Furniture Stores

jenwrenfer

Hello all,

I am in the market for furniture (bedroom set, etc.), and have had no luck finding a furniture store with a good reputation. Every time I search for reviews they are all horrible (Haverty's, Regency, JCP, Marlo, Room Store, etc). Bad experiences with customer service, delivery times, shoddy products, the list goes on.

Can anyone recommend a furniture store they have had a good experience with? I heard Thompson's closed, and I see the store in Prince Frederick re-opened but I have no idea who is represented there now.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

lisa8439

Hello all,

I am in the market for furniture (bedroom set, etc.), and have had no luck finding a furniture store with a good reputation. Every time I search for reviews they are all horrible (Haverty's, Regency, JCP, Marlo, Room Store, etc). Bad experiences with customer service, delivery times, shoddy products, the list goes on.

Can anyone recommend a furniture store they have had a good experience with? I heard Thompson's closed, and I see the store in Prince Frederick re-opened but I have no idea who is represented there now.

I don't think Thompson's is closed... at least they weren't yesterday when I drove by there. :lol: I wouldn't recommend them though - we bought from them a couple of years ago and were pleased, but we recently bought a room set from them and OH man... worst buying experience of my life! We found a set we liked and were able to get a good price... nothing 'too good to be true' but a very fair price. Sales guy was very friendly - told us it would be here in approx. 3 weeks (it had to be ordered). After 3 weeks came and went, the problems started. The manager that deals with ordering was just horrid - we were lied to about when the stuff was coming in several times. He kept saying there was no way to track the stuff (how about call the warehouse and check on it?? Nope, too much work for him I guess...) and then a few hours later he would call back and say it was scheduled to be there the next week. Not. After 2 months of lies, we just asked for a refund - had to fight tooth and nail to get that, then the check bounced.
:otter:
We did finally get our money back, but we wasted almost 3 months dealing with them - not to mention the amount of $$ we had tied up in the deal. I don't know if the guy who orders the stuff just goofed then didn't want to own up to it, or what - but I will never set foot in there again.

We actually ended up getting our set from the Room Store - decent price (including delivery) and we are happy with it. Mind you, we weren't looking for high-end furniture with kids... we just wanted a set that would look nice and hold us over until the kids are older and we could get something nicer. Our kids aren't rough (and the furniture has held up great) but the wear and tear of toys 'running' into the table, nightly dinners, etc. made it hard for me to justify paying an arm and a leg for a really nice wood set.

Friends of ours bought some furniture from some place in NC - then rented a uhaul truck one day and picked it up. They paid $$$ for it (their youngest is a junior in college) and I remember it took a good 6 weeks to come in - but they love it, and the set is gorgeous and well made with some intricate wood work... well worth what they paid for it, it's the kind of furniture that you plan on passing down someday.

Good luck - and if you find a decent local place, please post it - I'd love to know too! :popcorn:

I have a house full of furniture from Raley's. I have friends who have furniture from Raley's. I have never had a problem with Raley's of any kind (sales, service, delivery, quality).

I'm sure price can be debated and opinion's otherwise shared concerning any deals to be had. Old adage that applies here is any deal where both parties are satisfied is a good deal.

I recommend you consider Raley's.

rolltide

Shop Around

We bought a bed several years ago from Raley's and were very pleased with the experience. We loved the dining set we got from RoomStore -- very good prices, but you have to look around. Some of their stuff is cheaply made. It's worth the time to really look around, though. The set we bought was being used by the salespeople as a desk, but they quickly moved their things when we showed interest.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I don't think Thompson's is closed... at least they weren't yesterday when I drove by there. :lol: I wouldn't recommend them though - we bought from them a couple of years ago and were pleased, but we recently bought a room set from them and OH man... worst buying experience of my life! We found a set we liked and were able to get a good price... nothing 'too good to be true' but a very fair price. Sales guy was very friendly - told us it would be here in approx. 3 weeks (it had to be ordered). After 3 weeks came and went, the problems started. The manager that deals with ordering was just horrid - we were lied to about when the stuff was coming in several times. He kept saying there was no way to track the stuff (how about call the warehouse and check on it?? Nope, too much work for him I guess...) and then a few hours later he would call back and say it was scheduled to be there the next week. Not. After 2 months of lies, we just asked for a refund - had to fight tooth and nail to get that, then the check bounced.
:otter:
We did finally get our money back, but we wasted almost 3 months dealing with them - not to mention the amount of $$ we had tied up in the deal. I don't know if the guy who orders the stuff just goofed then didn't want to own up to it, or what - but I will never set foot in there again.

We actually ended up getting our set from the Room Store - decent price (including delivery) and we are happy with it. Mind you, we weren't looking for high-end furniture with kids... we just wanted a set that would look nice and hold us over until the kids are older and we could get something nicer. Our kids aren't rough (and the furniture has held up great) but the wear and tear of toys 'running' into the table, nightly dinners, etc. made it hard for me to justify paying an arm and a leg for a really nice wood set.

Friends of ours bought some furniture from some place in NC - then rented a uhaul truck one day and picked it up. They paid $$$ for it (their youngest is a junior in college) and I remember it took a good 6 weeks to come in - but they love it, and the set is gorgeous and well made with some intricate wood work... well worth what they paid for it, it's the kind of furniture that you plan on passing down someday.

Good luck - and if you find a decent local place, please post it - I'd love to know too! :popcorn:

Did you contact the BBB? That ordeal would make me call.

Hello all,

We had a great experience working with Regency actually. We also purchased some things from Value City...a really nice armoire actually. Have you tried there?

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
We had a great experience working with Regency actually. We also purchased some things from Value City...a really nice armoire actually. Have you tried there?

Value City sells crap. Bought a loving room set from there a number of years ago and a year later the wood structure supporting it started coming apart, the cushions developed this weird sag that I could not seem to get fluffed out. Don't care for it.

I did get a bedroom set from Marlo once and although it seems they brought it to Md from Mexico via Donkey convoy I still have some pieces and they have faired well.

Value City sells crap. Bought a loving room set from there a number of years ago and a year later the wood structure supporting it started coming apart, the cushions developed this weird sag that I could not seem to get fluffed out. Don't care for it.

That stinks about your living room set but based on my armoire I'm gonna have to say not all of what they sell is crap :yay:

clockaleanie

We've bought stuff from RoomStore, Thompsons and JCP. No complaints about any of them, except JCP shipping is HIGH! We bought a bedroom set from Thompsons . I think we paid around $1400, but can't be sure (it was 5 years ago!), but the stuff is really nice and was delivered quickly. The local choice is restricted, but it's nice to try and support local businesses.

titotonto

Just shopped most of the stores in the area and whoever says this store or that store is crap is probably full of crap himself/herself. I found that all of the stores I visited (Value City, Roomstore, Raley's, Macy's Home) had their low end and high end merchandise.

I ended up going with Value City. I figured out that I was going to spend the same amount no matter where I went, give or take a few bucks. I did pay more for the non-staple job stuff but I think it will be worth it in the long run.