Municipality in CRE

stsssn

CRE Municipality

I am interested in converting POACRE into a municipality. It requires 25% of registered voters sign a petition. I was wondering what the interest is.

Is this something we would be interested in?

Take a look at the attached document and let me know your thoughts.

Let us not delve into our sordid past.

Attachments

• IncorporationHandbook2002, MML.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
O

ohsnoes

I am interested in converting POACRE into a municipality. It requires 25% of registered voters sign a petition. I was wondering what the interest is.

1st tell us how many houses the "engineer" is going to have "condemned" along the cliffs. Who is paying for the poor poor home owners who were 'duped' into buying their million dollar view, who's gamble has not panned out very well.

OmyGawd

This is all fine and dandy. My biggest question and I have asked this before is - What is the tax base going to be to pay for all the services that will be required? Since there is no industry or business tax base it all falls on the property owners. Without a better tax base how do we justify more tax burden on the people who live here? When some one can answer this basic question then maybe I'll listen.

Natron0915

????????????

Who are you and what are your motivations?

hotcoffee

This is all fine and dandy. My biggest question and I have asked this before is - What is the tax base going to be to pay for all the services that will be required? Since there is no industry or business tax base it all falls on the property owners. Without a better tax base how do we justify more tax burden on the people who live here? When some one can answer this basic question then maybe I'll listen.

If Eney & Vajda had their municipality they could save the cliffs and build their own airport but just raising the taxes.... we could only vote them off to get someone else... and we all know taxes never go down:coffee:

stsssn

Good question.

Amazingly, it is probable that our taxes will go down or at worst stay the same. If we were a municipality we would be eligible for 17% of the residence income tax. We get nothing right now. This is explained in the attached literature.

It will depend on the amount of services the community decides they want.

stsssn

Who are you and what are your motivations?

I am a homeowner that wants my road paved and some sort of plan that provides "hope" that my property values will rise in the future. It is impossible for any one individual to control this process. That is why I find it so interesting.

It requires registered voters to sign a petition and eventually vote on the proposed charter. Not property owners or members in good standing.

I want to spend the next year educating residents of CRE about this option. There are many details and we only have 18 months, once the petition is submitted, to have a referendum vote of the charter. We have to understand what is going on and vote.

Here are examples of the charters active in Maryland now.
Municipal Charters of Maryland

Last edited:

stsssn

:yeahthat:

And furthermore, did you attend/speak at the town hall meeting at the church last Saturday?

I was not at the church meeting. I will be at the POACRE BOD meeting Monday night if you would like to meet.

My goal is to get 1000 email addresses from residents over the next year. Send compiled information to them and let our neighbors educate our neighbors.

We may choose to have Police, Public works and an Airport. We may not. It is the communities vote that matters. I just want to understand, if I give time to the community to research and communicate this information, are we actually interested in voting yes at referendum. I am ready for a change.

thatguy

I was not at the church meeting. I will be at the POACRE BOD meeting Monday night if you would like to meet.

My goal is to get 1000 email addresses from residents over the next year. Send compiled information to them and let our neighbors educate our neighbors.

We may choose to have Police, Public works and an Airport. We may not. It is the communities vote that matters. I just want to understand, if I give time to the community to research and communicate this information, are we actually interested in voting yes at referendum. I am ready for a change.

it would be nice if the POA would just give you a list of the members names and addresses. THey wont, i have tried before. You would think that an idea like this, that could benifit the entire community, would be given space in the Newsletter, but the BOD doesn't want us to know anything. Makes it easier to do what they want with our money

MMDad

Lem Putt

Another layer of bureaucracy. Always more efficient!

Without an income source besides income and property taxes a municipality will fail.

Look at the few municipalities in the area. The beaches have a tourist trade and restaurants, and their government is more dysfunctional than the CRE board. Leonardtown has businesses.

CRE has _____________ (fill in the blank)

stsssn

Without an income source besides income and property taxes a municipality will fail.

Look at the few municipalities in the area. The beaches have a tourist trade and restaurants, and their government is more dysfunctional than the CRE board. Leonardtown has businesses.

We currently have the added layer of bureaucracy, it is POACRE. You are correct that we have a small tax base. Yet, POACRE runs services from fees alone. The taxes are used in the county.

Will the municipality fail worse than our current system?

If you have a better Idea I am happy to listen. As I am sure most residents would be.

ladyhawk

I am glad to finally see someone else that understands how this works! I worry that if a group of people do not realize what exactly a municpality entails, we not only will be paying what we currently do, but even more. Then the only benefit we get is the tax write off?

There are other municpalities in other states that have failed because people dont' educate themselves. Then you will have others in here telling them how we will be able to apply for grants, be elible for other tax money collected by the state... But they never show proof or an amount that we could be eligible for...

People need to do their own research (throughly) weighing the good and bad. Listening to those that have half the information will only have us digging into our pockets even deeper!

June

O

ohsnoes

I have no desire to meet yet another of Eney's minions. And I am done with the current BOD. Ineffective at best and criminal at worst and I won't waste another second of my time with any of them.

I lived in a very successful municipality for 30 years. Included in the municipal area was police, public works and a top notch recreation department among the many services afforded. The question is can it be done here.

And to June...when you live in a municipality, a portion of your county taxes get returned to the municipality. All you have to do is look at a Maryland tax form to figure that out.

stsssn

I have no desire to meet yet another of Eney's minions. And I am done with the current BOD. Ineffective at best and criminal at worst and I won't waste another second of my time with any of them.

I lived in a very successful municipality for 30 years. Included in the municipal area was police, public works and a top notch recreation department among the many services afforded. The question is can it be done here.

And to June...when you live in a municipality, a portion of your county taxes get returned to the municipality. All you have to do is look at a Maryland tax form to figure that out.

Name calling? Does not accomplish much.

The goal of this is to spread the word and start the education process. There will be a petition in the not so distant future. There will be a referendum vote. No single voice or opinion matters. The voters will decide.

Research yourself and spread the word.
Maryland Municipal League - The Association of Cities and Towns