The cats are back

TurboK9

and trying to get my fish. Why is it that I have to keep my dog confined so he won't kill the neighbors 50 cent cat but nobody cares if my neighbors cat comes into my yard and kills my $100 koi?

Can I shoot it? The dang things are too fast for the dogs to get, and they keep coming back. Stoopid cats. Maybe I should go into the cat thread and warn those that may live near me to lock up their kitties so as they don't get dead.

I like cats OK and all, but enough is a friggin' nuff.

Live traps won't do because I have no use for a bunch of captured cats, LOL. Besides, what could be more attractive bait than live, swimming, tasty fishies?

Cowgirl

Do you know who owns the cats? If so, maybe you could talk to the owners and tell them they'll be getting a bill if your fish are killed. Or, you can wait with a garden hose. Or get one of those water cannons that go off when there's movement. Or maybe you can put some netting over the water? What do you do to protect them from herons and other animals?

KVF323

put mousetraps all around the pond or fly paper! then the owners will have to find a way to get the fly paper off :yay:

TurboK9

Do you know who owns the cats? If so, maybe you could talk to the owners and tell them they'll be getting a bill if your fish are killed. Or, you can wait with a garden hose. Or get one of those water cannons that go off when there's movement. Or maybe you can put some netting over the water? What do you do to protect them from herons and other animals?

Seriously? Who owns them? Have you ever tried to follow a cat? They go in over fences much better than I.

Seriously though, I think I might know who owns one of them. But just the one. There are about five here that frequent my yard...

Funny thing is the one belongs (I think) to a lady down the street who recently had another cat killed when said killed cat wandered into a fenced yard occupied by a large Lab. Mr. Lab chased the cat, cat went over fence, Lab went THROUGH the fence, chased the cat into the cat owners yard and killed it right in front of her. She of course, blames the dog and dog's owner.

*sigh*

Not much of a shot at getting her to control her cat, if it is hers. She's one of those "my cat can go where it wants and you have to deal with it" people. Oh, I'll deal with it, alright. :evil:

TurboK9

put mousetraps all around the pond or fly paper! then the owners will have to find a way to get the fly paper off :yay:

:yahoo: I get to peel fly paper off my dogs, or pick it all up before letting them out to pee and poop. Um, no. Cute idea and all, but, not practical for me!

Unless... hmmmm I can make flypaper removal a chore for the boys... yeah....:killingme

TurboK9

paint ball gun! What a great way to spend an afternoon.

I like this one. Can I substitute "shot" for "Paint Ball"? LOL. I don't own a paint ball gun... and I aint spending a couple hunny dollars to get one neither. Gots me a high powered air rifle... I wonder if anyone sells wax .22 caliber pellets? :evil:

KVF323

:yahoo: I get to peel fly paper off my dogs, or pick it all up before letting them out to pee and poop. Um, no. Cute idea and all, but, not practical for me!

Unless... hmmmm I can make flypaper removal a chore for the boys... yeah....:killingme
do your dogs go to the pond where your fish are often?

TurboK9

do your dogs go to the pond where your fish are often?

Yup yup. They like to lay near it in the summer and sometimes stand there watching the fish, or investigating frogs. Don't bother the fishies though.

They are not out all the time though, they live inside and just go out from time to time during the day. So no doggies to guard the fishes 24/7.

And of course, what would happen if a cat got all wrapped up in flypaper and couldn't run away and I opened the door to let the dogs out not knowing it was there.... That's one mess I'm not sure I'd want to clean up!

KVF323

Yup yup. They like to lay near it in the summer and sometimes stand there watching the fish, or investigating frogs. Don't bother the fishies though.

They are not out all the time though, they live inside and just go out from time to time during the day. So no doggies to guard the fishes 24/7.

And of course, what would happen if a cat got all wrapped up in flypaper and couldn't run away and I opened the door to let the dogs out not knowing it was there.... That's one mess I'm not sure I'd want to clean up!
apparently my train of thought doesnt go passed the first stop :lmao:

PrepH4U

I like this one. Can I substitute "shot" for "Paint Ball"? LOL. I don't own a paint ball gun... and I aint spending a couple hunny dollars to get one neither. Gots me a high powered air rifle... I wonder if anyone sells wax .22 caliber pellets? :evil:

You can get a non-automatic cheapy pb gun at walmart for under $50.00. That's only 1/2 the cost of one Koi. :whistle:

TurboK9

I want to know what's going to happen when raccons and/or herons find the koi. :whistle:

We haven't had a problem with coons because I have NO problem shooting a coon with my pellet rifle. They don't come back. Not enough power to kill 'em but they know not to come around.

Herons, easy. We had a brief issue last summer... Couple of 'flamingo' type statuaries works really good, they just don't come around any more. That, and the dogs will notice them right away, must be the size / sound of the wings, but they bark and the herons leave. Cats are just too sneaky when the dogs are in the house.

Different issues anyway. Even if they did get at my fish, does that make it ok for the cats? Frankly, it ticks me off that I have to take measures to protect the contents of my FENCED yard, which include my fish of course, from other peoples pets, namely of course, cats in this case. Not really a problem with wildlife... maybe the smell of the dogs alone is warning to them... But the cats are a regular problem.

Heck this morning at 3AM one was walking across my back deck. I of course had to wake up my lazy dogs and send them on a mission, which was brief and resulted in much running about in circles as the cat cleared the fence before they got their heads out the door, LOL.

If people where I live would take responsibility for their animals and keep them confined I wouldn't be debating shooting cats.

Silly but the whole thing is really getting to me. I don't want to hurt them, but I do want them gone, and in a way I really do want to hurt them, LOL. I'm so torn!

Cowgirl

Different issues anyway. Even if they did get at my fish, does that make it ok for the cats? Frankly, it ticks me off that I have to take measures to protect the contents of my FENCED yard, which include my fish of course, from other peoples pets, namely of course, cats in this case

I'm not saying it's ok for people to let their cats roam. I'm saying if I had a pond full of $100 fish, I'd probably protect them with some type of netting because you never know what might try to get them.

I'm not sure if you're looking for a solution to the problem if you're just venting. :shrug: Seems you're not really looking for a solution.

and trying to get my fish. Why is it that I have to keep my dog confined so he won't kill the neighbors 50 cent cat but nobody cares if my neighbors cat comes into my yard and kills my $100 koi?

Can I shoot it? The dang things are too fast for the dogs to get, and they keep coming back. Stoopid cats. Maybe I should go into the cat thread and warn those that may live near me to lock up their kitties so as they don't get dead.

I like cats OK and all, but enough is a friggin' nuff.

Live traps won't do because I have no use for a bunch of captured cats, LOL. Besides, what could be more attractive bait than live, swimming, tasty fishies?

Maybe you should raise piranha instead.

TurboK9

I'm not saying it's ok for people to let their cats roam. I'm saying if I had a pond full of $100 fish, I'd probably protect them with some type of netting because you never know what might try to get them.

I'm not sure if you're looking for a solution to the problem if you're just venting. :shrug: Seems you're not really looking for a solution.

Oh we have a net. It's not on all the time because it isn't the most attractive thing in the world. O have it mainly to keep leaves out in the fall. Still, it'll stop herons but not cats. They are crafty buggers, they find spots to sneak under because the pond is ringed with stones, and there are small gaps.

Yes I am looking for a solution. So far I like KVF's best. Vlad the impaler style. :evil: And yes, I'm venting too.

Mayhap I'll just reinforce the fence and leave Harley out during the day.