Food, Inc. - warning may ruin your dinner!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
*I hope this was an okay place to put this topic*
(continued from another thread)

I have a steak marinading in the fridge AND a rotisserie chicken I picked up Friday morning. Not sure which I want, but I'll have it with corn and maybe some french bread or pasta.

I would suggest you never watch "Food, Inc." :dead:

No, everyone SHOULD watch it! People need to be more informed of where our food comes from and how big corporations only care about lining their pockets and not providing nutritious food for us. :yay: That way people can make informed decisions on what to buy and eat.

It is deeply disturbing and I have to say it is clearly an eye opening documentary. I never knew they fed corn to cows but I do know that cows aren't meant to eat corn. Soooo, it causes them to get a back-up of e-coli. I wont go any further... you saw it... so you know! But the tube thingy they put in their stomachs... like I said, I'm very deeply disturbed. I saw the words chicken and steak and got nauseated. :twitch:

Um, duh. Anyone with half a brain knows that businesses exist to make money, not do charity work.

And my thanks to the Purdue people and the Birdseye people, not to mention the Shoppers Food Warehouse people, who provided me with this lovely meal this evening. :yay:

It's a rumen cannula. It really doesn't affect them at all. They can lead a perfectly normal life with it.

Um, duh. :rolleyes: Of course corporations exist to make money, but when they go about it using unsafe methods, that's not right. Did you know that in 1970 the USDA perfomed over 50,000 food safety inspections? Did you know that in 2007 (or 08) they only performed just over 9,000? Did you also know that our country won't shut down a processing facility even if they repeatedly get in trouble for having unsanitary conditions and occurrences of E. coli? That is pathetic. These corporations are largely allowed to police themselves. We can see where that's getting us. Food laced with E. coli isn't exactly something most people want to eat. I'd rather not eat beef that's been fed animal byproducts or chicken that's been fed arsenic. :yay:

:shrug: So don't eat it. I'll continue to live my life living in ignorance and eating yummy food, sorry. :1bdz:

I'm glad I heard you say it; for some reason, even after they said the same thing in the documentary, I just couldn't bring myself to believe it didn't.

Moved because we were ruining some people's dinner... This is a documentary I recently watched.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
After watching the documentary, I have to seriously wonder if this is what is causing obesity in America these days. It seems reasonable to think that if they pump animals with growth hormones - and we eat the animals - well...

Anyway, if you are bored and snowed in, there are plenty of free online movie sites that will allow you to watch this and if you have a Netflix membership, you can instantly watch it. :twitch:

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
I watched it a few days ago... Im a vegetarian and have been so for almost 7 yrs. So I already knew alot of what was on the documentary.
However, It was disturbing to know one company owns all the seed though, and that farmers can't even keep their own seed.
That means if you want to grow your own vegetables youre still growing their GMO from seed packs.
The problem I have with watching alot of those documentaries is the feeling of hopelessness they leave you with. They open your eyes to all these issues then roll credits. There isnt much by the way of a solution and hell we have to eat!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The problem I have with watching alot of those documentaries is the feeling of hopelessness they leave you with. They open your eyes to all these issues then roll credits. There isnt much by the way of a solution and hell we have to eat!!

Which is why you shouldn't bother grossing yourself out over food. It's obviously not killing us in droves, so fire up the grill, burn ya some steak and veggies and eat up!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
There isnt much by the way of a solution and hell we have to eat!!

Right... because it seemed everything was tainted for some reason or another. I doubt I will become a vegetarian and know that after I get over the shock value, I'll be back to eating steak and chicken - but I wont look at it the same way. I do wonder, do the Amish pump up their livestock with hormones?

rpexie

I dont think the Amish use growth hormones. I dont know what they use as far as pesticides for their veggies but Im pretty sure their meats would qualify as organic.

Worth finding out though.. I like to eat whats local whenever I can.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I dont think the Amish use growth hormones. I dont know what they use as far as pesticides for their veggies but Im pretty sure their meats would qualify as organic.

Worth finding out though.. I like to eat whats local whenever I can.

What are "whats"? I have never heard of that... And I intend to check with the Amish. :yay: In fact, during the summer, I buy frequently from them.

rpexie

whats local.. hmm.. I eat what's local. I buy what's on sale?

probably a southern saying. Maybe I should say "I like to eat whatever is local when I can."

at any rate.. I do. :dance:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Throughout this film, Food, Inc.:

■Demonizes American farmers and the agriculture system responsible for feeding over 300 million people in the United States.
■Presents an unrealistic view of how to feed a growing nation while ignoring the practical demands of the American consumer and the fundamental needs of consumers around the world.
■Disregards the fact that multiple agriculture systems should – and do – coexist.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I saw a special on Discovery where they were in a Perdue chicken factory. MASSIVE factory, clean rooms, seperations between rooms, and they were VERY careful about contamination from one room to another.

What got me the most was the UNENDING testing by lab workers that come through and swab work surfaces, carcasses, and people to look for e-coli and a multitude of other bacteria and contaminants. (Personally I think there is bigger chance of contamination from dirty humans than dirty poultry).

EVERY night they tear down all their equipment clean it, and re-inspect every piece before they put it back together for the morning shift.

Did Food Inc show any of that?

rpexie

Well I didnt agree with all of the film but I do think its unsettling, farmers have little to no control over their own farms any more... I mean many of them even said they wished they could talk about their concerns but were afraid of the repercussions. I dont think the farmers themselves were really being attacked so much as Monsanto.
I think its a good thing to open the lines of communication about why vegetables and healthy foods are so costly while unhealthy food is so affordable, or can we really afford to eat healthy?

rpexie

I saw a special on Discovery where they were in a Perdue chicken factory. MASSIVE factory, clean rooms, seperations between rooms, and they were VERY careful about contamination from one room to another.

What got me the most was the UNENDING testing by lab workers that come through and swab work surfaces, carcasses, and people to look for e-coli and a multitude of other bacteria and contaminants. (Personally I think there is bigger chance of contamination from dirty humans than dirty poultry).

EVERY night they tear down all their equipment clean it, and re-inspect every piece before they put it back together for the morning shift.

I believe I saw something about Perdue having the best facilities and it was Tyson that raised concerns about conditions. If it gets people researching where their food comes from its probably a good thing. I think most people that would watch Food Inc. and things like that dont usually take things as being 100% true at face value anyway.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Well I didnt agree with all of the film but I do think its unsettling, farmers have little to no control over their own farms any more... I mean many of them even said they wished they could talk about their concerns but were afraid of the repercussions. I dont think the farmers themselves were really being attacked so much as Monsanto.
I think its a good thing to open the lines of communication about why vegetables and healthy foods are so costly while unhealthy food is so affordable, or can we really afford to eat healthy?

Can we afford to be sick? Either we pay now or pay later with obesity related illnesses, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease....
You are what you eat.

rpexie

Can we afford to be sick? Either we pay now or pay later with obesity related illnesses, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease....
You are what you eat.

I agree. Im reiterating what the film was asking, how Obesity is on the rise, and people look for a solution but many people especially the poor cant afford healthy or organic food.

Personally, my grocery bill always sucks because I buy so many vegetables/organic things. Not to mention, having to shop at different places to complete my shopping. Im looking forward to the summer and local produce.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

No, they asked all the major players for an interview and tour, but they all declined. They were only able to get 1 chicken farmer to give a tour and interview. They did go into how chickens have been genetically engineered to grow faster and larger in a shorter amount of time to get them to the slaughter house sooner. And since most prefer white meat than dark meat, they were able to get more white meat out of the chicken by genetically altering them. The result, the chicken's internal organs begin to shut down and since the breast now grows so large, they cannot walk but a few steps before falling over and are not generally healthy most of their life. Then, we consumers eat those chickens.

And just an F.Y.I., this was not some anti-meat documentary, at least not to me. The documentary focused more time on the corn and soybean industries and the Monsanto monopoly. It also discussed the government's roles and how those in power positions placed there by the government do indeed have a direct interest in the food industry.

I think you’d really enjoy watching it Bob.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Throughout this film, Food, Inc.:

■Demonizes American farmers and the agriculture system responsible for feeding over 300 million people in the United States.
■Presents an unrealistic view of how to feed a growing nation while ignoring the practical demands of the American consumer and the fundamental needs of consumers around the world.
■Disregards the fact that multiple agriculture systems should – and do – coexist.

The comment was made that "it seemed everything was tainted for some reason or another." That should be your first clue that this is a propaganda piece and not to be taken seriously. Any bonehead with a video camera can make a "documentary" and say whatever they want, regardless of whether it's true. Look at Michael Moore.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I agree. Im reiterating what the film was asking, how Obesity is on the rise, and people look for a solution but many people especially the poor cant afford healthy or organic food.

Personally, my grocery bill always sucks because I buy so many vegetables/organic things. Not to mention, having to shop at different places to complete my shopping. Im looking forward to the summer and local produce.

It is quite annoying especially living down here and I too am looking forward to the growing season :yahoo:

Cowgirl

My take on the movie is that it wasn't so much about how the actual food was grown, but more about how the same large corporations are controlling everything. We can thank McDonald's for controlling the way beef, pork, potatoes, and several other things are grown. The head of the FDA was the CEO of one of the largest food corporations. Many of the politicians in the USDA or FDA were in big with food corporations.

It's perfectly legal in this country to "clean" meat filler with ammonia, and many slaughter houses that are repeat offenders for unsanitary conditions are immune to any repercussions, yet it's illegal for a perfectly clean dairy to sell raw milk in many states. What's wrong with this picture?

The grain industry (corn, soybeans, what) is SO subsidized that it is more affordable for the average American to eat food that is horrible for you than it is to eat healthy food. Why are we saving money on the food we eat only to pay more costs to doctors to keep us healthy?

The movie wasn't so much made to make everyone afraid to eat, it was made to make people aware of the food industry and how it's controlled. I never felt like it demonized the American farmer. I actually think it did the opposite. Farmers are just trying to make money, but they're pretty much controlled by the huge corporations that dictate their business.

F

forceofnature

Yes the movie was biased against the big corporations controling the food market.

It may cost more but we buy organic, and balance the cost by eating a little less per meal.