Companion Care Vet in Mechanicsville

jasonandjen

it just doesnt seem right. my wife took our dog into companion care in mechanicsville professional center today at noon. first things first, the reason we took the dog there was that we felt tidewater vet was too expensive. we were quoted on the phone a office visit of $50, and thought that was a nice start as tidewater is $60. everyone thinking tidewater is expensive had us deciding to try some place new. during our visit, i feel that my wife was nickeled and dimed for charges that she didn't know about until check out at the front. the total bill was an unbelievable $540.58.

physical exam 57.90 (quoted $50 on phone)
sedation 49.58
xray 114.54 (quoted a $120 xray which was approved)
cytology 31.62
chewable dog pills 24.16 (edit: fecal worm pill)
culture 181.12
clavamox tablets 50.54
clavamox drops 31.12
heartworm pills n/c 9.99 (gave us free heartworm pill i should mention)
total 540.58

does anyone else think this is absurd and what recourse do i have. i was first going to post the question publicly here, then perhaps make a complaint to the better business bureau. at the very least i thought it fair to warn others who are also searching for an alternative source of care that its just not to be found here.

let me make my complaints more specific. we were told 50 on the phone and its much closer to 60. we were told 120 for x rays and were not told sedation was extra, and assumed it was part of the procedure. if x rays had been quoted at 170 that would have been denied. we were not accurately quoted. they took a biopsy there in the office. perhaps it is fair to charge extra when extra care is needed, but where did my original $60 go. my wife was given 2 antibiotics and simply told why they were needed, not told that taking 2 would be an extreme expense. $80 worth of antibiotics were given because the vet said we cant give her one and a half pills. the half of a pill once oxygen hits it starts to break down. the second half of the pill you give her in the morning will be no good for the second dose in the evening. you give her one pill, and one drop which equals half a pill. it seems amazing and quite frankly, bs, that a properly sized doze could not have been sized for her. or perhaps i could have given her 3 pills throught the day vs one and a half pills twice a day. i think this shows a gross disregard for my money and an attitude that shows they are milking the customer. am i way off base here, or am i being fleeced?
jasonandjen

Last edited:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
it just doesnt seem right. my wife took our dog into companion care in mechanicsville professional center today at noon. first things first, the reason we took the dog there was that we felt tidewater vet was too expensive. we were quoted on the phone a office visit of $50, and thought that was a nice start as tidewater is $60. everyone thinking tidewater is expensive had us deciding to try some place new. during our visit, i feel that my wife was nickeled and dimed for charges that she didn't know about until check out at the front. the total bill was an unbelievable $540.58.

physical exam 57.90 (quoted $50 on phone)
sedation 49.58
xray 114.54 (quoted a $120 xray which was approved)
cytology 31.62
chewable dog pills 24.16 (heartworm)
culture 181.12
clavamox tablets 50.54
clavamox drops 31.12
total 540.58

does anyone else think this is absurd and what recourse do i have. i was first going to post the question publicly here, then perhaps make a complaint to the better business bureau. at the very least i thought it fair to warn others who are also searching for an alternative source of care that its just not to be found here.

let me make my complaints more specific. we were told 50 on the phone and its much closer to 60. we were told 120 for x rays and were not told sedation was extra, and assumed it was part of the procedure. if x rays had been quoted at 170 that would have been denied. we were not accurately quoted. they took a biopsy there in the office. perhaps it is fair to charge extra when extra care is needed, but where did my original $60 go. my wife was given 2 antibiotics and simply told why they were needed, not told that taking 2 would be an extreme expense. $80 worth of antibiotics were given because the vet said we cant give her one and a half pills. the half of a pill once oxygen hits it starts to break down. the second half of the pill you give her in the morning will be no good for the second dose in the evening. you give her one pill, and one drop which equals half a pill. it seems amazing and quite frankly, bs, that a properly sized doze could not have been sized for her. or perhaps i could have given her 3 pills throught the day vs one and a half pills twice a day. i think this shows a gross disregard for my money and an attitude that shows they are milking the customer. am i way off base here, or am i being fleeced?
jasonandjen

What was the reason for the visit? :shrug:

DQ2B

We compared their prices to Tidewater (for puppy visit of wellness check, rabies, 5-way shot, worming,nail trim) and Tidewater was cheaper.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
does anyone else think this is absurd and what recourse do i have.

I don't think it's terribly absurd. Pets are expensive and when they are sick, the cost can be overwhelming. There are several pet insurance programs out there that might be worth checking into. Ask your vet which one they prefer or do some research on your own.

SoMDGirl42

I take my dogs to St. Mary's vet. They've always given me a written estimate before doing anything. If antibiotics were needed, I was always given an updated estimate with the cost of the meds included.

Sounds like your wife let them get over on her. She should have been more proactive and had everything in writing BEFORE consenting to any care. Just my opinion. It sucks.

and for the record, I've heard this doctor is famous for doing this with all the animals.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
Just an FYI, I know of at least one vet in the area, that gives their technicians bonus' based on how many tests they get the clients to agree to run.... to me that's BS....

tazzman

I dealt with Companion once. I thought they were expensive. I only deal with Tidewater Vet now. Dr Lisas is wonderful!! She went beyond her job duty in taking care of my dachshund. I highly recommend them to anyone. I don't feel they over charge on anything and they will try to work with you on keeping expenses down.

jasonandjen

the dog had a bump on her lower jaw. turned out to be an infection. i do believe everything they did was necessary, and when they responded to my email and offered for me to opt out of the $180 culture i said no. my problem wasn't with that option. it was that each thing they COULD charge for they DID. they claim they told my wife the cost of the xray accurately but my wifes impression was it was $120. anyways, tidewater only charges $20 to sedate a dog for an xray, so $50 seems a bit much. their phone call to me didn't serve much purpose, and the secretary or whoever called even mentioned listing on a public forum before calling them. more than one time she seemed just a touch snippy but she remained reasonable and professionally composed the whole time. it would have been nice to get a price break but they weren't having that, and i didn't ask. i feel like we're vested in her care there now, so i'll be going back for the duration of this particular problem, but they were having us come back in a week for a checkup and booster shots, and the results of the culture may or may not be in by then. so i said why dont we wait for the results, then you call me in. over there money grows on trees but not in my house. i'd like to do it efficently. its just many things like this that show they have no regard for my money. its my last series of visits there once my dogs jaw is better.
jason

CompanionCare

We realize it can be very upsetting learning that your pet has a potential life threatening illness. We understand there may have been some misunderstandings that possibly could have been avoided had you been present at the time of the appointment. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can discuss this further.

Sincerely

Cathee Brinkley, RVT
Hospital Administrator

Just an FYI, I know of at least one vet in the area, that gives their technicians bonus' based on how many tests they get the clients to agree to run.... to me that's BS....

in addition to selling them food, treats, etc....

And how is that different from any other business? Insurance companies, doctor offices, dentistry, car lots, mechanics, the list goes on and on.

The all prey on the consumer's emotions and it is up to the consumer to educate themselves and know it is already to say "no".

frequentflier

happy to be living
And how is that different from any other business? Insurance companies, doctor offices, dentistry, car lots, mechanics, the list goes on and on.

The all prey on the consumer's emotions and it is up to the consumer to educate themselves and know it is already to say "no".

Most people trust their vet's and their employee's and don't expect that they work on *commission* plus salary. I would say this attitude is starting to change as people are seeing that some of them aren't much different than other businesses that have a reputation~ whether deserved or not~ of high profit add ons. *Greed as opposed to need*
There is a big line between gouging people and making a fair profit. It definately pays to compare products, services and prices.
As a retailer of pet related products, we offer people knowledge of our products and suggestions of things they can try. However, no high pressure sales or guilt trips. We don't try to come off as having more knowledge than veterinarians and suggest people make their own decisions based on research, second opinions and sometimes just plain common sense.
I just started reading a book written by Dr Michael Fox. He is a holistic vet that is known locally because of his weekly advice column in the Washington Post. He has a lot to say about the crappy foods sold by some vets, overuse and overselling of medications and vaccinations, etc.

stars24

We use VCA St. Mary's and they always give a written estimate beforehand. I would think that would be appropriate before any costly procedure. It protects you but also protects the vet from accusations that they weren't forthcoming with information. Just seems like a good business practice to do these things in writing.

srhyne01

Companion Care

I have two dogs and take both of them to Companion Care, and I think it is a wonderful veterinarian clinic. I have a Miniature Dachshund and taking her to the vet has always been nothing but a nightmare. But since I started taking her to Companion Care, she has completly changed. From the second we walk into the office, the frond desk girls give her love and attention, the vet techs are gentle, and the veterinarian has her best interest in mind. I have always been given an itemized list before any treatment begins, and I am never pressured into having procedures done. Companion Care gives far more than the standard or care, and I won't take my dogs anywhere else.

jasonandjen

well no news is good news, but i only have bad. we received a letter saying that they no longer wish to serve us, but that they would serve our needs better by forwarding our folder to a vet of our choice. this comes as a shock to me as the last time i talked to kathy, whom i believe is the office manager, we had worked out that i was gonna get her normal puppy shots and the results to the culture as well as the updated antibiotic at the same time. i said im not tryin to be cheap, but my whole problem was i just wanted an efficent streamlined visit. lets do them both at the same time. "ok sir, we'll call you when the culture result is in." i have had no interaction with them since. i went to see kathy about it but she wasnt in. if i am the worst customer complaint she's had to deal with, she must only cater to angels and saints. i went to the office to see if it was a mistake and kathy wasnt there. if she clears it up and does decent customer service, i'll write it off as a misunderstanding. if this is something she stands behind as a decision of the vet, i think it only fitting to take my complaint to the next level, the better business bureau. do you guys think this is fair and appropriate? i haven't sent them anything yet, rather just to the email address they have listed on there, which should go straight to the vet. what do you guys think is fair. i wanted raz to be cared for there where she saw the initial vet. they know the situation there and i think she'll have fine care there as my wife had no complaints about the service to person or to pet. but now with this letter i dont want my wife going somewhere with our puppy that we feel we're not wanted. the two girls at the front were nice, even i believe, knowing who i was as one of them asked about our pup. should i just go to tidewater from now on, as the culture results are all they'll need for here, or push for care at companion, where they saw her first.

also if they do stick with banning us from their vet, what are my recourses through a credit card chargeback or small claims court? does that seem like an option? i just want care for my dogs at a good fair price!
jason

saggy

Saggy
There are several things in your message that I wanted to respond to.
1st-Clavamox drops can be purchased with an RX for $14 here Clavamox For Dog - Pet Supplies - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
Tablets can be purchased for 45 cents a pill with an RX here Clavamox ® (Brand)
I didn't try to find the cheapest, just wanted you to get an idea. Please remember that She is in business to make money-just like we go to work to make money.

I have always known Dr. Donis (this is her married name now) as Dr. Mc from St. Mary's Vet. Hospital which is now VCA St. Mary's Hospital. When VCA was purchased from Dr. Forrest all the Vets. there had to make a choice and Dr. Mc decided to go out on her own.

2nd when your wife visited with the puppy she should have questioned the charges then-not after the fact. She gave them the credit card and you can't say now I want my money back because they no longer want you as a customer. She did her job (very expensive) but by giving her your credit card you agreed to pay. She is a very thourough Vet. She's always been honest and does care about the animal-not just money.

You can call the Better Business Bureau all you want. They are not a government agency, they are a for profit company. Meaning company's have to pay them around $350 a year so people can call them and tell you what a nice company it is. Company's use this for advertising because the BBB can't make any business do anything. So go ahead and complain all you want, they will contact Dr. Donis and try to get her to join them if she hasn't already. Then they will ask her side of the story and the complaint will never be told to anyone again. I'm really surprised that she sent that letter. All businessess are down right now and for her to turn away a customer and a puppy....it had to be pretty bad. Yes she's seen a lot worse than what you've described. I can't see where you have a small claims court case...exactly what did she do that was wrong? Other than you disagreeing with the charges.

If I was you I'd find a new Vet to care for your puppy. Dr. Donis can send them your file and the test results so your puppy can continue to be treated for the infection. I'd tell your wife to ask about charges before she goes and when she goes to check out and the bill is different THEN question them. Or better yet-you take the puppy to the vets.

Last edited:

jasonandjen

saggy, thanks for your post. i'd like to reiterate that i didn't have a problem with how my wife or dog was treated. it looks like my complaint started the whole thing. if you have money, and want good care for your dog, let me make it clear that they did a fine job.

thanks for the information about the antibiotics. i just told my wife tonight we should look for another dose in case we run out before the culture comes through.

as far as it being pretty bad, thats what had me so floored. i really wasnt an irate customer on the phone, but i had a list of specific complaints i wanted answered. she mentioned on the phone and in her letter about my postings on here. they really didn't like it. in my days at enterprise rent a car we were all about whether the customer wanted to come back or not and did anything necessary to make sure they wanted to, and would tell their friends. because of all my years of customer service, there and at circuit city, and running my business, even if i am an unsatisfied customer, i think im pretty easy to deal with. i have to kiss my mama with the mouth i speak with. i dont think they had an issue with me being irate. i tried to go visit her in person about the letter but she wasnt there. she called me the next morning (today) and ended up hanging up on me when i asked what had changed since the time we talked. she was nice about it cause i asked twice because she really didn't answer, but none the less she terminated the conversation. this is kathy im referring to, not the vet.

i may be reacting emotionally in now wanting my money back, as i think its wrong to see a dog and then push the care off on another vet. isnt the original vet that saw her the best one to follow up with her care?

saggy

Saggy
saggy, thanks for your post. i'd like to reiterate that i didn't have a problem with how my wife or dog was treated. it looks like my complaint started the whole thing. if you have money, and want good care for your dog, let me make it clear that they did a fine job.

thanks for the information about the antibiotics. i just told my wife tonight we should look for another dose in case we run out before the culture comes through.

as far as it being pretty bad, thats what had me so floored. i really wasnt an irate customer on the phone, but i had a list of specific complaints i wanted answered. she mentioned on the phone and in her letter about my postings on here. they really didn't like it. in my days at enterprise rent a car we were all about whether the customer wanted to come back or not and did anything necessary to make sure they wanted to, and would tell their friends. because of all my years of customer service, there and at circuit city, and running my business, even if i am an unsatisfied customer, i think im pretty easy to deal with. i have to kiss my mama with the mouth i speak with. i dont think they had an issue with me being irate. i tried to go visit her in person about the letter but she wasnt there. she called me the next morning (today) and ended up hanging up on me when i asked what had changed since the time we talked. she was nice about it cause i asked twice because she really didn't answer, but none the less she terminated the conversation. this is kathy im referring to, not the vet.

i may be reacting emotionally in now wanting my money back, as i think its wrong to see a dog and then push the care off on another vet. isnt the original vet that saw her the best one to follow up with her care?

Of course the original Vet that started the treatment on your puppy would be the best person to finish the care BUT you can't force her to see you and your puppy. Remember that she hasn't been in business that long by herself so while she probably has a good base of patients she certainly doesn't want unhappy campers complaining on forumns. It's a shame Kathy hangs up on you but since I wasn't there to hear I'm not sure why she doesn't want to talk to you. But please make an appointment with another Vet to finish your puppys treatment then both you and Dr. Mc will be happy.

Even when you change vets there are ways to save money. I'll just mention the real obvious one. I see the puppy has been started on heart worm pills. The Vets are very expensive with the medications. I ask my Vet for a RX for a years worth for each dog then if the Vet can't match the price I order them off line. I also get my flea preventive online. No I never recommend Pet Meds....they are boxed to look like the real thing but they are from foreign countrys. Here is a link I use when looking for meds. if I have and RX for them. I use Allivet and have for years-never had a problem with anything Allivet coupons - Allivet coupon code - Allivet coupon they also list other RX Pet companies.

Everyone of us want the best possible care for our critters and the majority of us have more than 1 critter to take care of so we do have to look at cost. So I hope I've showed you a few ways to save on the care of your puppy and don't be so biatchy with your next Vet :buttkick:

stoppingby

she mentioned on the phone and in her letter about my postings on here. they really didn't like it. she called me the next morning (today) and ended up hanging up on me when i asked what had changed since the time we talked. she was nice about it cause i asked twice because she really didn't answer, but none the less she terminated the conversation. this is kathy im referring to, not the vet.

Yeah, this reminds me of a Sears Dental Clinic that we'd visited numerous times. Over time I had some legitimate complaints and they did reimburse me some monies. Then they said that it might be in my best interests to find another dentist and would make the referral. I think by law they have to do that. Yep, as soon as you have complaints they do this or say things like, "Well, if you're not satisfied.....", "We can't seem to satisfy you....", things like that to get the monkey off their back. Businesses always say that so they don't have to own up to responsibility.

If the vet isn't going to complete the work there then they're just hurting their rep even more so. Heck with 'em!! Go to Dr. Brown.

And this gal brought that up about the forum. They should've just done their job and kept the private life out of the visit. And to hang up on you???? Ha-ha-ha!!! They're blemishing their reputation and I'm going to pass this on to many people there in Maryland.

They should be nice and refund half the money if they're referring you to another vet. But, no, they'd be too scared other clients might request the same.

I now have a bad impression about this Companion Care place. Hanging up...oops, that's a no-no!!!!

See my thread in this forum about A Sincere Vet From The Old School. Dr. Brown is just great! He's in it for the animals - not to line his pockets.

It's our money and we can take our business elsewhere. These vets are just getting outrageous. I've heard some real good stories about some around this area.

I want to look up that book byDr. Michael J. Fox that was mentioned here in this thread.