Bordetella shot

dn0121

Anyone notice a low cost clinic or event going on for bordetella shots?

i forgot this is a nose spray not a shot but you got the idea.

Last edited:
J

jp2854

Anyone notice a low cost clinic or event going on for bordetella shots?

nope sorry haven't noticed. I just get the shot done at my vets office. Did you know if you take your dog to a groomer your dog might be required (depends on who grooms your dog) to have the dog flu shot. I just learned this when I took bruno to the vets and the groomer took her back to get rid of her matts. Guess the next time i take bruno for her shots she will be getting that one too.

It seems like they are now coming out with all these new shots for the animals to help protect them.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Do you board your dog or go to dog parks? It's not really a necessary shot unless your dog will be around a lot of other dogs.

and even then it may not be effective.. there are so many strains of it.

Mine were vacc. against it and still got it... well some strain of it. There is a test you can send away for to find out what it is.

dt5255

Southern States used to sell the shots(they still might) or the amish feed place in loveville sells them. you can give them yourself (very easy) just make sure you take the labels off the bottles and put them on an index card with the date and receipt. If you are boarding most kennels will accept that as proof.

SoMDGirl42

and even then it may not be effective.. there are so many strains of it.

Mine were vacc. against it and still got it... well some strain of it. There is a test you can send away for to find out what it is.

:yeahthat: I gave up getting the shot after the third time they were infected with it, not long after getting the shots.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Southern States used to sell the shots(they still might) or the amish feed place in loveville sells them. you can give them yourself (very easy) just make sure you take the labels off the bottles and put them on an index card with the date and receipt. If you are boarding most kennels will accept that as proof.

No need to give something to them that they don't need.

dn0121

Thanks, its the kennel rule not mine. I think all these shots are overboard. Please dont start a discussion about kennels vs pet sitting now :lol:

3labs

Thanks, its the kennel rule not mine. I think all these shots are overboard. Please dont start a discussion about kennels vs pet sitting now :lol:

You can give them the nasal spray yourself, as long as you keep the labels and receipt for the kennel (at least the two kennels we take our dogs to are fine with it). It is around $5 at the Tractor Supply store.

dn0121

You can give them the nasal spray yourself, as long as you keep the labels and receipt for the kennel (at least the two kennels we take our dogs to are fine with it). It is around $5 at the Tractor Supply store.

cool that is what I plan on doing, thanks for the $100 in savings everyone! the kennel will accept it im sure, i have a connection :lol:

J

jp2854

$30 at Three Notch Vet. And they know what they are doing when they administer it.

I agree with roxie I would take the dog to the vet and have someone who knows what they are doing administer the shot.

Also they might require you to have the dog flu shot now too you need to call up and ask them about that just so you aren't thrown through a loop and told you need to get your dog that shot before you can board him/her.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I do think DN and B can handle it! Calm down everyone.... giving a bordetella shot does not take a degree! You mix it... REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE TIP!!! and "try" to give half in each nostril without the dog blowing it back in your mouth... so keep your mouth shut!

Other Shots just go SQ... not that hard. (just try not to always give them between the shoulder blade)

It think B has the qualifications to do this.... TRUST ME!!!!!

Cowgirl

I agree with roxie I would take the dog to the vet and have someone who knows what they are doing administer the shot.

It's really not hard at all to give shots and I don't think there is anything wrong with giving vaccines yourself as long as you handle it properly. It saves a TON of money. I don't need to be paying three times as much (or more) to take an animal to the vet when I can do the same thing myself.

SoMDGirl42

It's really not hard at all to give shots and I don't think there is anything wrong with giving vaccines yourself as long as you handle it properly. It saves a TON of money. I don't need to be paying three times as much (or more) to take an animal to the vet when I can do the same thing myself.

:yeahthat: I was a phlebotomist for 17 years, an EMT from age 16, an IV-Tech for many years, and I worked in a doctors office giving shots to children and adults alike.

Giving a shot to an animal is a piece of cake. If you have half a brain cell, why pay someone else to do it, it's not hard. I've been doing my own dogs shots for years.

A rabies shot is the only shot required by law to be given by a veterinarian's office.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yeahthat: I was a phlebotomist for 17 years, an EMT from age 16, an IV-Tech for many years, and I worked in a doctors office giving shots to children and adults alike.

Giving a shot to an animal is a piece of cake. If you have half a brain cell, why pay someone else to do it, it's not hard. I've been doing my own dogs shots for years.

A rabies shot is the only shot required by law to be given by a veterinarian's office.

:yeahthat:

.... now with all that said... Im scared to give one of my dogs his bordetella shot..... :killingme:killingme It took 4 of us vet techs and the vet to do it last time and Im happy to report that I have been vacc. for bordetella!! :faint::killingme .... and it was longer than an 8 sec ride!!!

Roxie04

Last time my dog got it i don't know who got more of it, her or me.
People can do what they want, but if i was going to start giving my dog vaccinations myself i woud want someone qualified to show me how to do it the first time.