Panel backs over-the-counter 'morning-after' pill

K

Kain99

(CNN) -- Advisers to the Food and Drug Administration voted Tuesday to recommend emergency contraception -- or the "morning-after" pill -- be available over-the-counter.

The FDA generally follows the recommendations of its advisory committees but it is not known when the agency will act on the recommendation.

The makers of Plan B contraception say that when it is taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, it can reduce the risk of pregnancy by about 89 percent.

Plan B, made by Women's Capital Corp., has been available since 1998, but only with a doctor's prescription.

"Putting safe, effective back-up birth control on the drug store shelves next to condoms will give many more women a second chance to prevent pregnancy," said Kirsten Moore, head of the Reproductive Health Technologies Project, a group backing no-prescription emergency contraception.

Supporters also say making Plan B over-the-counter would give women easier access to emergency contraceptives on weekends and nights, when doctor's offices are closed, reducing the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions in the United States.

Those against making Plan B -- or any other emergency contraception -- available without a prescription argue some women will substitute emergency contraception for regular birth control and point to potential health concerns.

Plan B contains a high dose of a hormone found in traditional birth control pills which can cause blood clots in certain people.

Have all the sex you want with no worries! :frown:

K

Kizzy

"Putting safe, effective back-up birth control on the drug store shelves next to condoms will give many more women a second chance to prevent pregnancy," said Kirsten Moore, head of the Reproductive Health Technologies Project, a group backing no-prescription emergency contraception.

A second chance. :yikes:

Sure accidents happen, but when the pill is 99% effective, you have to wonder how all these get pregnant taking it. Why not promote the fricken condoms?

The problem I see is when young girls can run into the Wal Mart and buy themselves a pill instead of learning self-control.

I’ve been watching the news on and off over this topic and they sure pick some winners to give their opinion on the subject.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Wasn't there just a big news story about a girl that died after complications from this drug? If it was a toy, there would be a huge outcry over this, but since its an abortion its a rights issue. :mad:

Just another milestone in the downward spiral of our nation.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The article I read on this subject said that 5 states have a law allowing "behind the counter" sales. Meaning you could get it without a prescription, but only from the pharmacist. One of the things they are considering is allowing that nationwide. It would keep people from taking it when it wouldn't do any good or taking too much. That would also allow for a rule against selling to minors w/o a prescription.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I'm all for it. I don't think it's going to teach girls to have less self control. I think people today already lack far ehough in that arena that they can't get much worse. And while condoms should be used we all know that they're not as much as they need be. Unprotected sex is going to happen. This isn't a new thing. If this will prevent unwanted pregnancies and keep girls out of the abortion clinics and unwanted babies out of dumpsters and the system then I'm all for it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by tlatchaw
Wasn't there just a big news story about a girl that died after complications from this drug? If it was a toy, there would be a huge outcry over this, but since its an abortion its a rights issue. :mad:

Just another milestone in the downward spiral of our nation.

I'm pretty sure that was the "abortion" pill not the "morning after" pill. Two totally different things.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Pixie - :clap:

I could not agree more. If I were a parent, I would rather see my teenage daughter taking that pill than walking into an abortion clinic. Granted, I don't want her having sex either or getting pregnant, but I am not stupid to know that it happens. In the even it does happen I think its much safer than repeat abortions. I think it will help people from having babies and getting on welfare as well as less abortions will be performed. I do think there should be some way of regulating it though. It can't be good for you if people take it on a regular basis and some people will unfortunately.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by IM4Change
I’ve been watching the news on and off over this topic and they sure pick some winners to give their opinion on the subject.

Which is why we should promote selective breeding.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I'm all for it. I don't think it's going to teach girls to have less self control. I think people today already lack far ehough in that arena that they can't get much worse. And while condoms should be used we all know that they're not as much as they need be. Unprotected sex is going to happen. This isn't a new thing. If this will prevent unwanted pregnancies and keep girls out of the abortion clinics and unwanted babies out of dumpsters and the system then I'm all for it.

Why do you assume it's the girls who need more self-control? I believe it's the guys who need it. There are too many guys who pressue their girlfriends into making their relationships sexual. And the girls, for whatever reason, believe the guys won't love them otherwise.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Tonio
Why do you assume it's the girls who need more self-control? I believe it's the guys who need it. There are too many guys who pressue their girlfriends into making their relationships sexual. And the girls, for whatever reason, believe the guys won't love them otherwise.

Ok maybe self control is not the right word. Self esteem better? They should or at least need to be able to say no. But that's not the issue; maybe the root of the problem but not the issue at hand. Right or wrong sex is going to happen. If the morning after pill reduces the number of unwanted pregnancies or abortions then I support it.