Any Gun Guys Want to Toss The BS Flag on This One?

B

Bruzilla

Shotgun accidentally discharges at airport

The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Authorities say a man was detained at an airport after a rifle he had checked as luggage accidentally discharged on the tarmac. Mindy Hamlin, spokeswoman for the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, said a man scheduled to fly to Chicago on American Airlines on Tuesday morning packed away the rifle in a case. She said he had filled out all of the necessary paperwork declaring the rifle as secure and not loaded. But one bullet remained in the gun as it sat on a luggage cart on the tarmac, she said.

"It hadn't been loaded in the plane," Hamlin said. "It fell over and the bullet accidentally discharged and struck a bag next to it. Fortunately, no one was injured.

I'll toss the BS flag. There's no way a shotgun (or rifle) in a padded travel case is going to go off by tipping over. My bet is some baggage handler tried to snag it and accidentally fired it.

Total :bs:. There is no way in hades that an unloaded firearm in a padded, airline approved case is going to go off. Plus, unless I remember incorrectly, you are not allowed to transport firearms & ammunition in the same container. They must be packaged seperately. Something don't smell right here.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm not gun-savvy enough to know whether that sounds plausible, but it reminds me of an episode from Happy Days' declining years, when an old rifle fell off the wall and shot Fonzie in the tuchis.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't know gents...

...lotta crazy stuff happens with guns.

Suppossedly, there is not a Cop shop locker room in the world without holes in the ceiling.

People get careless. They were SURE they'd unloaded it.

Shotgun or rifle? It says both. I've seen some HAIR triggers on a few 30-06's (sub 4 pounds) but shotguns are, in my experience 6 pounds plus and that shouldn't release just from tipping over.

We've all heard stories of people shooting themselves when CLEANING their guns.

I don't find it hard to believe.

Bet he doesn't get his paperwork approved now.

J

justhangn

Isn't the person who checks in the rifle/gun supposed to be responsible for checking to be sure the rifle/gun is unloaded??

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: I don't know gents...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
Suppossedly, there is not a Cop shop locker room in the world without holes in the ceiling.

I remember a St. Mary's sheriff's deputy named Gude. Would that be you?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by justhangn
Isn't the person who checks in the rifle/gun supposed to be responsible for checking to be sure the rifle/gun is unloaded??

He looked down the gun and didn't see anything...

Bonehead

Yeah sounds like BS to me. Some crazy things do happen with firearms. How about the undercover cop that had a cocked and locked Colt .45 (safety on he thought) had to hit the bathroom and when he dropped his trousers he took the .45 out of his waistband and placed it on the coat hanger in the stall a little too hard and it completely emptied the weapon all 8 rounds into the ceiling and floor and walls of the stall. I bet that was fun !:boo: Moral of the story the more familiar you are with firearms the greater likelyhood that you will experience an "accidental discharge"

SurfaceTension

I'm with Larry...

Certainly within the realm off possibility, leaving a cartridge/shell in the chamber, with safety off, and some other object packed in the trigger guard.
Note that the author can't even get the basic facts straight (shotgun or rifle) so there's no telling what other information is missing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: I'm with Larry...

Originally posted by SurfaceTension
Note that the author can't even get the basic facts straight (shotgun or rifle) so there's no telling what other information is missing.
Maybe it was a Savage .22/20 over-under shotgun rifle?