Any Interest in Fertile Eggs, Chicks, or Pullets?

I've been trying to build my "flock" from local resources, but had a very difficult time finding eggs/chicks/hens from any reputable sources. So...I've gone the "mail order" route and will be establishing a flock of NHRs, RIRs, BRs, JGs, cochins & orpingtons.

For the most part, eggs resulting from the free-range flock are likely to be standard-sized mixed-breed (but all breeds are prolific brown egg-layers). I am building a coop so that I will have the ability to selectively breed a rooster with one or more hens.

So, my question is - is there any local interest in buying fertile eggs for hatching (great fun to do this with kids!), young chicks, or near-adult chickens? Either mixed-breed or full-breed? Or am I destined to be eating a lot of chicken?

I would have preferred to buy locally, if I could have found what I was looking for (not big on breeding bantams, wanted mainly large, multi-purpose breeds). Does anyone out there feel the same way?

Cowgirl

I would like to expand my layer flock, but I can't find reasonably priced pullets or hens around (I live on the Shore). A lady in Annapolis was selling buff orpington pullets for $15 each. I understand that many people will pay that much for "pet" chickens, but I'm looking to sell eggs, and I'm definitely not going to make much money if I'm paying $15 per bird. I'm just trying to make enough to cover feed costs. I ended up hatching out some of my own "mutt" eggs on Thanksgiving, so I'll have 5 new layers in April.

I may be interested in buying juvenile birds though, if they were reasonably priced. I was thinking about buying more chicks this spring, but I hate waiting 20 weeks for them to lay.

What would you consider to be a good price for juveniles? And would you be interested in "mutts" as layers? Or would you be looking for specific pure-breeds? I'm trying to judge the market :)

Cowgirl

What would you consider to be a good price for juveniles? And would you be interested in "mutts" as layers? Or would you be looking for specific pure-breeds? I'm trying to judge the market :)

Well, if you were going to try to sell them, I'd definitely try to do individual breeds and not just mutts. I'd take a mutt, but most people would probably prefer purebreds. I'm not a good one to use for pricing, because I'm cheap. :lol: You could probably easily get $10 per bird. I'd probably pay that for a young hen/started pullet if it was purebred. If they were just mutts, I'd say $7 maybe. You could probably get $2 for each day old chick though.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
I've got a pair of 8 week old Dominiques I'm selling and also have some buff orpington week old chicks. In my incubator I'm brewing Salmon Favs (those are nices as they can be sexed immediately), Seramas and Delawares. I have an ad on Craigslist. I'm not sure if I'd have to pay for an ad here on Somd as the rules are a little vague. I've gotten started on doing some purebred chickes other than the usual barnyard mixes and hatchery ones.

I've got a pair of 8 week old Dominiques I'm selling and also have some buff orpington week old chicks. In my incubator I'm brewing Salmon Favs (those are nices as they can be sexed immediately), Seramas and Delawares. I have an ad on Craigslist. I'm not sure if I'd have to pay for an ad here on Somd as the rules are a little vague. I've gotten started on doing some purebred chickes other than the usual barnyard mixes and hatchery ones.

Aha! I'll hit you up when I'm looking for more orpingtons. :) I know that RIRs and NHRs are fairly "normal" breeds, but I'm hoping that barred rocks, orpingtons, cochins and Jersey giants aren't common around here.

Are you having any luck with Craigslist? How much are you asking for your Dominiques?

jedi2814

I would like to expand my layer flock, but I can't find reasonably priced pullets or hens around (I live on the Shore). A lady in Annapolis was selling buff orpington pullets for $15 each. I understand that many people will pay that much for "pet" chickens, but I'm looking to sell eggs, and I'm definitely not going to make much money if I'm paying $15 per bird. I'm just trying to make enough to cover feed costs. I ended up hatching out some of my own "mutt" eggs on Thanksgiving, so I'll have 5 new layers in April.

I may be interested in buying juvenile birds though, if they were reasonably priced. I was thinking about buying more chicks this spring, but I hate waiting 20 weeks for them to lay.

Problem is for the person selling started pullets to do it right and keep them healthy without drugs or other undesirable additives it costs about $8 a bird to raise from day old chicks. $15 is a little high, but you aren't going to find them less than $12.

We have 50 layers now we raised from day old chicks - we will breakeven after about 3 months of selling eggs. We plan to sell some started pullets the next time we brood to help offset the cost of brooding the lot, but if we were to sell them at any less then $12-14 we would lose money.

Cowgirl

Problem is for the person selling started pullets to do it right and keep them healthy without drugs or other undesirable additives it costs about $8 a bird to raise from day old chicks. $15 is a little high, but you aren't going to find them less than $12.

We have 50 layers now we raised from day old chicks - we will breakeven after about 3 months of selling eggs. We plan to sell some started pullets the next time we brood to help offset the cost of brooding the lot, but if we were to sell them at any less then $12-14 we would lose money.

I found some for $5 per bird a while ago. Nice ones. I got 4 but didn't get the rest. :ohwell: Hindsight is 20/20.

I wouldn't really be in it for the money - though I don't really want to LOSE any, I'm doing it more for fun than anything else :) So I'd probably go for $8-$10/pullet. And $1-$2/chick. I just like having chickens and and hatching eggs. But, will probably have more eggs than I know what to do with...so some soup kitchens are probably going to get a lot of donated eggs :)

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Aha! I'll hit you up when I'm looking for more orpingtons. :) I know that RIRs and NHRs are fairly "normal" breeds, but I'm hoping that barred rocks, orpingtons, cochins and Jersey giants aren't common around here.

Are you having any luck with Craigslist? How much are you asking for your Dominiques?
I'm asking $25 for the pair, and I've had some interest in future chicks from the craigslist ad. There is alot of info on backyardchicken.com with the chicken forum and I might post something there too.

SoMDGirl42

Can someone please answer questions for me?

First, I've never lived on a farm. The only interaction I've had with chicks/chickens is visiting a family farm and the County Fair.

How hard is it to hatch a chick or two? I was just thinking about doing a little project with my little one. I don't want to keep the chicks, and I don't have room for them. I just want her to experience them hatching. Is this unreasonable?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well, if you were going to try to sell them, I'd definitely try to do individual breeds and not just mutts. I'd take a mutt, but most people would probably prefer purebreds. I'm not a good one to use for pricing, because I'm cheap. :lol: You could probably easily get $10 per bird. I'd probably pay that for a young hen/started pullet if it was purebred. If they were just mutts, I'd say $7 maybe. You could probably get $2 for each day old chick though.

By mail one day old chicks are usually $4 - 6 each, and you have to buy 20 or more to get away from paying for a small order fee.. add more if you want only hens..

Fertile eggs are usually about $2 - 3 each.. plus shipping, and of course, no guarantee of sex, or if they'll hatch

You figure in feed costs, shelter and care for a 15 week old hen, $12-15 isn't too much.. and no headaches for you, and instant eggs.

I have 12 laying hens now (I have 2 each of six different breeds), 9 mixes at around 4.5 weeks, and a bunch of Araucana chickes with one rooster less than a week old.

As my Araucanas get to the age of laying I'll probably be looking at adopting out the mixes. I really want to stick with a single breed, and we REALLY like the Araucanas..

So in the end, if anyone is interested 15 weeks from today, we may have some mixed bag of chickens available. All of these were given to us in one form or another, so I wouldn't be asking for money for any of them, I don't think that would be fair.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
NO.

:)

I still breed. I see that you're hatching - having fun?

hatching didn't go well for us.

I got 22 fertile eggs, of which 16 made it to hatching day.. of those 16 we got 9 chicks..

We also mail ordered 12 Khaki Campbell eggs, all of which were fertile, about 9 made it to hatching day, of which we got 2 ducklings..

I'd love to do it again, but I would definitely do it differently.

need to find a place that rents out high(er) end incubators.. you know, kind of like put them in and forget about them.. BUT we mail ordered 15 Araucana chicks, all of which survived the shipping and all of which are still alive and very lively and vocal.

With the shipping costs the duck eggs came out to a little over $4 apiece.. the chicks $5.. BUT if you look at the "What actually survived" the duck prices shoot up to over $25 a piece..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Can someone please answer questions for me?

First, I've never lived on a farm. The only interaction I've had with chicks/chickens is visiting a family farm and the County Fair.

How hard is it to hatch a chick or two? I was just thinking about doing a little project with my little one. I don't want to keep the chicks, and I don't have room for them. I just want her to experience them hatching. Is this unreasonable?

Shehas to be ready for the reality of chicks not hatching, and/or not making it past the first day or two.

I was surprised how well Bubba did with it.. and how he LOVES "HIS" eggs.. he loves to go out to the coop, get two or three eggs and then scramble them up and eat them..

SoMDGirl42

Shehas to be ready for the reality of chicks not hatching, and/or not making it past the first day or two.

I was surprised how well Bubba did with it.. and how he LOVES "HIS" eggs.. he loves to go out to the coop, get two or three eggs and then scramble them up and eat them..

our youngest are almost the same exact age. Mine I believe is a week or two older.

That part I think she could handle. But it sounds like our chances of just getting a couple of eggs to watch and actually having one or two hatch are not good odds.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
our youngest are almost the same exact age. Mine I believe is a week or two older.

That part I think she could handle. But it sounds like our chances of just getting a couple of eggs to watch and actually having one or two hatch are not good odds.

I think my issue was more me.. than the eggs. Sometimes I'm like a little kid and can't leave well enough alone.

If you are interested in doing less than (I think ) 6 eggs, BRINSEA sells a small classroom/ hobby incubator.

It even rotates the eggs for you, comes with directions. etc..

http://www.brinsea.com/products/mini.html

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

I think my issue was more me.. than the eggs. Sometimes I'm like a little kid and can't leave well enough alone.

If you are interested in doing less than (I think ) 6 eggs, BRINSEA sells a small classroom/ hobby incubator.

It even rotates the eggs for you, comes with directions. etc..

Brinsea® Mini Incubators

Thanks!

Her classroom last year did the butterflies. They ordered the catapillars and then watched them through the progression until they turned to butterflies. She loved it.