Pregnant dog, vet recommendations

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I have a pregant Lab. The only vet I've used it Well Pet Clinic to have my male dogs shots done. She was up to date on shots when we got her. Well Pet recommended I have a full service vet in case we need them during delivery. She had her shots done (by previous owners) at the new vet in Mechanicsville (Companion Care?). Previous owner thought they did a lot of extras and bill was high. I have no experience with anyone other than Well pet. Any recommendations would be great. TIA.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Are you looking in St. Mary's? A lot of people like All Kinds.

Was she pregnant when you got her?

Littlebit

I have a pregant Lab. The only vet I've used it Well Pet Clinic to have my male dogs shots done. She was up to date on shots when we got her. Well Pet recommended I have a full service vet in case we need them during delivery. She had her shots done (by previous owners) at the new vet in Mechanicsville (Companion Care?). Previous owner thought they did a lot of extras and bill was high. I have no experience with anyone other than Well pet. Any recommendations would be great. TIA.

Three Notch Vet on Airport Rd off 235 going north. Dr. Vietch is awesome with animals. He was our vet for years.

aubriana

All Kinds in Callaway!! Are the best!!!

leonardtowngal

All Kinds ...they are the best!!!

C

campinmutt

Three Notch Vet on Airport Rd off 235 going north. Dr. Vietch is awesome with animals. He was our vet for years.

Dr Matteson at three knotch has been my dog vet for 15 years or so....even before she was married and was over here at Prince Frederick animal hospital. I followed her over to three knotch. she takes extra care to research everything and has alot of compassion for the animals. Love her !!

Loper

Animal Poor!
Dr Matteson at three knotch has been my dog vet for 15 years or so....even before she was married and was over here at Prince Frederick animal hospital. I followed her over to three knotch. she takes extra care to research everything and has alot of compassion for the animals. Love her !!

:yay: Dr. Matteson is great, as well as Dr. O'Connor and Dr. Feldhaus at Three Notch... I've been taking my dogs there since 1991.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Thank you all for the great suggestions. And to answer the one question, no she was not pregnant when we got her. We had her for a couple weeks then we mated her. If I'm correct she's due somewhere within the last 7-10 days of the month. Kids are super excited.

bookrat

Thank you all for the great suggestions. And to answer the one question, no she was not pregnant when we got her. We had her for a couple weeks then we mated her. If I'm correct she's due somewhere within the last 7-10 days of the month. Kids are super excited.

Why did you breed her?
You a top notch breeder AKC lab kennel with a lot of ribbons and all that Dog Show stuff?
Does she a AKC pedigree?
Is she thata perfect lab that you want to better the breed by making her have puppies?

Know how many back yard breeders contribute to the pet opvepopulation problem here in Maryland?
What fool would breed a dog after only having said dog for 2 weeks....you cant evaluate her to the AKC standard.

And you breed her with out having a vet do a full exam on her and have the vet on call for when she delivers?
And then come here to asl for a recommendation?

Know how many dogs are killed at Tri-County cause they got no home because of back yard breeders like you?

Or did you get her knocked up so your kids can experience the miricle of birth?
Better show them the miricle of death too...take them to the shelter when they kill all the unwanted dogs and puppies....if ya gonna teach them...teach them everthing! Birth and Death!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Why did you breed her?
You a top notch breeder AKC lab kennel with a lot of ribbons and all that Dog Show stuff?
Does she a AKC pedigree?
Is she thata perfect lab that you want to better the breed by making her have puppies?

Know how many back yard breeders contribute to the pet opvepopulation problem here in Maryland?
What fool would breed a dog after only having said dog for 2 weeks....you cant evaluate her to the AKC standard.

And you breed her with out having a vet do a full exam on her and have the vet on call for when she delivers?
And then come here to asl for a recommendation?

Know how many dogs are killed at Tri-County cause they got no home because of back yard breeders like you?

Or did you get her knocked up so your kids can experience the miricle of birth?
Better show them the miricle of death too...take them to the shelter when they kill all the unwanted dogs and puppies....if ya gonna teach them...teach them everthing! Birth and Death!

STFU!!! They are both full bred Labs and we wanted to breed her once. I already have arrangements to have them fixed after. She's had an exam right before we got her from a vet but I do not want to use them so I asked for a recommendation. I am not a backyard breeder. I do not go around letting my dogs get knocked up just so my kids can witness birth. Don't ever talk about my children. You do not know me or them. I know all about dogs at shelters. I have rescued a few in my life.

boxerluverz

I'm with Bookrat on this one!!! Having boxers, the breed with probably one of the longest list of health conditions possible in the dog world, i've seen first hand what happens when people "want to breed a dog just once" "think there dog should have just one litter" "think there dog is cute and would make a good momma/daddy" There are so many back yard breeders in southern maryland there are already more puppies out there than will ever find homes...driving home from work everyday i see at least 1 or 2 stray animals, and they probably came from situations that began as innocently as someone having just one litter of puppies.

With regards to the quote about companion care in mechanicsville, yes they may be expensive, and may do "extras" but they practise a high standard of medicine in my opinion and treat my animals well - it's like anything else nowadays - you only get what you pay for

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm with Bookrat on this one!!! Having boxers, the breed with probably one of the longest list of health conditions possible in the dog world, i've seen first hand what happens when people "want to breed a dog just once" "think there dog should have just one litter" "think there dog is cute and would make a good momma/daddy" There are so many back yard breeders in southern maryland there are already more puppies out there than will ever find homes...driving home from work everyday i see at least 1 or 2 stray animals, and they probably came from situations that began as innocently as someone having just one litter of puppies.

With regards to the quote about companion care in mechanicsville, yes they may be expensive, and may do "extras" but they practise a high standard of medicine in my opinion and treat my animals well - it's like anything else nowadays - you only get what you pay for

I agree you get what you pay for. I don't have any personal experience with any vets around here except Well Pet. I take my dog there to have all of his shots updated and he will go there to be neutered. I was just asking for recommendations because of my limited experience with vets in the area.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
While I don't agree with your reason to breed her, I do applaud you for your caring and desire to do your best for her. I would also recommend you do some reading on Whelping a litter. I like the books by Myra Savant Harris her website maybe helpful too Canine Reproduction and Whelping by Myra Savant Harris. There is also Debbie Jensen website with lots of useful info including a whelping calendar that details what is happening with the pups and mom this site is Dog Breeding and Canine Reproduction by Debbie Jensen. Dog Breeding and Whelping guide for dog breeders.. I wish you all the best.

frequentflier

happy to be living
STFU!!! They are both full bred Labs and we wanted to breed her once. I already have arrangements to have them fixed after. She's had an exam right before we got her from a vet but I do not want to use them so I asked for a recommendation. I am not a backyard breeder. I do not go around letting my dogs get knocked up just so my kids can witness birth. Don't ever talk about my children. You do not know me or them. I know all about dogs at shelters. I have rescued a few in my life.

Have the parents been tested for hip dysplasia? Genetics is the main reason veterinarians point to as far as the cause of the disease is concerned. Studies have shown that when a parent dog has hip dysplasia, there is a very high chance that its offspring will have the same problem too.

Last edited: