-40lbs each with winter coats and one pygmy that's about 25-30lbs. They're all just pets - the two crosses are half-sibs and we got the male castrated, and the full pygmy had so many health issues as a baby that she's kinda deformed now, but living a happy and healthy life as a pain in my a**. So, sorry, I don't breed (although I may want to breed the female pygmy cross someday, just to experience raising the babies...unless someone else gives me another one to bottle-feed like my full pygmy), and I don't show, I just have misfits that are certain that they are never getting enough to eat and scream at me every time they see me to let me know...
Pygmies are so adorable.........:biggrin: especially baby ones!!!

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Nitrospeed16
I know this question wasn't for me..but IMHO it really depends on the breeder. My friend who has nubians sells his usually for around $150 +.

I guess $150.00 ain't bad for a good milk goat. Abut all they have around here are the Pigmys.. Think they go for around $45-$50 each. I got about 2 acres of grass to cut in the summer and about 1 acre of scrub and would like to get some goats to take care of the scrub, but there is no leash laws here in Stokes County, NC and the dogs would have a field day with goats.. Except for the old nanny I had years ago.. She hated dogs and would run them until her tongue hung out if she could.. She used to get a kick, I think, running any unfortunate dog that managed to get past the electric fence and into her pen into the electric fence.

spinner

I sell my Nubian doe kids for $150 and up. I rarely sell adults when I do I usually end up taking them back. We bought two bucks at the ADGA convention last year and paid dearly for them- even though they were a good price. Some of the goats in the Spotlight sale go for thousands.
I like Nubian personalities, but then I also have a Jack Russell Terrier, yes they are loud but I make sure any buyers know that. I like lots of color and spots. We did have a couple of Alpines years ago, great breeding but they were so destructive they moved on to other homes.
Appyday, with everything this year I didn't make any cheese at all, but I will give you some next year. I do have some frozen that would be OK to cook with if you want some.

Z

zuchick

I sell my Nubian doe kids for $150 and up. I rarely sell adults when I do I usually end up taking them back. We bought two bucks at the ADGA convention last year and paid dearly for them- even though they were a good price. Some of the goats in the Spotlight sale go for thousands.
I like Nubian personalities, but then I also have a Jack Russell Terrier, yes they are loud but I make sure any buyers know that. I like lots of color and spots. We did have a couple of Alpines years ago, great breeding but they were so destructive they moved on to other homes.
Appyday, with everything this year I didn't make any cheese at all, but I will give you some next year. I do have some frozen that would be OK to cook with if you want some.

Spinner, you are with cheese like I am with wine.. I generally make about 5-6 gallons of a very light Concord Rose', but the weather this year was simply too damp. Had beautiful grapes up till the mid of Jund and then they just started droping off the vine. Hope next year is better.

Nitrospeed16

That's the best thing about the nubians, when I had mine they never ever messed up anything, or tried to escape, etc. They just spent all their time being noisy and rude, but to their credit, they never did anything particularly bad. My alpines on the other hand, destroy anything in their path. Not to mention they get out on the slightest whim. When I got a my honda civic last year, the first thing they did was leap the fence, and put 2 dozen scratch marks on my hood :burning:
I didn't go to convention last year..even though it was in maryland..really wanted to, but, oh well. How was it?

Z

zuchick

Originally posted by Nitrospeed16
That's the best thing about the nubians, when I had mine they never ever messed up anything, or tried to escape, etc. They just spent all their time being noisy and rude, but to their credit, they never did anything particularly bad. My alpines on the other hand, destroy anything in their path. Not to mention they get out on the slightest whim. When I got a my honda civic last year, the first thing they did was leap the fence, and put 2 dozen scratch marks on my hood :burning:
I didn't go to convention last year..even though it was in maryland..really wanted to, but, oh well. How was it?

I know they are very well behaved. The Nanny I had only acted up when there was a dog in her pen. She was very well behaved in the Milking Parlor and the trip to and from.. Never tried to get out and took the briars and other brush in her pen down to the ground, but never could get them to eat green grass. You know about not being able to make a Goats nose touch the ground? Well, I proved it right.

spinner

We only drove up to meet the seller, we didn't attend the convention. We did walk through the tent of animals for the Spotlight sale and we watched them walk them through the hotel. Funny story, we had the bucks in the back of my truck in a livestock rack with a cover. It was a little drizzly but not terribly cold. We stopped in Waldorf at Chilis for lunch and parked the truck where we could watch it. There was this guy kind of hanging around it but not bothering the goats so we were just keep an eye on him...after about 15 minutes [Chilis is slow] a police car pulls up to my truck and I see the cop and the guy talking and gesturing at my truck. I went charging out there in time to see the guy walk away and I asked the cop if there was a problem. He said the gentleman called the police because he was concerned the goats were cold. The policeman explained they are outside animals. I thought it was kind of nice the guy was that concerned. But it was funny.

TravisTans

Yup I still have a few Nubians; I had alot more until our a$$ hole neighbor complained about them. :cussing: ohhh do I HATE HIM!!!! You know who you are..LARRY oops did I just say his name, well move back to the city if you dont like animals get out of the country. Goats are great; we are looking for a bigger place so i'll be building my herd back up soon. I've got 2 Nubian bucks for sale if anyone is looking.

valentino

Nigerian Dwarf Goats

We have four Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and may be trying to breed sometime soon. We had tried once, but our girl did not "take", so we will have to try again. Maybe bringing the buck to our place would make her feel more comfortable...???

D

dems4me

valentino said:
We have four Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and may be trying to breed sometime soon. We had tried once, but our girl did not "take", so we will have to try again. Maybe bringing the buck to our place would make her feel more comfortable...???

I have three pygmy goats - all females... do you have a male pygmy?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Nitrospeed16 said:
Pygmies are so adorable.........:biggrin: especially baby ones!!!

I have a friend who raises pygmies, and she goes all over to get really well bred, show quality unusually colored ones, but she doesn't show them herself yet. She also has 3 or more gorgeous bucks she studs out. She has some agouti (sp?) chocolates...all sorts of colors. PM me for her email info if anyone is interested. :patriot:

valentino

dems4me said:
I have three pygmy goats - all females... do you have a male pygmy?

We have a male Nigerian Dwarf, but they are different, and he is fixed anyway. He is the brother of one of the females, I will see if I can post a picture on here, not sure how this site takes them? The darker one is Rueben and of course the lighter one is Rayna. They had to have "R" names for the registry, and Rueben worked out well since he is a big eater.

Attachments

• RaynaandRueben.jpg
    RaynaandRueben.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 155