Commute to NAS PAX

fjh3

I am starting a position at NAVAIR in April. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of where to live? I am used to living in a more urban are and looking for an area that has entertainment or an Annapolis like feel to it. Does that exist in southern Maryland? My girlfriend and I are in our early 30s and do not have any children.

I am also considering the National Harbor area. How far of a commute would it be from the National Harbor area? I did the drive outside of rush hour and it was roughly a hour. Would it be imflated greatly during rush hour?

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I am starting a position at NAVAIR in April. I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of where to live? I am used to living in a more urban are and looking for an area that has entertainment or an Annapolis like feel to it. Does that exist in southern Maryland? My girlfriend and I are in our early 30s and do not have any children.

I am also considering the National Harbor area. How far of a commute would it be from the National Harbor area? I did the drive outside of rush hour and it was roughly a hour. Would it be imflated greatly during rush hour?

National Harbor is almost too far of a commute. Your not going to get an Annapolis feel in Southern Maryland. Lexington Park is just outside of the base, and outside of Waldorf, it's as urban as it's going to get for the time being.

JBSOMD

National Harbor wouldnt be too too bad. You would hit some traffic in Waldorf, but its smooth sailing after that. I'm also in my early 30's and its worth the commute...believe me.

C

czygvtwkr

National Harbor wouldnt be too too bad. You would hit some traffic in Waldorf, but its smooth sailing after that. I'm also in my early 30's and its worth the commute...believe me.

Your talking a 2hr commute.

thurley42

HY;FR
1+ hour or so...depending on where you are on base. Not 2, but maybe it gets busier if you don't get in early.

This

I drive from base to Camp Springs 3 times a week at 430. It takes me about 65-70 minutes there and 50 minutes home

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

If you're considering the Natl. Harbor area my advice is to carry a gun, put bars on your windows and don't be out after dark. The harbor itself is nice but once you leave the confines, you're on your own in PG County.

If you don't mind a 1+ hour commute, there are MUCH better areas in Northern Calvert, Southern Anne Arundel.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
not what my coworker says. :shrug:

i wouldn't live out there. i'd reduce my commute some and be within shouting distance of the city. best of both worlds
It takes me a half hour to get to PAX from Budds Creek and 45-55 minutes to get to National Harbor. That's during NON rush hour. Do the easy math.

Oh and I have a lead foot.

Yahoo maps.....
Distance: 56.1590.4 mi Time: 1 hr 25 mins

* Starting in FORT WASHINGTON, MD on FORT WASHINGTON RD go toward LIVINGSTON RD - go 0.61.0 mikm
* Turn Right on INDIAN HEAD HWY(MD-210 S) - go 5.99.6 mikm
* Turn Left on BERRY RD(MD-228 E) - go 6.911.1 mikm
* Continue on LEONARDTOWN RD - go 3.96.2 mikm
* Continue on MD-5 S - go 15.625.0 mikm
* Continue on THREE NOTCH RD(MD-235 S) - go 18.630.0 mikm
* Turn Left on CEDAR POINT RD - go 0.10.2 mikm
* Turn Left on CUDDIHY RD
* Turn Right on BUNDY RD - go 0.30.5 mikm
* Bear Left on MANDT RD - go 0.20.4 mikm
* Bear Left on CEDAR POINT RD - go 2.84.6 mikm
* Bear Right on BRONSON RD - go 1.11.8 mikm

Last edited:
O

ohsnoes

No.

Prepare for culture shock now.

Well, let's see! In St. Mary's we have one nasty, slimy movie theater, one bowling alley that no one really wants to frequent because of the management, probably a dozen or more strip malls, plenty of fast-food joints, a new Olive Garden with lines around the building, a 1950's armory converted to a recreation center, sections of a 10-year-in-the planning road that goes nowhere, and some of the highest taxes in the country. Welcome to SoMD.

indianajane05

Victrix Patientia Duris

:killingme

Honestly, if you're willing to drive the two hours from the National Harbor area 5 days a week just for the entertainment, you're gonna be too tired by the end of the week to even do anything. My best advice is to get a house or apartment down here and go up there for your entertainment needs. It'll save you time, money, and a lot of grief trying to fight traffic. There's nowhere in the surrounding area that is even remotely like the National Harbor.

indianajane05

Victrix Patientia Duris
Well, let's see! In St. Mary's we have one nasty, slimy movie theater, one bowling alley that no one really wants to frequent because of the management, probably a dozen or more strip malls, plenty of fast-food joints, a new Olive Garden with lines around the building, a 1950's armory converted to a recreation center, sections of a 10-year-in-the planning road that goes nowhere, and some of the highest taxes in the country. Welcome to SoMD.

:yeahthat:

slowlane

It takes me a half hour to get to PAX from Budds Creek and 45-55 minutes to get to National Harbor. That's during NON rush hour. Do the easy math.

Oh and I have a lead foot.

Yahoo maps.....
Distance: 56.1590.4 mi Time: 1 hr 25 mins

* Starting in FORT WASHINGTON, MD on FORT WASHINGTON RD go toward LIVINGSTON RD - go 0.61.0 mikm
* Turn Right on INDIAN HEAD HWY(MD-210 S) - go 5.99.6 mikm
* Turn Left on BERRY RD(MD-228 E) - go 6.911.1 mikm
* Continue on LEONARDTOWN RD - go 3.96.2 mikm
* Continue on MD-5 S - go 15.625.0 mikm
* Continue on THREE NOTCH RD(MD-235 S) - go 18.630.0 mikm
* Turn Left on CEDAR POINT RD - go 0.10.2 mikm
* Turn Left on CUDDIHY RD
* Turn Right on BUNDY RD - go 0.30.5 mikm
* Bear Left on MANDT RD - go 0.20.4 mikm
* Bear Left on CEDAR POINT RD - go 2.84.6 mikm
* Bear Right on BRONSON RD - go 1.11.8 mikm

But, your directions above, appear to be starting right at the Fort Washington Post Office. (I used to live right there). National Harbor is another 10 minutes further north of there and officially within the Oxon Hill zipcode (although the Nat Hbr management strictly avoids any identification with Oxon Hill).

I'm glad someone told the original poster about the "Life in Southern Maryland" forum so he could post his question. I had seen and replied in detail to his same question on another website, the "City-Data.com Forum" yesterday.

BOP

National Harbor is almost too far of a commute. Your not going to get an Annapolis feel in Southern Maryland. Lexington Park is just outside of the base, and outside of Waldorf, it's as ghetto as it's going to get for the time being.

fixed:

nobody really

I need a nap
Northern Calvert

I moved to North Beach after my divorce. hour to Pax, 35 mins to Annapolis, about an hour to old towne alexandria and georgetown. Close to the beltway.

lisa8439

Based on what you have posted, I don't think you are going to be happy living in the Natl. Harbor area unless you live in northern VA - and that is one heck of a commute across the Wilson bridge everyday... rush hour is brutal in that area. Just driving from Pax River to Waldorf is going to be an hour+ with rush hour traffic. Driving from the base to the rt. 2/4 intersection during rush hour can take an extra half an hour - last night the traffic was horrible, I hit every red light, and it took me almost 40 minutes to drive 10 miles from the base. And traffic or not, the MD area around the Natl. Harbor is not somewhere that I would ever consider living... ghetto ghetto ghetto. You can't get everything you need at Natl. Harbor and when you have to go to the Oxon Hill Wal-Mart for something you are going to get a huge culture shock. Way too close to S.E. DC - and I can assure you that you aren't looking for that kind of entertainment. :lmao:

Are you thinking that this is going to be a permanent move for you? I am assuming that you aren't in the military and that you aren't going to be moving in 3 years... the PAX river BAH isn't going to cover any sort of rent/mortgage for a house in that area. If you aren't in the military and you are thinking that you might be in this position for quite some time, I think you should sit down and think about whether or not you might 'settle down' soon - if you are thinking of getting married and having kids, you might want to consider living in a more rural area that has better schools and driving for your entertainment.

While there isn't much to do around here, there are plenty of restaurants for weeknight dining and you would be close enough to go to DC/Nat. Harbor/Annapolis on the weekends. Is your girlfriend planning on working? Definitely something else to consider when trying to figure out where to live... if you are going to carpool then cool, if you both have a long commute because of different hours or whatever, then one of you is probably going to be burnt out every night and it won't even matter that you are a few miles away from great entertainment.

JCulver

Living around the base is not so bad. I am 29 and live at the Villas at Greenview right in Great Mills and it's about 5 min's from the base. Your still about an hour from Annapolis and DC. Hope that helps.

Jen

ohstate

If you're considering National Harbor, look at Alexandria near the beltway. I live near the King St Metro and commute across the bridge to Anacostia every day. Believe me, you're only adding 5-10 minutes tops on an average day and most of that is the lights getting to the beltway. The bridge is a breeze compared to the old days, unless, of course, there's a wreck, rain, or snow. If you want to ditch the commute, you might consider Solomons. Restaurants/bar are walking distance (although not close to the variety of Annapolis), it has the harbor and the boats, and there are condos, etc. At the very least, spend a weekend at a hotel B&B there to get the feel of the place. It's still pretty sleepy, especially in winter, but there seems to be a little community feel to the place.