DirecTV TiVo going belly up

SamSpade

As far as I can tell, my original TiVo for a DirecTV system is failing. It's getting poor reception on channels the other TiVos in the house gets just fine. So the very last test I can make is to outright swap them with one another, but my gut feeling is - it's on its last legs.

For those of you who have experienced the difference between TiVo and DirecTV's own version of DVR - there's no comparison. TiVo's worst version beats DirecTV's piece of crap any day of the week.

I'd like to replace my old beat up TiVo with another old one of the same kind.

Does anyone know if I can safely just switch it? I think it should, right? As long as it has a good access card? Or is there more to setting these up? Like, if I buy a used one off eBay, put in my access card - it should work fine, right?

royhobie

hobieflyer
I couldn't stand DirectTV. I changed to Dish TV. Better customer service by far. I think the deals are better too.

GopherM

Darwin was right
As far as I can tell, my original TiVo for a DirecTV system is failing. It's getting poor reception on channels the other TiVos in the house gets just fine. So the very last test I can make is to outright swap them with one another, but my gut feeling is - it's on its last legs.

For those of you who have experienced the difference between TiVo and DirecTV's own version of DVR - there's no comparison. TiVo's worst version beats DirecTV's piece of crap any day of the week.

I'd like to replace my old beat up TiVo with another old one of the same kind.

Does anyone know if I can safely just switch it? I think it should, right? As long as it has a good access card? Or is there more to setting these up? Like, if I buy a used one off eBay, put in my access card - it should work fine, right?

Putting your current card into a working TiVo should work just fine. Are you looking for a standard def or a hi def TiVo? If standard I might be able to help you out.

winniesmom

winniesmom
Directv

I couldn't stand DirectTV. I changed to Dish TV. Better customer service by far. I think the deals are better too.

Could you elaborate more on this reasoning about changing to Dish Network. I was thinking of changing to them thinking they may be a little bit cheaper but haven't really decided. What are the better deals with Dish Network, would love to know.

Bavarian

I just ordered a replacement hard drive for my DirecTv Tivo from Weaknees.com. Just came, but trying to watch shows on old drive, but it freezes often (The reason I am replacing it). Took my wife close to a week to watch a movie. Would go for awhile, then freeze, sometimes reboot. That is when she would give up and watch on regular receiver.

I would check out hidden fees on Dish System. Do they charge to change packages, change added premium channels, charge to suspend service when away for awhile? DirecTV does not. Do they ave as many channels, both HiDef and Std def?

GopherM

Darwin was right
Sam...Check for updates on your PM. I have the TiVo in my car and ready to go. Just give me a call to arrange.

Bavarian

If reception problem, probably not with the Tivo, check your satelite in connections. Also, if missing local channels, call DirecTv and have them reload your card.

BTW, no my TIVO has been powering up for 2 2/1 hours. This is new.
I am going to hard reset it.

Got the new drive, looks like a job to access the drive bay.

SamSpade

If reception problem, probably not with the Tivo, check your satelite in connections. Also, if missing local channels, call DirecTv and have them reload your card.

BTW, no my TIVO has been powering up for 2 2/1 hours. This is new.
I am going to hard reset it.

Got the new drive, looks like a job to access the drive bay.

I think it probably IS the TiVo, because the dish is connected to four other TVs and none of them have the problem, nor does another TiVo have a problem on the same cable connection.

Bavarian

I think it probably IS the TiVo, because the dish is connected to four other TVs and none of them have the problem, nor does another TiVo have a problem on the same cable connection.

Did you call DirecTv and have them reload the card on the Tivo that has problems?

Bavarian

Well, changed out drive from Weaknees, no joy. Now TIVO stuck on welcome screen, which should not have come up since TIVO already on account for years.
Trying to get help on Weaknees forum. May try reinstall old drive, send the new one back and breakdown and but plain old DVR.

SamSpade

Well I've learned you can't just switch out the access card - the setup claims the wrong card is in the wrong machine, so somehow it knows what machine or at least, what KIND of machine it belongs in.

I don't imagine it will be all that hard to call DirecTV and say, look, got a new Tivo, can I get a new card? They still owe me for a new card I got charged for but never received.