Spring Time Party!!

hardcore

Creation=Creator, Logic
Spring is on the horizon, would any somd'ers be interested in a get together cook out, to kick off the spring/summer? places are certainly open for discussion.

It would be cool to put faces to the names!! :buddies:

tyky

eieio
Spring is on the horizon, would any somd'ers be interested in a get together cook out, to kick off the spring/summer? places are certainly open for discussion.

It would be cool to put faces to the names!! :buddies:

A lot of us get together here and there next time I will send you a pm :buddies:

snipe hunt?

Never heard of a snipe hunt? Lots of fun...

In the rural South, and perhaps in other parts of the country, there comes the time
for "The Snipe Hunt." Most all young boys are handed a gunny sack, a light of sorts,
sometimes a whistle, and are taken deep into the woods to hunt Snipe. It's a right of
passage and something which must be done alone.
The snipe hunt by tradition is a rather simple affair. Legend has it..the snipe
is nocturnal and is best hunted at night when it leaves its snipe nest. Webster defines
the Snipe as a member of the Sandpiper family, but to this day no one has ever really
seen a Snipe, much less captured one. At least to my knowledge!! (By the way, the
fact that there really is long-billed bird called a Snipe has almost nothing to do with this
ritual hunt.)

You never shoot a snipe -- not with a gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow. You just catch
them in a gunnysack. Sure it seems rather odd, trying to catch a bird with a gunnysack,
but look at it this way, its another fun activity like chasing down a greased pig, or any
of the other peculiar things guys in the country call fun. I have to admit I was "grown"
before I learned the truth about "Snipe hunting," because when we moved to the city,
there it was again. At camps in the summer, Snipe hunting was at the top of the list of
activities!

PrepH4U

In the rural South, and perhaps in other parts of the country, there comes the time
for "The Snipe Hunt." Most all young boys are handed a gunny sack, a light of sorts,
sometimes a whistle, and are taken deep into the woods to hunt Snipe. It's a right of
is nocturnal and is best hunted at night when it leaves its snipe nest. Webster defines
the Snipe as a member of the Sandpiper family, but to this day no one has ever really
seen a Snipe, much less captured one. At least to my knowledge!! (By the way, the
fact that there really is long-billed bird called a Snipe has almost nothing to do with this
ritual hunt.)

You never shoot a snipe -- not with a gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow. You just catch
them in a gunnysack. Sure it seems rather odd, trying to catch a bird with a gunnysack,
but look at it this way, its another fun activity like chasing down a greased pig, or any
of the other peculiar things guys in the country call fun. I have to admit I was "grown"
before I learned the truth about "Snipe hunting," because when we moved to the city,
there it was again. At camps in the summer, Snipe hunting was at the top of the list of
activities!

We always had better luck catching the snipe in cornfields :shrug: Maybe that's where they nested in the north. :shrug:

hardcore

Creation=Creator, Logic

ritual hunt.)

activities!

thanks for clarifying :whistle:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Attachments

• Pintail Snipe.jpg
    Pintail Snipe.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 78