Place to buy a stylish cane in So Md?

AeroTaken

Anybody know of any places in this area that sell canes? Not the old lady canes they sell at the drug stores....but something interesting, unique, different?

Had achilles tendon surgery in January and should be able to start walking with a cane in the next 2 or 3 weeks. This has been the LONGEST recovery ever...and I'm so tired of crutches. Can't wait to be walking again, but would rather do it with some kind of style!!! I know I can order online, but figured if there was a local business that carried them I'd rather support them!!!

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Actually Ace Hardware in Lusby had some really nice canes. My husband had knee surgery and needed one, he didn't want the old lady cane, he found a really nice cedar cane at Ace. They had some that were very unique.

Anybody know of any places in this area that sell canes? Not the old lady canes they sell at the drug stores....but something interesting, unique, different?

Had achilles tendon surgery in January and should be able to start walking with a cane in the next 2 or 3 weeks. This has been the LONGEST recovery ever...and I'm so tired of crutches. Can't wait to be walking again, but would rather do it with some kind of style!!! I know I can order online, but figured if there was a local business that carried them I'd rather support them!!!

The cane store.

AeroTaken

Actually Ace Hardware in Lusby had some really nice canes. My husband had knee surgery and needed one, he didn't want the old lady cane, he found a really nice cedar cane at Ace. They had some that were very unique.

Thanks! I would have never thought to look there.

I have looked online and its just hard to judge what will fit and be fairly comfortable without seeing it. Oh and I thought about the pimp cane or something with a skull or a dragon, but most of those (unless I wanted to spend $300+) are nikel with silver or bronze plating and since I have a nikel alergy that ain't gonna work!!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Thanks! I would have never thought to look there.

I have looked online and its just hard to judge what will fit and be fairly comfortable without seeing it. Oh and I thought about the pimp cane or something with a skull or a dragon, but most of those (unless I wanted to spend $300+) are nikel with silver or bronze plating and since I have a nikel alergy that ain't gonna work!!

I think the one my husband got was about 30 bucks, it's really nice.

spinner

canes

We have some beautiful locally handmade canes at the Craft Guild store in Leonardtown on Rt 5 next to the antique center. I'm trying to remember I think they exotic wood with brass fittings. You could call over there the number is 301 997 1644.
I also know a woman that makes carved canes, I'd have to find her number, I haven't seen her in awhile. She used to carve any design you wanted into it.

Sadysue

How about the Bargain Barn or the Farmers Market in Charlotte Hall?

AeroTaken

We have some beautiful locally handmade canes at the Craft Guild store in Leonardtown on Rt 5 next to the antique center. I'm trying to remember I think they exotic wood with brass fittings. You could call over there the number is 301 997 1644.
I also know a woman that makes carved canes, I'd have to find her number, I haven't seen her in awhile. She used to carve any design you wanted into it.

Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow. Where exactly is that located? (like near what?) I was in Prince Frederick this morning and checked at the Lemondrop Whatnot Shop - I didn't really think they'd have anything, BUT I love to go in there anyway so was a good excuse!!

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow. Where exactly is that located? (like near what?) I was in Prince Frederick this morning and checked at the Lemondrop Whatnot Shop - I didn't really think they'd have anything, BUT I love to go in there anyway so was a good excuse!!

Wow...that is one awesome store name! I want to go there now and I have no idea whats in it.

spinner

The Crafts Guild Shop is on Rt 5 south of Leonardtown on the left if you are heading south. Right next to the Antique Center, there is a framing shop and a computer place in the same building. Just after Vintage Values.

Carabella

Lousy Customer Service

I wouldn't buy anything from the Lemondrop whether in PF or La Plata if my life depended on it. One of their salesgirls dropped an ornament I was purchasing, never said a word and packaged it up. When I arrived home and discovered it was broken I called the store and was told 'all sales are final'. Granted the PF store is closing, but in this case, I should have received a refund for the damage. Over the next five days I called no less than three times and each time was told I'd receive a call back. Nothing. When I called again, I was essentially called a liar by the young girl who stated she was the manager. She refused to provide the number for the owner, Jorgina Colyn. The La Plata store was no more helpful. It's amazing to me that customer service seems to be dead anymore. I would not ever recommend this store to anyone. Huge thumbs down!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Antique shops and malls..Leonardtown, St. Leonard...Loveville..

You could probably even find one with a sword built in..or even a blackpowder gun.

Have you thought about making your own? I just made a REAL nice walking stick. It started out as a sapling about 10' tall that somebody (NOT me) pulled out of the ground. I trimmed all the small roots off of it. It had a nice thick root going at a 90 deg angle to the base of the tree, but I cut it off too. Had I left it, it would have made a nice handle for a cane. I did leave the gnarly root ball base which became the head of the walking stick. There is a groove in it that is a perfect fit for my thumb. Anyway, after trimming off roots, I cut it to the length I wanted it, then stripped the bark off with my pocket knife. I tried not to cut into the wood when doing so. Then I lightly sanded with 220 grit and then 0000 steel wool (only enough to smooth it out, not enough to take away all the color variations/character in the wood). Once smooth, I put about 10 coats of danish oil on it. It looks real nice.