Harmful Handbags

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Ladies, the lead is in the bag...and the wallet, and many other accessories made of vinyl, pvc, and something else. When tested, even the bag that had a tag saying "no lead", had unsafe amounts of lead that can be transfered from your hands.

Made in China?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
It's so hard to find ANYTHING not made in china. this outsourcing is not only killing our economy - it's killing us too. Even my Brighton leather purse is made in china - just checked.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It's so hard to find ANYTHING not made in china. this outsourcing is not only killing our economy - it's killing us too. Even my Brighton leather purse is made in china - just checked.

That sux, but it's leather and should be safe.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do not think that just coming into contact with lead will harm you, unless you are shot with it. Remember those PSAs when we were kids, the little urchin kid peeling the lead paint off the walls and eating it?

I think you'd have to eat your purse or wallet in order for it to hurt you. And anyone who eats their purse or wallet probably deserves to die.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I do not think that just coming into contact with lead will harm you, unless you are shot with it. Remember those PSAs when we were kids, the little urchin kid peeling the lead paint off the walls and eating it?

I think you'd have to eat your purse or wallet in order for it to hurt you. And anyone who eats their purse or wallet probably deserves to die.

Oh, this from the person who TAUGHT the children, specifically, when they asked "Can you it eat?" you would always say...

:tap:

:lol:

Macluvr

All of my purses and wallets are made in Germany. I have Etienne Aigner, will not buy anything else. :yay:

In all seriousness, I've always suspected America's increased reliance on poorly regulated imports is directly related to the increase in mental issues ever increasing in numbers with each new generation. This includes ADHD, Bi-polarism, autism, etc.

Health effects – there is no safe level

Though lead is found frequently in our environment, it has no known purpose in our bodies. When lead gets inside the body, the body confuses it with calcium and other essential nutrients. This confusion can cause permanent damage to the health of both children and adults.

Children

"Lead is a developmental toxicant" and the "harmful effects of lead on children's development can occur without signs or symptoms."

In children, lead is most damaging when they are six years and younger. Children are growing at a very fast rate – growing bones, developing stronger muscles and creating many connections in their brain. When lead instead of essential nutrients is "available" to the body to make bones, muscle, and brain connections, permanent harm to health can occur. Even at low levels, lead can be harmful and be associated with:

•Learning disabilities resulting in a decreased intelligence (decreased IQ)
•Attention deficit disorder
•Behavior issues
•Nervous system damage
•Speech and language impairment
•Decreased muscle growth
•Decreased bone growth
•Kidney damage
High levels of lead are life threatening and can cause seizures, unconsciousness, and death.

Adults

Lead exposure is a concern for adults, even though they have finished growing. Since an adult's body is much larger than a child's body, more lead is needed to cause injury but the harm lead can do to an adult is very serious. High levels of lead can cause:

•Increased chance of illness during pregnancy
•Harm to a fetus, including brain damage or death
•Fertility problems in both men and women
•High blood pressure
•Digestive issues
•Nerve disorders
•Memory and concentration problems
•Muscle and joint pain

Lead and its human effects

TrueSOMDGirl

resident Spring Bunny
All of my purses and wallets are made in Germany. I have Etienne Aigner, will not buy anything else. :yay:

Burberry only here but still, I can imagine all the teens buying these. Even if it is not harmful by touch how they have a tag that says lead free then have lead?

Macluvr

I don't care for many of their purses but they make the MOST comfortable dress shoes in the whole world.

I have always bought their purses and wallets because you can't beat the quality. I've got purses that are 15 yrs. old but still look new, and all I have to do is shine them up with shoe polish and they are as good as new. That's why I will never buy anything else. I have 1 pair of sandals that they make and I like them, but have never been crazy about any of their styles. I guess to each their own. :lol:

I have always bought their purses and wallets because you can't beat the quality. I've got purses that are 15 yrs. old but still look new, and all I have to do is shine them up with shoe polish and they are as good as new. That's why I will never buy anything else. I have 1 pair of sandals that they make and I like them, but have never been crazy about any of their styles. I guess to each their own. :lol:
Well, Chasey's pleather bag polishes up like new with a squirt of Pledge...:shrug:

C

czygvtwkr

I always thought you were a guy, sorry.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

When you never leave your basement, they will last forever :yay: