Shuffle off to Buffalo...your unwanted fruitcake, that is...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Competitive eaters will sink their teeth into America's unwanted fruitcakes in a contest that blurs the line between public service and public spectacle.

Buffalo and the International Federation of Competitive Eating on Tuesday announced their two-part answer to the question of what to do with the persistent holiday fare: Round them up and eat them.

Fruitcake recipients are being urged to mail all unopened fruitcakes, "no questions asked," to Buffalo, where Mayor Anthony Masiello has offered amnesty. On Dec. 30, the world's top competitive eaters will arrive to consume as many of them as they can in a 12-minute span.

"I have speculated, based on absolutely no data whatsoever, that we will receive 100,000," said George Shea of the competitive eating federation. "I believe there are 100,000 neglected fruitcakes in the U.S.A."

Drew Cerza, a Buffalo events promoter, said the idea is to get people to give not only fruitcakes but also more palatable fare in danger of going to waste to the Food Bank of Western New York.

"Fruitcake is one of many unwanted foods that people have in their cupboards," Cerza said. "It's really a creative way to give the food bank a boost in the arm."

Fruitcake isn't all bad, Cerza said, noting its high-protein, high-fibre nutritional qualities. And he pointed out its usefulness in holding down the pool cover over the winter and in providing a makeshift step for step-aerobics.

Shea said the federation's Sonya Thomas and Eric Booker, ranked No. 3 and 4 in the world, respectively, will be among those downing fruitcake in a contest the organizers say will allow fruitcake recipients to begin 2004 unencumbered by fruitcakes past.

There currently is no officially recognized fruitcake-eating record. Shea predicted the eaters will stomach three-plus kilograms or more each.

Fruitcakes should be mailed to: Fruitcake Amnesty Campaign, Food Bank of Western New York, 91 Holt St., Buffalo, NY 14206

CityGrl

Time for a nap
My grandmother used to make fruitcakes that were to die for (in a good way).

YUMMY fruitcake!