Bloom Box

Very interesting article on CBS news right now. The Bloom Box is a small self contained power plant, the core being a 5" x5" cube of varying depth. This one box this small can power a whole house. O2 in, power out. Being tested around the country by major corporations. It's intention is to eliminate the power lines to your house, eliminate centralized power plants. The core is housed in a small shed-like structure about 10' high by 8' square, inventor estimates the cost to be about $3000. Didn't mentoin the costs for O2 supply and such.

Very interesting technology, very promising.
The Bloom Box: An Energy Breakthrough? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Last edited:

willie

They have to use almost any kind of fuel including methane from a dump but how much fuel?

They have to use almost any kind of fuel including methane from a dump but how much fuel?

They didn't get into those details, apparently very secretive about the project. But since the core is so small, I can't see it using all that much.

jaksprat

According to 3rd page of article it says it needs half as much fuel to run:

'Four units have been powering a Google datacenter for 18 months. They use natural gas, but half as much as would be required for a traditional power plant.'

And like DoWhat says, they estimate cost of unit at $3000 for a home. I'd also want to know what's the cost of maintenance (they seem to indicate it's low), but it sounds very promising.

This thing sounds fantastic. Runs clean, takes all kinds of existing fuels to run, can be swapped in at power plants for existing grid, and can be phased-in later at residences and commercially as current systems die out. Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I do believe some technology like this will provide the answer.

Last edited:

Vince

According to 3rd page of article it says it needs half as much fuel to run:

'Four units have been powering a Google datacenter for 18 months. They use natural gas, but half as much as would be required for a traditional power plant.'

And like DoWhat says, they estimate cost of unit at $3000 for a home. I'd also want to know what's the cost of maintenance (they seem to indicate it's low), but it sounds very promising.

This thing sounds fantastic. Runs clean, takes all kinds of existing fuels to run, can be swapped in at power plants for existing grid, and can be phased-in later at residences and commercially as current systems die out. Maybe I'm being idealistic, but I do believe some technology like this will provide the answer.
If something sounds too good to be true, it ususally is.

jaksprat

If something sounds too good to be true, it ususally is.

In most cases I'd agree with you but I couldn't see any big holes in this story. Usually a thing like this costs too much. I suppose they could be underestimating its cost. We'll see. Any ideas on how else it might fail?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

jaksprat

I caught the tail end of the story. Colin Powell is investing in these. The one guy said 20% of homes would have these by 2020 or something. The Bloom Box: a power plant for the home (video) -- Engadget

Yeah, I noticed Colin Powell was on the Board of Directors, presumably for the investment part of it. He's no dummy so that says something. But claiming 20% of homes would have it by 2020 is more than a stretch I think. What about people who have just installed new HVAC (like me)? Not too compelling to replace it right away. Plus, getting through all the approvals, regs, etc will probably its progress to a crawl. But still, it's promising.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Yeah, I noticed Colin Powell was on the Board of Directors, presumably for the investment part of it. He's no dummy so that says something. But claiming 20% of homes would have it by 2020 is more than a stretch I think. What about people who have just installed new HVAC (like me)? Not too compelling to replace it right away. Plus, getting through all the approvals, regs, etc will probably its progress to a crawl. But still, it's promising.
Why would you have to replace your HVAC?

willie

As far as approvals go, there shouldn't be any more than an electical inspection. The $3000 is what makes me wonder. I paid almost that for a generator that runs everything but the AC.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I saw a program where some remote east asian people used the gas out of their septic for cooking. Could the same principle be applied from a domestic septic system to be used with this power plant?

I saw a program where some remote east asian people used the gas out of their septic for cooking. Could the same principle be applied from a domestic septic system to be used with this power plant?

It is supposed to run on Methane, a by-product of septic systems, so I don't see why not, as long as it can maintain the volume of gas required.

jaksprat

OK. I just added up my electric bills for the past year (my house is all electric) and I have paid $3300 for the past 12 months. :otter: Now, if the bloom box uses half the fuel as a traditional system and we assume for a moment that the different types of fuel - elect, gas, oil, etc. - all cost the same (I know that's not true, but let's assume for a moment), then for my situation the bloom box should pay for itself after 2 years (assuming cost is $3000). Right?

Let me know if I screwed up somewhere. I've already had my senior moment this morning.

Last edited:

willie

A small town outside of Paris has been heated by a Paris dump for many years.

jaksprat

Wow, that must add a real 'nutty' flavor to their food. I was thinking Chinese tonight but I think I just changed my mind. :shocking: