VCA has tarnished St Mary's Animal Hospital

dn0121

St Mary's Vet Hospital has an incredible staff and I don't begrudge Dr Forrest at all for his decision to sell to VCA; however, VCA has severely hurt the reputation of this fine hospital.

The nickel and diming of fees, the increased office visit charge, the over scheduling of surgeries, and the reduction of staff have all made my recent visits my last.

We will be switching to a new vet that many people have recommended and have the same qualities that St Mary's used to have. I hope to see some of the wonderful Veterinarians from St Mary's at another hospital some day.

Last edited:

saggy

Saggy
If you find one that is like St. Mary's used to be, Please let us know. I've been with Dr. Forrest 15 years and I have seen to many changes (not for the better). I ran into one of the Vet Techs and she had quit a few weeks prior-Dr. Forrest's wife Ann was let go. I know that was not suppose to happen and I'm sure Dr. Forrest is not a happy camper. The last time I was there I was charged for a Hazard Waste charge-no needles were used. All they did was an x-ray.

Macluvr

I have been with them 20 years. I know some changes have happened but I only see Dr. Forrest now. I will not see any of the other Drs. at the hospital. He is the same wonderful man he has always been and I will not leave. I will pay the high prices because I know the quality I am getting from him and his staff is worth it. :yay:

Beta84

They're out to get us
too bad. probably sold the place because it wasn't profitable, so the new owners are trying to turn a profit.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Beta84 said:
too bad. probably sold the place because it wasn't profitable, so the new owners are trying to turn a profit.

No he made good profit, and will be leaving soon.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
The nickel and diming of fees, the increased office visit charge, the over scheduling of surgeries, and the reduction of staff have all made my recent visits my last.

I took both dogs to the vet yesterday. The last time they went was last summer. Anyhow, I noticed their office visit increased a few dollars and they added a "hazard waste removal fee" to all invoices in the amount of $4.99. I have no complaints about the staff and they have always been pleasant and I never have to wait - my appointment is always on time.

You said there was a RIF and I have noticed the complete opposite. :confused:

Macluvr

From what I understand, he was getting overwhelmed and stressed out from all the paper work and was up half the night taking care of business instead of having a life. He was ready to have a life. I however did not know that he was going to leave. I will have to get this from one of the girls before I will believe that. If so, then he is ready to retire, and who could blame him. He has worked his proverbial butt off and made that hospital what it is today. Time to rest now. :shrug:

Confirmed: He is NOT leaving. Just checked with one of the girls. :biggrin:

Last edited:

aubriana

St Mary's Vet Hospital has an incredible staff and I don't begrudge Dr Forrest at all for his decision to sell to VCA; however, VCA has severely hurt the reputation of this fine hospital.

We will be switching to a new vet that many people have recommended and have the same qualities that St Mary's used to have. I hope to see some of the wonderful Veterinarians from St Mary's at another hospital some day.

All Kinds Veterinary Hospital
(301) 994-9919
20865 Callaway Village Way, Callaway, MD 20620

The Best!!!

Woodyspda

Not sure how someone could assume the business wasn't making a profit. I took my pup there ONCE a few years ago... never again... there are other vets around town that are just as qualified.

Sounds like Dr. Forrest should have hired a bookkeeper or bookkeeping firm. Would have made his life a whole lot easier, instead it sounds like he was trying to save a buck and in the end it was just easier to sell off.

NTNG

I've known Kirk for over 20 yrs. Our boys were in scouts together. I dont believe him selling his practice to VCA was an easy thing to do. He built it from the ground up, it provided for his family for all those years. Yes, there are now fees that have been imposed. Yes, changes have taken place. I'm sure Kirk and his family are happy to have been relieved of some of the buisness-owner issues. I have always brought my pets to Kirk, and will continue to do so.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I started using St Mary's Animal Hospital when we arrived here in '94. I was never impressed, but they were satisfactory, albeit expensive. I changed vet's when Dr. Bell starting working there, then followed her when she left. After our cat died, we were without pets for years. We now have pets again, and All Kinds has been wonderful.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I take my dog to All Kinds and have for a while now.

I love Drs Autumn and Adam. They and their techs are so good with Dexter and Sophie. They actually listen to me and I have never felt *talked down to* as I have with other vets.
It is well worth the drive!

J

jp2854

I love dr. autumn and dr. schad (sp). Today i went in to have brunos nails clipped as one of the techs that bruno loves was in and she did them for me since I can't get bruno to sit still and not attack me. Dr.schad spent 5min talking to me about grainfree dogfood etc.

Frequentflyer do you carry orijen dogfood and if so can you tell me how much it costs for a medium sized bag (15 to 30lbs) that is the good the vet recommended and she also recommended wellness core. I told her i am having a hard time getting bruno to eat her dog food so i bought a bag of kibbles and bits and am mixing it with her other dog food that she won't eat. I was told not to buy another bag of it after this so I won't but I need to find something that flavorful that bruno will eat that is preferably grainfree or has rice in it. Do you have any good suggestions as you sell dogfood?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I love dr. autumn and dr. schad (sp). Today i went in to have brunos nails clipped as one of the techs that bruno loves was in and she did them for me since I can't get bruno to sit still and not attack me. Dr.schad spent 5min talking to me about grainfree dogfood etc.

Frequentflyer do you carry orijen dogfood and if so can you tell me how much it costs for a medium sized bag (15 to 30lbs) that is the good the vet recommended and she also recommended wellness core. I told her i am having a hard time getting bruno to eat her dog food so i bought a bag of kibbles and bits and am mixing it with her other dog food that she won't eat. I was told not to buy another bag of it after this so I won't but I need to find something that flavorful that bruno will eat that is preferably grainfree or has rice in it. Do you have any good suggestions as you sell dogfood?

Though it is a good food, we don't sell Orijin. I am on a chat with many other pet related businesses and everyone complains that they never get what the order quantity wise. The company is not dependable in shipments which becomes a problem if people cannot get the food their animals are used to.
We do carry EVO made by Natura and it is grainfree Grain-Free Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food & Dog Treats – Meat-Based Pet Food – EVO Pet Products. Dr Schad has been to my store and knows we carry it. We do have samples for Bruno to try if you are interested.
A business called LoriB's is closing (retirement) and they have been sending people here for food; particularly Chicken Soup. I am in the process of establishing myself with the distributor of that line and hope to have a shipment next week. If there are no territory restrictions, I can also order the Wellness line and Taste of the Wild and others. When we carry the foods available from this distributor, they will likely be by special order.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
We fed our boxer Wellness for a while. He didn't seem to like it very much. We give him boxer specific food and he does great with it.

saggy

Saggy
From what I understand, he was getting overwhelmed and stressed out from all the paper work and was up half the night taking care of business instead of having a life. He was ready to have a life. I however did not know that he was going to leave. I will have to get this from one of the girls before I will believe that. If so, then he is ready to retire, and who could blame him. He has worked his proverbial butt off and made that hospital what it is today. Time to rest now. :shrug:

Confirmed: He is NOT leaving. Just checked with one of the girls. :biggrin:

He's to young to retire yet. I see Kirk only also unless it's an emergency. I have 3 dogs, 3 inside cats and 2 half feral cats which he takes care of. Two have Thyroid problems and are there every 3 months for testing and meds. My 2 Danes go there for their nails and a bath because I can't fit the male in the tub or cut his nails. You have to have a gang to do him or else knock him out for a little bit. I know Kirk and Ann worked their butts off and they were releived to be rid of the business part of the business, taxes, employee taxes etc... and yes he probably made a nice profit for them. But I'm sure he's not happy with some of the changes. When it was sold most beleived they would stay a few years and then go back to Ohio to retire. Now that Ann is no longer working there I hope it doesn't speed up whatever he is going to do. They have lost 2 Vets and many Vet Techs this year. Their hours (Vet Tech) were cut back, just like most companies trying to save money. But they've lost some good ones and I hope they can keep the other good ones.

dn0121

Some great people have left, agreed. I hope they do retire and maybe even open up a small practice or well clinic, if they move back and if it is something he still wants to do. He has been very generous over the years, and I have to believe he is not happy with the direction it has went.