tax garnishment

A friend asked me about this and I really have no knowledge about it so I'm not even sure how to ask the question logically. He's not one to pay much attention to his money, bills, retirement, etc. He makes good money but does all the wrong things with it like buying hunting equipment and old motors instead of a car and a home. He's just plain downright wreckless with money. Well, he had a car that didn't run, let it sit on the side of the road, didn't pay insurance and never turned the tags in. The MVA sent him letters and the fines started accumulating like $100/day. It got up to like $4,000. He said a 'deputy' at the MVA got the cost reduced like $2,500 (I don't know any details about that). The fines kept accumulating. Now he wants to get his life together, get serious and on track with money and start living a better life. So here's the thing. Last year he said his taxes were garnished (about $2,000 worth). He says he doesn't know by whom (just tosses mail in the trash, etc.). It could have been the MVA, or totally something else. He's asking for my help. Is there anything I can personally do to find out, and where should I start? I know it's not my problem but part of the reason he hasn't taken charge of his affairs before is that he has no idea of where to start and gets too frustrated. Suggestions/thoughts? Also, exactly who is allowed to garnish your pay or taxes anyway (besides for child support).

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
A friend asked me about this and I really have no knowledge about it so I'm not even sure how to ask the question logically. He's not one to pay much attention to his money, bills, retirement, etc. He makes good money but does all the wrong things with it like buying hunting equipment and old motors instead of a car and a home. He's just plain downright wreckless with money. Well, he had a car that didn't run, let it sit on the side of the road, didn't pay insurance and never turned the tags in. The MVA sent him letters and the fines started accumulating like $100/day. It got up to like $4,000. He said a 'deputy' at the MVA got the cost reduced like $2,500 (I don't know any details about that). The fines kept accumulating. Now he wants to get his life together, get serious and on track with money and start living a better life. So here's the thing. Last year he said his taxes were garnished (about $2,000 worth). He says he doesn't know by whom (just tosses mail in the trash, etc.). It could have been the MVA, or totally something else. He's asking for my help. Is there anything I can personally do to find out, and where should I start? I know it's not my problem but part of the reason he hasn't taken charge of his affairs before is that he has no idea of where to start and gets too frustrated. Suggestions/thoughts? Also, exactly who is allowed to garnish your pay or taxes anyway (besides for child support).
You can't do anything.

Ummmmm.....any half smart person would ask their employer. Sounds like you have a real prize there.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
He can only have his state taxes taken for a MVA fine. The state can not touch his federal return. He can also go to the MVA office in Bowie and deal with the central collections unit. If he did this previously and they set up payments for him and he did not make them then he is out of luck. He can't tag or title any car until it is paid in full. If he has not been to Bowie then he needs to go and take a substantial down payment, I think it is around 20- 25 precent and maybe they will work with him.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Tell your friend that he's having these problems because he's been stupid and stupid is supposed to hurt

diggin' a hole here boss.....

takin' the shirt off boss......

takin' a drink of water boss.......

He can only have his state taxes taken for a MVA fine. The state can not touch his federal return. He can also go to the MVA office in Bowie and deal with the central collections unit. If he did this previously and they set up payments for him and he did not make them then he is out of luck. He can't tag or title any car until it is paid in full. If he has not been to Bowie then he needs to go and take a substantial down payment, I think it is around 20- 25 precent and maybe they will work with him.

That's a help. Thanks.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
But it wasn't through his employer.

Are you saying the state or federal government withheld part of his tax refund or are you saying his wages have been garnished to pay taxes?

He needs to ask whoever is taking the money why they're taking it.

He also needs to act like an adult

Vince

diggin' a hole here boss.....
takin' the shirt off boss......
takin' a drink of water boss.......

What we have here.....is failure to communicate.

This guy needs to grow up and learn some simple money management or he is going to run into a lot more trouble than a couple thousand dollars worth.