A vet from the old school; Sincere and Low-Cost!!!

stoppingby

Finally found what I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard that the vets in this area are totally outrageous. I heard that for neutering they're charging $300 - $400. I hear some won't touch your dog unless you can show a credit card.

Dr. Brown, a vet that is like the one I had in another State that wasn't in it for the money. He's in it for the dogs!! (I think he's on vacation 'till the 29th.)

My two dogs have an appointment scheduled to go there. I don't care if it is going to be a long drive, well worth it.

My friend (I was unable to go) took our rescue dog to this vet and the costs for the following $106.00.

$5 Doxyclycline tablets
$25.Micro Chip
$29 Heartworm Exam + Occul
$16 Fecal Exam (Flotation)
$12 DHLPP
$12 Rabies
$7 Panacur

Dr. Brown
Calvert Animal Hospital
P.O. Box 70
Sunderland MD 20689

stoppingby

The person that took him has used him for a long time for many of their animals and since this was a rescue dog with a long, hard-to-catch story behind him, he might've dropped that office visit or she herself took care of it; she didn't elaborate on it and told me not to worry about it. But she said the visits are only about $35ish.

This is in Sunderland Maryland, not Florida. I had the exact directions but will have to search for the piece of paper that I wrote it down on.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
The person that took him has used him for a long time for many of their animals and since this was a rescue dog with a long, hard-to-catch story behind him, he might've dropped that office visit or she herself took care of it; she didn't elaborate on it and told me not to worry about it. But she said the visits are only about $35ish.

This is in Sunderland MD area. I had the exact directions but will have to search for the piece of paper that I wrote it down on.

He is known for helping rescues and giving them discounts as are many of the vets in the area. Their prices are different, though, if you are not associated with a rescue (or one that is affiliated with a particular vet).

stoppingby

The decision for the rescue to go there wasn't because he was a rescue. It was because my friend uses him and recommends him because she said that he is a down-to-earth type of guy. She said he'll tell you just how it is, not what you want to hear when there's issues with your pet. You either like him or you don't. I said, "That is my man!" That was the deciding factor on why this rescue dog went there - because of the Dr. - not because he discounts rescues. We (my friend and I) never even talked about him going there because of being a rescue dog or how the Dr. deals with rescues. That wasn't important. Never factored in. Only the credentials of the Dr. were considered. But yes, she did say that he's strong on animals being s/n'd.

Her dogs have been going to him for a long, long time anyway.

Dr. Brown is on vacation so we're neutering him elsewhere and spot is taking care of that since he's a rescue.
Southern Maryland Spay and Neuter, Inc.

stoppingby

My last vet was from Louisiana near Shreveport and then we used the LSU Teaching Hospital. That was while I was temporarily in Louisiana though. I came here to MD and almost fell over when I heard they charge $300 - $400 for s/n'd. Geez, no wonder there's an overpopulation of animals. Such a commercial rip-off!! The clinics that offer discounts are much-needed for sure!!

ewashkow

Dr. Brown, a vet that is like the one I had in another State that wasn't in it for the money. He's in it for the dogs!!

HA! I repeat-HA! I call BS!

Years ago, my mom's dog got bit by another dog who normally gets along well with him. Scout just wouldn't take the hint to back off and the other dog nipped at him and broke skin on his leg. Injury wasn't that bad until Scout started licking at it incessantly. The wound got bigger and she called Dr. Brown, who we had been using for years.

It was about 15 minutes until the office was to close when my mom called and explained the situation. We were told that since the office was about to close, they wouldn't see Scout that day. They then proceeded to tell us that their next available opening was over a week away. When asked what we could possibly do to prevent further injury in the mean time, they simply suggested to put a band aid on it and then hung up on us.

Does that sound like the actions of a vet that is in it for the animals? Not to me it doesn't.

After Dr. Brown's office hung up on us, mom proceeded to call Dunkirk. They too were about to close but when they heard the explanation of the injury, the receptionist went to check with someone to see if we could still come in. Good thing we did since Scout needed stitches.

So I ask, which sounds more like the actions of a vet who cares about the animal? Dr. Brown, who we had been using for years and proceeded to tell us that we could come in a week even though the injury was getting worse? Or Dunkirk, who we had never used before and said that we could come up right away?

Granted, I know there are people out there who have had different experiences than I have but based off of this incident, I will never refer anyone to Dr. Brown.

stoppingby

@ewashkow, that's not good to hear. I'm open any comments and glad you posted about the experience. Who was it that you guys spoke with on the phone, the receptionist or Dr. Brown himself?

Macluvr

HA! I repeat-HA! I call BS!

Years ago, my mom's dog got bit by another dog who normally gets along well with him. Scout just wouldn't take the hint to back off and the other dog nipped at him and broke skin on his leg. Injury wasn't that bad until Scout started licking at it incessantly. The wound got bigger and she called Dr. Brown, who we had been using for years.

It was about 15 minutes until the office was to close when my mom called and explained the situation. We were told that since the office was about to close, they wouldn't see Scout that day. They then proceeded to tell us that their next available opening was over a week away. When asked what we could possibly do to prevent further injury in the mean time, they simply suggested to put a band aid on it and then hung up on us.

Does that sound like the actions of a vet that is in it for the animals? Not to me it doesn't.

After Dr. Brown's office hung up on us, mom proceeded to call Dunkirk. They too were about to close but when they heard the explanation of the injury, the receptionist went to check with someone to see if we could still come in. Good thing we did since Scout needed stitches.

So I ask, which sounds more like the actions of a vet who cares about the animal? Dr. Brown, who we had been using for years and proceeded to tell us that we could come in a week even though the injury was getting worse? Or Dunkirk, who we had never used before and said that we could come up right away?

Granted, I know there are people out there who have had different experiences than I have but based off of this incident, I will never refer anyone to Dr. Brown.

I use St. Mary's Vet, they are in it for the animal. I speak first hand because I have had them go above and beyond several times in the past years. The last time was when Dr. Forrest came in on his day off at 6:30 in the morning to do surgery on my cat because he had swallowed a needle! I had called him at home in a panic, and it was late, the night before and he told me what to do and he would see me first thing in the morning at the hospital. I am so grateful for them and I don't care what it costs, I will always remain loyal!

stoppingby

All the names of all these places were new to me but I've heard good things about St. Mary's. Now that's the type of vet one would want, like Dr. Forrest. Not all vets would take a call at home (instead referring to 24-hour clinic) and coming in on a day off is so great of him to do that!!

It does take time to find a good vet and I don't mind driving a long way to one either. Word of mouth travels fast, eh?

Last edited:

red_explorer

Tidewater

All the names of all these places were new to me but I've heard good things about St. Mary's. Now that's the type of vet one would want, like Dr. Forrest. Not all vets would take a call at home (instead referring to 24-hour clinic) and coming in on a day off is so great of him to do that!!

It does take time to find a good vet and I don't mind driving a long way to one either. Word of mouth travels fast, eh?

Tidewater, last time I was there, was $140 I believe....nowhere near $300 to $400.