camping around Richmond and points south

My Boy Scout Troop is looking for somewhere to camp when we visit a battlefield. Battlefield not picked yet. They want to go to Richmond, Va or Williamsburg areas. Most of the unit is military (big surprise I know), so if a military base has a campground (like Mataponi at PAX), that would work for us. Anybody know of a campsite?

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
BTW, that is one hideous AV..... :lol:

:yeahthat:
pardon me while I pour bleach in my eyes...........................

If you haven't yet, search all the battle fields in the area to see if they have camping too. We haven't camped in that area, but I heard there's some nice places west on the border of VA/NC.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My Boy Scout Troop is looking for somewhere to camp when we visit a battlefield. Battlefield not picked yet. They want to go to Richmond, Va or Williamsburg areas. Most of the unit is military (big surprise I know), so if a military base has a campground (like Mataponi at PAX), that would work for us. Anybody know of a campsite?

Figure all the Army bases would have camping sites.. Ft Lee? Ft Eustis? Or do a camp on a Battle Ship in Norfolk?

Don't know how far South or North you wan tto go.. but Ft Bragg, AP Hill??

poster

RV Park Reviews :: Home
We use this website to look for campgrounds, it includes reviews and cost.

Appomattox, VA we have been to and stayed at:
PARADISE LAKE FAMILY CAMPGROUND - APPOMATTOX, VA
Campground was ok, we tent camped, they have very nice/clean bathrooms.
Lake for fishing/swimming- they also had primitive cabins to rent.
There is lots of history in the town and they have a great visitor center, I believe there was a battle there. This is were Lee surrendered.
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - Be A Junior Ranger (U.S. National Park Service)
Took us about 4-5hrs to get there if I remember correctly, not sure how far you want to go.

Last edited: