St. Mary's Schools Seek Waiver for 5 Snow Days

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
At the Board of Education meeting of February 24, Dr. Michael Martirano, superintendent of schools, presented to the community the status of make-up days due to the recent inclement weather. He noted that schools have been closed 10 days and that 5 of those days are built into the school calendar, leaving 5 as make-up days. Pursuant to the Maryland State Board of Education action on Tuesday, February 23, for a limited waiver process for Maryland school system calendars affected by the historic snow storms of this winter, Dr. Martirano has asked for a waiver of the 5 remaining days.

Pending approval from the State Superintendent of Schools, there will be no required make-up days and the school system calendar will remain as is unless additional days are missed.

If further days are missed due to inclement weather, the plan would be as follows: April 30, 2010, would be a required day of school for students (currently a Professional Day for teachers) and one additional day would be added to the end of the school year calendar, making the last day of school for students Friday, June 18. This would only be required if additional days of school are missed. The Maryland School Assessment (MSA) Testing will remain on schedule in March, and Spring Break, which is March 29-April 5, will remain intact.

St. Mary's Schools Seek Waiver for 5 Snow Days - Southern Maryland Headline News

SoccerMom2

I hope we get a waiver. It would be easier that way. They can plan ahead for next year just in case it snows like it did.

blacklabman

I think the little bastages should go the required number of days. If they get a waiver, I should get a proportioned decrease in my property taxes.

nomoney

You know what kind of irks me? My 5th grader told me that because they missed all those days that they don't have social studies anymore. They are just cramming the days with what are on the MSA"s. Once the MSA's are over they'll go back to their regular schedules. So basically the school is playing catch up but only on the stuff that are on the standardized tests so that they can still get their funding when all the kids do good on em. Am I looking at that right?

SoccerMom2

just take away a few spring break days and the so called proffesional growth day and be done w/ it!

Im down with that. I know some other people won't. No matter what people are going to be upset with what they choose. The just need to hurry up and figure things out.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
At least St Mary's is proposing something. I haven't seen/heard anything reference what Calvert is going to do. Maybe wait until St Mary's decides and then copy them??:lol:

baileyboo

If they have a plan to make up two days why don't they ask for a waiver for 3 days and make up two days? I really think they should make them all up so next year when there is an inch of snow on the ground they'll think twice about closing schools.

I hope we get a waiver. It would be easier that way. They can plan ahead for next year just in case it snows like it did.

And it is thinking like this that puts our children behind intellectually on the world stage!

BEST MEAN SCORES: MATHS
Hong Kong-China: 550
Finland: 544
South Korea: 542
Netherlands: 538
Liechtenstein: 536

BEST MEAN SCORES: READING
Finland: 543
South Korea: 534
Canada: 528
Australia: 525
Liechtenstein: 525

BEST MEAN SCORES: SCIENCE
Finland: 548
Japan: 548
Hong Kong-China: 539
South Korea: 538
Macao-China: 525

** Results from the PISA study of 40 countries

SoccerMom2

And it is thinking like this that puts our children behind intellectually on the world stage!

BEST MEAN SCORES: MATHS
Hong Kong-China: 550
Finland: 544
South Korea: 542
Netherlands: 538
Liechtenstein: 536

BEST MEAN SCORES: READING
Finland: 543
South Korea: 534
Canada: 528

BEST MEAN SCORES: SCIENCE
Finland: 548
Japan: 548
Hong Kong-China: 539
South Korea: 538
Macao-China: 525

** Results from the PISA study of 40 countries

I only said that because i made thread on how they should make the days up. People couldn't agree on what should be done. In that thread i said take away spring break. They had there break already and i think spring break is stupid along with other holidays they don't need off. Other people didn't like that and wanted the school year to be extended. I wish school was all year round!

Last edited:
I only said that because there was thread made on how they should make the days up. People couldn't agree on what should be done. In that thread i said take away spring break. They had there break already and i think spring break is stupid along with other holidays they don't need off. Other people didn't like that and wanted the school year to be extended. I wish school was all year round!

.. . . .:yeahthat:

ylexot

Super Genius
I only said that because there was thread made on how they should make the days up. People couldn't agree on what should be done. In that thread i said take away spring break. They had there break already and i think spring break is stupid along with other holidays they don't need off. Other people didn't like that and wanted the school year to be extended. I wish school was all year round!

They don't need to agree. The School Board needs to decide and make it so (aka...do their job).